ItsAKet - Admin

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

ItsAKet - Admin

Postby ItsAKat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 am

BYOND Key:ItsAKet
Discord ID: CoconutAvocado#8170
How old are you?: 23
When you are most active? (including timezone): Typically around roughly from the afternoon to even mornings if something gets very involved within the Atlantic Standard (GMT-4) Timezone.
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: It fluctuates rather massively, but it can range from at least ten hours to even Fourty.
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Farren Fruit, Justus Jurkovich, KE-(093-)T
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: Roughly 5-6 Months by now.
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: ... Exactly the same time.
Explain what most interests you about being staff: From simple GM stuff, to even lore Contributions, there is an interest in getting involved with the game world in a somewhat involved way. Trying to make stories for people and etcetera where hopefully people have fun. On the other hand, there is the whole deal of upholding some semblance of order, which assumedly isn't as bad around here.

Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: One of the personally least enjoyable parts would be dealing with people who have been around the station for a long time and yet pose as a problem to the very community as a whole. This might be amplified if the problem person is someone you are actually friends with. Given the two cases that I can be too empathetic, and not weigh in unless it was a, and rather discuss what has been the issue to try and resolve and avoid bringing down true consequence. And to some extent the book keeping one would have to do of the guidelines as is.

Describe what role-playing means to you: In a word? Improvisation. In an elaborate answer: Roleplaying is the act of adopting characteristics and or mannerisms of a character they made, filling in their shoes and making some joint storyline with everyone involved. A joint storyline which is largely unpredictable and typically leads to a person having to wing it or improvise a reaction on the fly. Such moments of unplanned reactions are the moments which help a writer get more involved with a character as their reactions could change wildly from it, and it is not unusual for a writer to end up with characters which deviate from their usual thought patterns due to this. It is a way of storytelling in a comparatively messy yet more lively way compared to simply writing such occurrences, as there are just some things that simply only happen with the inclusion of a second person. And from there things can play out far more differently than one originally had in mind, for better or worse.

Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: A problem player is noted as a person, who may unknowingly become a strain to the community within the server. This can typically manifest from something as completely innocuous as poor roleplay quality raising suspicions. To a person constantly raising a fuzz for the entire station in a way where it stops being fun and it starts being disruptive. A problem player can easily be guided in a way that ISN'T troublesome, preferably in a subtle way of simply weighing in as the guise of yet another player rather than the authority of an admin, as people typically behave differently the moment you get involved as an admin rather than as a player. Someone with bad roleplaying can potentially be taught, and verified of age if it, comes down to it, and become a non-issue in it's entirety, and a person who consistently causes trouble may realize there might be real consequence to their actions, which tend to ease up a person when it becomes obnoxious for the community.

Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A toxic player are problem players who, via a knowing, willing or uncaring ignorance bring forth an unwanted chaos into the community. Something which isn't unfamiliar to this server due to the very infamy of the station, but unwanted all the same. Virgo is a place some people treat as a haven, understandably so, and can be upset if something breaks the peacefulness of the server in a way that just simply isn't one they are prepared for. Not everyone has thick skin on the ability to remain calm under the worst circumstances. So these moments can kill the drive for a person to be on the server, perhaps even permanently. It's a selfish entertainment at the expense of others, and when a person becomes this, It has to be addressed immediately.

Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Admin abuse can usually be seen a mile away by other admins due to most the things admins can do being logged by BYOND as is. But in short: It is when a player in a position of power takes advantage of their very position to get things just the way they want, from touting the weight as a threat of absolution of consequence to just showing up as a Syndicate operative wielding a Gauss rifle on a group of people who just DON'T want to get involved in such aggressive shenanigans. It is making an expense of the people of the community only for their own enjoyment. These people can actually be worse than Toxic players due to the sole fact that they are in a position of power. Which can potentially poison the well and trust of other staff members if they aren't well known, and generally foster a mistrust to the entire community, a mistrust neither party wants.

