Chargae Admin Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Chargae Admin Application

Postby Chargae » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 am

BYOND Key: Chargae
Discord ID: Chargae#0023
When you are most active (including timezone): From 1630 til late, AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Vivian Greyson, Tahj Jameson, Lii, Yan, Hester Saunders
How long have you been playing Space Station 13: Glancing at my Byond account's creation date, mid 2015.
How long have you been playing Vorestation: Mid 2015, cos this was my first station.
Describe what role-playing means to you: Interaction between two people via avatars - Or, characters.
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: Someone who repeatedly, or deliberately, causes issues for other players by their actions.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: Someone who causes an atmosphere of abusive behavior or intent towards a specific person or group of people.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: The use of admin-granted privileges or abilities to abuse the playerbase. Occasionally fun, but too much use of it can cause big problems.
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: Extreme expectations of some IC departments to be ultra-prepared for every scenario.
How would you have it resolved?: Better communication. Less aggressive ranting about how things should have been done. Attempting to keep things civil.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it:
    The best way to handle griefing claims is to observe them. If, on observation, it is obvious, send them an Admin PM and ask them what they're doing, and why, and go from there. If it is not obvious, keep observing them. Discuss with the person who Ahelped it for more information.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it:
    Ask them to take a step back and calm down, get a drink, or something. Remind them it's just a game. If the scenario in question requires admin action, make sure to explain it beforehand, if they'll listen.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it:
    Ask if another admin can review the situation. Check notes of the players in question, for some context based off previous interactions. See if you can locate any other witnesses.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it:
    Act based off what evidence is there. Note down the reasons for doing so, and what evidence supported that action. Most of all, be willing to accept that I was wrong if I was.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it:
    Case by case basis. Talk to the player in question, and ask them if they're deliberately trying to cause such a situation. There's plenty of variety in how people want to roleplay, and I don't really think limiting it (inside the bounds of the rules) is much fun for anyone.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it:
    If the fights are still ongoing, freeze the participants. Request assistance, if possible, from other admins, for efficiency. Overall, get the story as straight as possible from all parties. Make sure to check logs.

Poor roleplaying skills can improve with work - Advise them not to insult other people so much, as it can prove problematic.
    Advise the lethal force user on escalation and how it's more appropriate, depending on the fight that occured leading up to them engaging in it.
    Ask the third one why they went on to attack others after the fight ended. Take the RP into account, if possible.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:
Previously an admin on Citadel, sometime in 2016-2017.
May not be entirely relevent, but currently a part of an admin team for a RP sim and community on Secondlife - Red Rock Detention Centre.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
I like to make sure I do things right. I'm more than willing to accept that I'm wrong, though.
As well as this, recently, it's seemed like there's a considerable amount of ire directed at Security - Including amongst the admin team itself.
I seem to be around during times that sometimes lack administration team members.
I'm pretty much always poking around Discord - Even when I'm unable to deal with the station side of things.
Chargae

Re: Chargae Admin Application

Postby VerySoft » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:20 am

I think during the times you tend to play, we really do need more staff, but you do tend to come around for a while and then disappear from the server for long stretches of time.

Obviously breaks are normal, but! I wanna throw it out there. I think you'll do fine as an admin, I know you pretty well. The only thing that has me sitting on the fence is regular long periods of absence from the server. Admin's more stress, are you sure it won't lead to you shying away from the server more?
VerySoft

Postby Chargae » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:35 am

This is true, however part of the reason for this is other commitments I had previously made. I'm starting to wind down on Secondlife in general, for example, which means I will be more likely to poke around the station side of things more.

If it's likely that RL commitments will interfere, I'd be sure to let folks know. :>
Chargae

Postby Slingding » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:24 am

I share Soft's sentiment. I think you'd make for a good addition to the staff and fill a much needed timeslot. So long as you're able to be a bit more present then I cant say any reason why this would be a poor choice.

Support!
Slingding

Postby Chargae » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:22 pm

Just givin' this a nudge. Still interested to hear more opinions :>
Chargae

Postby ArgobargSoup » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Would like ta speak up in support of Chargae. They be cool and collected, and they got experience.
ArgobargSoup

Postby Iroquois Pliskin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:05 am

If all goes well I'm probably gonna get unbanned so I might as well take a sec to weigh in. I know Chargae from Citadel when it was still one server. My general experience with them is that they're good people, and know their shit. They're also in a time zone that could use more admins, even if it's lowpop.

Support from me.
Todo: Not fuck up.
Iroquois Pliskin

Postby PontifexMinimus » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Well, the times you play are times where we need admins and I think you would be a good fiiiiiiiit.

Definitely someone I would consider for admin when we open the applications again.

If you would not have massive long absences from the server.
PontifexMinimus

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:49 am

Like everyone else here, I do support your bid in becoming a member of staff! You got a good head on your shoulders, it's just the random spouts of admins that have put me off before in the past when you applied earlier.

Support.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis, Chief of Security, Security Officer, Warden.
Mr_Signmeup

Return to Staff Applications