What Is Legs - Admin Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

What Is Legs - Admin Application

Postby WhatIsLegs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:30 pm

BYOND Key:iiVoracious
Discord ID: What Is Legs#1466
How old are you?: Twenty years old, going on twenty one this April.
When you are most active? (including timezone):Depends on what’s happening in my life, but I’m fairly active.
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?:At least five shifts a week.
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Sybil Magnus
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: Almost three years
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: Almost three years
Explain what most interests you about being staff: Being able to properly assist people, and maybe even run some fun little events for the players. Combat, scene machines, and some interesting story events that focus on roleplay as well.
Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff:Having to ban people is never really fun, and toxic players are rarely a joy to wrangle. That being said, it is something that I’m more than willing to do should it have to be done.
Describe what role-playing means to you: Becoming a character, created by yourself or another person and acting to various situations accordingly, with the goal being to have fun within the rules of wherever you’re roleplaying.
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words:A problem player is a person who frequently disrupts the flow of the game. This can be done both ICly and OOCly. This person is usually somebody who breaks the stations rules, and behaves with the intent to ruin other people’s experience.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A toxic player usually falls under the definition of problem player, however this person causes more OOC problems than IC ones. This person will frequently berate other players on the station in an OOC fashion, with the intention of making their targets feel bad about themselves.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Admin abuse can be a lot of things, and it doesn’t always have to be a bad thing. Admin abuse is best defined as using admin powers to mess with a players experience, and this can usually have negative results for the players.
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: Too few events happen on station these days.
How would you have it resolved?: Well, I personally would like to host more events, and I’m not talking major, game changing or lore altering events, I’m talking about events that don’t stop the whole flow of the station. I totally understand that some people, myself included, greatly enjoy having quiet shifts that allow them to scene with their partners in peace, and I see no reason why events should get in the way of that. I could probably build up some gate way maps for explorers to go through every now and then, perhaps have players revisit some with some neat little changes. Perhaps some D20 oriented events could be a fun little way to mix things up, by building small, linear, vore oriented campaigns, where players can take on the roles of both pred and prey.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: First things first, I would want to know who the player griefing is, and what they are doing that people are considering griefing. Upon finding out I would ask the player in question what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. From there I will make a judgement and act accordingly.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it:I would want to know what they did to get themselves into the scenario that they’re currently in. I would then do everything in power to put a stop to the scenario should it require my interference to do so.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: Questioning players is always a good way to start these things off. If I’m not getting the answers I’m looking for, I’ll check the logs to see who is telling the truth, and consult any other resources at my disposal, including any witnesses, previous records on any of these players, and other staff members should they have experience with similar situations.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: Should this scenario happen, I would want to check the logs first to see what happened. If I am not getting the answers that I’m looking for by checking logs, I would question every player who is involved, and witnesses as well if there were any. Gather as much information as possible from any and all sources available to me, before making a judgement.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: I would first thoroughly question the players who submitted their ahelps, asking what the troublesome person was doing to warrant any administrative actions. Just because an action isn’t a clear violation of the rules, doesn’t mean it’s not a violation. I would then question the person causing this trouble, asking what they are doing, and why. I would then act accordingly depending on which rules they were violating, and how severe they were doing so. After all of this is said and done, I would suggest to other staff members that an additional rule, or an adjustment to an existing one may be in order.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: First things first, putting a stop to any and all violence is probably a good idea. This could probably be done by teleporting the violent players in question to a room where they can’t hurt anybody, along with any other violent player. Then questioning every player involved with the situation. Asking how it started and what this player did to cause so many character deaths. During this process it also can’t hurt to check twitch or any other streaming platforms to see if this person is a streamer, since very few people even stream Space Station 13, this shouldn’t be too hard. IF by some bizarre miracle this person isn’t in the wrong for all of the player deaths happened, I would still administer the proper punishment for insulting players. Of course, if this person is in the wrong, a temp ban at the very least is likely in order.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: None that is really worth mentioning.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: One thing I really want to do, is more events if that is at all possible, ones that don’t impact the station as a whole. Not just combat or scene oriented events, but roleplay events as well. I’ve been on the receiving end of some pretty bad events in my time here, and also some pretty good ones as well. I feel that with this experience in mind, I could host some pretty fun events for everybody that chooses to be involved.
WhatIsLegs

Re: What Is Legs - Admin Application

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:54 pm

It's hard to do this to people you like and consider a good friend but unfortunately, I can't support this application. In the past, I know that you can get quite angry over stuff in the server. I'm talking about real OOC anger that has gotten you into trouble or at least a talking to. I won't bring up the incidents publically but I'm sure you might know a few that come to mind and if you don't, I'm more than happy to discuss it in DMs. I just don't feel confident in your abilities to control your emotions if you get really pissed off and end up banning someone because they annoyed you severely ICly.

No Support.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis: Chief of Security
Mr_Signmeup

Postby VerySoft » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:11 am

Yeah, I'm sorry but I can't support this one. I like you as a person and as a member of the community, but I just don't feel confident in your temperament for this kind of work.

Every time I've seen you in reasonably stressful situations it's been with no small amount of what looks like genuine rage and such, and unfortunately, a lot of admin work tends to be herding cats and stressful situations. I'd certainly want to see an improvement in your temperament before I could confidently support this one.

At the moment, No Support
VerySoft

Postby Aces » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:13 am

Your name has come up a lot in rather negative context--more negative than positive.

Some of the admins like you as a friend. I don't. I would reject this application. However, I am abstaining from any host related duties until May due to concern of disconnect between myself and the community. Ergo, I cannot reject this application.

If there is anyone who wishes to say something positive however, they have had more than enough time to do so, considering these applications were supposed to be resolved weeks ago. That's partially my fault but now it's up to the rest of the staff to figure that out.
Aces

Postby PontifexMinimus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:31 pm

Your personality is the biggest hurdle here. I think you wouldn't handle the stress of being staff well, I apologise.

Really, don't do it to yourself man. No support from here.
PontifexMinimus

Postby Slingblade » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm

Love you legs but I really think you'd hate being an admin. If anything would kill your enjoyment for the server, it'd be this. You're much better off not having to deal with this, but thank you for your interest all the same.

No support
Slingblade

Postby JoanRisu » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:59 pm

I hate to do this because I do like you. The problem is how you deal with stressful situations and how this job may affect your enjoyment of the server.

It may not seem like it, but your community ties are good. It should be if people are looking out for your well being and enjoyment of your surrounding environment. So in that regard, you are good at the community interaction aspect we are looking for.

I really appreciate your interest. Maybe if something changes in the future and you're persistent in trying it out we can revisit this. People have changed after we saddled responsibility on them, after all.

For now, Application Rejected for this round of hiring.
JoanRisu

Return to Staff Applications