Ricky's Admin staff application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Ricky's Admin staff application

Postby Adinatheblonde » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 pm

BYOND Key: Ricky_madenson
Discord ID: Attack on Waifu#4425
How old are you?: 21
When you are most active? (including timezone): GMT+1
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: 2-4 days
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Adina Reilly, Grea Hannover, and M.U.
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: Since 2010-2011
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: Since 2017 or 18. Since I was 18. I'm bad at math okay.
Explain what most interests you about being staff: Being able to help behind the scenes, and provide assistance to IC-related matters in the form of Central Command.
Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: If there is anything I dislike about being staff, it's probably the more mechanics-heavy aspect. I hope to improve a little more on these abilities.
Describe what role-playing means to you: Roleplaying to me means that one potrays a character in a specific setting, enviroment in many forms of media. The goal is to immerse yourself into a completely different role, or person.
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: A problem player is often time someones who (unintentionally) acts unruly either because of limited knowledge or other reasons.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A toxic player is someone who actively tries to challenge the rules, incite others to do so or simply wishes to make matters worse for others being deliberately acting like a nuisance.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Admin abuse would be the misuse of admin tools to benefit oneself or those close to yourself. It would also mean using your authority to intimidate or seek unnecessary favours that are beyond professional.
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: Cliques
How would you have it resolved?: Minor social events to open people up to one another. Characters dont' have to dislike each other just because your OOC notes don't measure up after all.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: Ask who the person in question is. Then check VVs to determine what they've done. If red text checks out that they have been grieving. I'd Ahelp the person to cease their activity. If they refuse, I'd wind them to keep them in place. Then question them on their behaviour. If it was an accident, I'd give feedback on what to do and remind them of the rules. Then leave it with a note for staff to see. If they did it deliberate, then I'll issue a warning or if it was something as grand as atmos grief, bombing grief, then a straight up ban. Someone will the capability to commit atmos grief of bombing grief has knowledge on with this entails and how to trigger these types of disastrous events. They are usually deliberate.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: I would first calm them down, then I'd explain what it is that they did wrong (given what scenario would take place that is) but also what they didn't, and then provide feedback on how to improve themselves.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: Question both individual on potential witnesses, then seek out said individuals to compare witness testimonies. Before that, I'd also check the VVs and PPs to determine what logs say.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: I would consult with the rest of the staff team. in the end, we as a staff team can still make the final decision. When alone, and after having already checked PP and VVs etc, with no concrete evidence. Even after interviewing some people etc. I'd probably let them go. I can't ban/kick them without the concrete evidence, and have to accept that fact.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: Advice the complainents to perhaps try and resolve this ICly. If the character in question is in no breach of the rules, but still prove to be a problem IC, then it could be resolved ICly. IC reprimands could potentially resolve the issue regarding said character if hte problem at hand is an IC-related problem.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: I'd tell the first one to calm down. Throwing insults isn't helping anyone, and I'd instruct them to give me the headlines on what transpired. While obtaining this info, I'd ask the 2nd one what prompted them to ignore Rules of Engagement (assuming they're security), and if their character is anything BUT security or security-related personnel, I'd ask why their character would put themselves into such a dangerous situation and resort to such violence. I'd ask the third one what made them attack other people. If it turns out to be related, I'd ask them their side of the story, and instruct them to read the rules following it and to not use a previous fight as an excuse to kill people.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: I've been a moderator and admin on Aurorastation for approx 2 years. I also have a year of experience as server owner of a large Macro/GTS community (which unfortunately shrunk as a result of a raid. Yes, that was a size joke.).

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
I have the experience. I'm open to critique and don't mind working in teams whatsoever. I am also pretty good and Smash Ultimate and will fight you to prove it.
Last edited by Adinatheblonde on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adinatheblonde

Re: Ricky's staff application

Postby Nanaki » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Which staff position are you applying for?
Nanaki

Re: Ricky's staff application

Postby Adinatheblonde » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:40 am

Nanaki wrote:Which staff position are you applying for?

I feel so dumb for not actually adding that to the topic, but its admin. Will edit the topic.
Adinatheblonde

Re: Ricky's Admin staff application

Postby Aces » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:15 am

Nothing strikes me in this application as anything more than mediocre, I'm afraid.
Aces

Postby PontifexMinimus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:30 pm

I have checked the activity of your account on Splunk.

You barely play or are active on the discord, so I do not think you would be a good addition to the team solely because you barely interact with the community.
PontifexMinimus

Postby Slingblade » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:52 pm

Thank you for showing interest in being a member of the staff but upon review of your activity I've found it terribly wanting. For this application round I'm going to have to give no support towards your application but that is entirely due to lack of activity. I think if you show more interest in the community and play more often you would be a better candidate.
Slingblade

Postby JoanRisu » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:50 pm

You have a concept of cooperation with other staff and understand the tools. That is good. Unfortunately, the big hurdle right now is community interaction/activity. Additionally, I would like for you to expand more on some of your definitions by giving examples or just following up with a clarification on what you mean.

Work on being more active and resubmit an app during the next round. I do not see any indication that you are causing problems, so I can comfortably invite you back to try again.

Application for this hiring round is rejected.
JoanRisu

Return to Staff Applications