Metal Armor - Yikatihaki - Flaktual

Now with 20% more special snowflake! Also permits from CentCom go here too.

Moderator: Lore Masters

Metal Armor - Yikatihaki - Flaktual

Postby Flaktual » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Name of Item: Metal Armor

Item description: Scraps of metal cobbled together into something resembling a Vox chest-piece (I don't remember the description, its already in game)

Sprites (or link to sprites): The same as the metal armor already in game

Any additional resources: Nothing here

BYOND Key (Username): flaktual

Name of Character: Yikatihaki

Main Job(s) of Character: Maintenance Technician, Explorer

Why your character should have this item: IC they are a survivor of a failed vox raid that was pressed into service by NanoTrasen, it makes IC sense that they would have had this with them when captured and I think it would be cool to retain it as something on their character. Additionally, I happen to assist the Expedition team quite frequently even when not specifically part of it because they need a sapper or something and I prefer this to wearing a hardsuit or voidsuit on Virgo 4. Mostly its just a really cool item that would be found on a Vox raider and fits into the work I typically end up doing quite well.

Additional Notes: If its undoable in this form, I would be nearly as happy if I were given a nerfed set with lowered values, but again the metal armor isn't the most effective armor and I'd be really happy with it.

Fluff Item slots already used: 0
Flaktual

Re: Metal Armor - Yikatihaki - Flaktual

Postby Nanaki » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 pm

Probably should be job locked to exploration, since there is no reason to have the armor as off duty or engineer.

Also probably should have its own armor values toned down a bit to be equivalent of basic explorer armor. The base rusted metal armor has silly amounts of armor for what it is (60/30/30) my guess is because it is antag gear and not for any actual logical reason.
Nanaki

Postby Flaktual » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Nanaki wrote:Probably should be job locked to exploration, since there is no reason to have the armor as off duty or engineer.

Also probably should have its own armor values toned down a bit to be equivalent of basic explorer armor. The base rusted metal armor has silly amounts of armor for what it is (60/30/30) my guess is because it is antag gear and not for any actual logical reason.

I agree with is being joblocked, I just don't know a thing about how that would work and if I would need a new item coded. On the area of nerfing it, I'd prefer to keep the same armor values because for exploration I've always been a fan of armor over void/hardsuits because it just feels more fluid. The set doesn't come with any leg armor or helmet like some armor sets I've used that are available on station and from cargo so I'd still be pretty exposed in other areas. I'm not sure if you agree, but I can just find a few good reasons to myself that would justify leaving it the same.
Flaktual

Postby Nanaki » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 pm

It has the same coverage as explorer armor.

Code: Select all
/obj/item/clothing/suit/armor/vox_scrap
   name = "rusted metal armor"
   desc = "A hodgepodge of various pieces of metal scrapped together into a rudimentary vox-shaped piece of armor."
   allowed = list(/obj/item/weapon/gun, /obj/item/weapon/tank)
   armor = list(melee = 60, bullet = 30, laser = 30,energy = 5, bomb = 40, bio = 0, rad = 0) //Higher melee armor versus lower everything else.
   icon_state = "vox-scrap"
   icon_state = "vox-scrap"
   body_parts_covered = UPPER_TORSO|ARMS|LOWER_TORSO|LEGS
   species_restricted = list(SPECIES_VOX)
   siemens_coefficient = 1 //Its literally metal

Explorer armor for comparison.
Code: Select all
/obj/item/clothing/suit/storage/hooded/explorer
   name = "explorer suit"
   desc = "An armoured suit for exploring harsh environments."
   icon_state = "explorer"
   item_state = "explorer"
   flags = THICKMATERIAL
   body_parts_covered = UPPER_TORSO|LOWER_TORSO|LEGS|ARMS
   min_cold_protection_temperature = SPACE_SUIT_MIN_COLD_PROTECTION_TEMPERATURE
   cold_protection = UPPER_TORSO|LOWER_TORSO|LEGS|ARMS
   hoodtype = /obj/item/clothing/head/hood/explorer
   siemens_coefficient = 0.9
   armor = list(melee = 30, bullet = 20, laser = 20, energy = 20, bomb = 35, bio = 75, rad = 35) // Inferior to sec vests in bullet/laser but better for environmental protection.
   allowed = list(
      /obj/item/device/flashlight,
      /obj/item/weapon/gun,
      /obj/item/ammo_magazine,
      /obj/item/weapon/melee,
      /obj/item/weapon/material/knife,
      /obj/item/weapon/tank,
      /obj/item/device/radio,
      /obj/item/weapon/pickaxe
      )
Nanaki

Postby Flaktual » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 pm

What I meant was it doesn't come with head protection and doesn't provide the same environmental protection, if I could get a set that provides the same stats and benefits of explorer armor I would gladly settle for it. I just don't want to seek out to get an entirely new item coded for the occasions on which I happen to play my Vox as an Explorer.
Flaktual

Return to Fluff Items / Permits