In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: In simple terms? Trust. In general, it would come as no surprise there are players who are, at first, apprehensive of the staff on the station due to their assumed seriousness or professionalism. These are of course the typical stereotypes when someone expects a "competent" moderator. While there are of course plenty of places where that isn't true and easily verified after some time, the stigma typically remains as people may become wary of their every action in fears of falling into trouble. This simply isn't an enjoyable way of approaching things.
How would you have it resolved?: Similar to how some admins have already been attempting to resolve in their own rite, I would attempt to get involved with the community in a way to help foster some longstanding trust between user and staff. It is often forgotten that staff members are users themselves, and they want the same thing as the typicial person does: Have fun. With hopes of more people standing in as willing listeners and general people ready to give people something that might end up entertaining for everyone. it may end up running as a sort of olive branch to even the most apprehensive of users. giving them some relief and hopefully easing up the very stigma that run in just being staff for other people.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: The safest bet is to first aghost and follow the person said to have been griefing, piecing together the scene in question from what happened nearby and their own reactions to the players around them. Not only that but investigate the player notes to see if there have been similar problems reported and if they fall in line with the current ahelp. If it does fall in line and has easily verifiable proof of their involvement. Generally the simplest way to stop this is none other than a simple Bwoink. Since the sound itself is universally recognized by SS13 players as the "Admin is here" noise. And from there things can be remedied or not depending on the damage. Wether oocly by having the person fix the damage they made themselves, or ICly by having them own up to their mistake. If neither option is accepted and they have intents of continuing, these are moments where unfortunately the hammer must be swung.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: These are situations where I would simply go off and calmly mention that it the problem would be "looked at" while at the end of the day, analysing the conversation if there is anything salvageable from the issue in of itself. As even someone in the wrong can bear some interesting information that might best not be overlooked. But at the end of the day, it would be an amicable disengagement from the non-issue while keeping note of it, in case it crops up again.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: These are one of the several moments I would break out the player notes to see the general issues of the player, if any and see if the fall in line with the report in question. if nothing is found scanning the logs is your best bet. As most actions of players are recorded, something might end up shining through the cracks to bring the much needed proof.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: I'd get other staff members involved, wanting to hear a second opinion as I figure out what could very well be the missing issue, it can be something I missed, something I am regarding as a non-issue. Or just some signs of problems steming OOC, these issues naturally become hard to verify without proof but a drawn out resolution is often better than a hasty one. Given it would be more educated at least with further investigation.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: First order of business would be to see the nature of many of these Ahelps, seeing if there is anything that is notably suspicious, if ther really isn't anything found the best course of action would be to, for now, let it be. Keep note of coinciding ahelps if there is any and just let time run it's course, if someone is on the wrong it may repeat itself. leaving to some more quantifiable proof that something IS wrong if any of the previous ahelps repeat themselves in some shape or form.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: The messiest of all situations, when all hell breaks loose. Of course all three can be suspected of something. however, the ones most likely to have some reasoning to their actions is the first and second. The First would be largely suspected of being underage, in which case age verification would be in order. If all is in order and they're clearly old enough, it would be a good moment to de-escalate the situation to attempt to address the issue on their end in a calm manner. The second, there can be a situation where character escalation would be justified, while this is not giving a pass to lethal force if it heads itself into character deaths, there CAN be IC reasoning behind it, and that may change the intent of the situation. The third... likely has no justification if the attacks stem FROM the fact a fight happened, and if that's the case, that's a serious problem that would need to be addressed, as these likely would run ahelps if they are unwarranted aggression.

At the end of the day, the logs can shine a brighter light on the situation.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: While there IS admin/moderator experience to be found, it's the type that isn't worth mentioning, as they are several small time servers that really aren't of interest. So unfortunately not much to be found, in terms of managerial positions, partly due to an unwillingness to step in unless absolutely necessary.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: Typically speaking I am unerringly lax, often being fairly welcoming and calm to the general public. I likely wouldn't even consider my position as a trialmin even a grand responsibility, rather as a sign of proof I am entrusted with some power. And with such treat it with respect. Outside of that, I tend to have a high preference of keeping things fairly discreet, wanting to resolve problems before they become real issues in a way that doesn't attract attention of others. If it can't be helped, usually it will be approached to others with the intent to listen to others and in empathy of the affected parties, relying on introspection to see what might drive a person into some actions.
ItsAKat

Re: ItsAKet - Admin

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:18 pm

It has been awhile so I decided to update my thoughts on the matter. Unfortunately, I have to change my stance to a soft no. As much as you're easy-going, I feel like you could potentially allow your personal relationships with your friends to jeopardize your position of admin.
Last edited by Mr_Signmeup on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis: Chief of Security
Mr_Signmeup

Postby Lio that there snek priest » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:50 am

I dont think it counts for much.
but i hust wanna throw in that i also 100% support Ket for admin, no doubt he would be good at it

Support.
Lio that there snek priest

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:14 pm

Honestly think this is a very nice application. And from what I've seen of you, would be a decent fit with the role. I'll give it my support.
Demicus_Maximus

Postby PontifexMinimus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 pm

I'm willing to give this a chance, yes. I am not entirely sure how you would do as an admin and I think you would need a bit more bite and be more assertive but this is what trialminships are about.
PontifexMinimus

Postby DrYeehaw » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:47 pm

I do like ya Farren, I really do. However, Im gonna vote no right now. This isn't really anything against you, but i want to see you here for a longer period of time (not in activity you're doing perfectly great there) so i can get a better feel of how you'd be as an admin.

If we do another admin round in 5-6 months though, do reapply, I feel you'd be ready for it then.
Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."
DrYeehaw

Postby Slingblade » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:00 pm

I cant exactly pin it down, but I dont feel strongly enough about your application to support you becoming staff. I am a very soft no in this regard, but should the general consensus be yes I will support you.

Principally I think theres something about you and your personal relationships with people on station. I dont feel entirely confident that you could judge something impartially. This isnt exactly a bad thing, but makes me uncomfortable with full support for your application.
Slingblade

Postby JoanRisu » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Forgive me for the delay. I'm still deliberating the different aspects of this app. I will make a final decision tomorrow.
JoanRisu

Postby VerySoft » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm

Gonna say no support. I don't feel much confidence in what I'm reading from this app.
VerySoft

Postby JoanRisu » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:14 pm

There are some good definitions in here that I like that indicates you know what a roleplaying community is all about. At the same time, there are some answers here in the questions that worry me or are not what an admin should be doing. While your activity is great, I'm wondering if you should wait a few more months to really strengthen the community ties that you have. You have a presence and I've noticed that.

I'm keeping the door open for you so you can reapply for our next rounds. Keep an eye out for that. For now, Application denied.
JoanRisu

Return to Staff Applications