Darksider's Discord Dilemma.

Talk about things that involve the chatroom no one uses because Discord exists. Post about problems, bugs, suggestions, etc. to be ignored. But hey you can make a character profile so that's nifty.

Darksider's Discord Dilemma.

Postby Emperor Darksider » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:05 pm

So I've been having problems with my Discord and I'm like some more help.

I'd downloaded Discord when we first started to try and move over to it and while I did have quite a few problems with it at the start I managed to (with some help from friends who'd already used it) get it to a decent state of plausibleness. The images still didn't load half the time and the pinging sound kept turning itself back on after every restart but it worked well enough and I even played a little of the RPG thing.

"But that was before the dark times.... Before the Empire." - Obi Wan (Ben) Kenobi

Naturally, because I managed to get something somewhat working fate decided to push me ten steps back, and one day after a 'miss click', (I know I exited out of it and not clicked on update) Windows 10 became my new Operating System! (Why me -_-)

Since then, not matter what I do, I can't get Discord working again. Either it just doesn't start at all or almost the whole thing will be either black of dark gray before the program stops responding all together.

I've tried everything thing I could think of, including fixes and re-instillations and still nothing. My friends who've used it before had a crack at it and nothing and even Ace has with him giving me instructions on what to do! So far nothing has worked so I'm posting this here to see if you all have any ideas.

Thanks for reading,
Love Darksider.
Emperor Darksider

Re: Darksider's Discord Dilemma.

Postby Aces » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Well let's start from the top with a fresh installation of Discord and run through all the steps, and figure out where it breaks.

Also, your operating system is important to know. Do you know how DirectX Diagnostic works?
Aces

Postby Kelse » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:39 pm

Don't run any antimalware/antivirus programs, make sure the VC++ redists are installed (2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015), run installer and program as admin, turn off UAC if you have to, run in compatibility mode, etc.
Tons of stuff, too much to scratch the surface, if the program doesn't open but you see it in task manager check the event log for details.
Kelse

Postby JakkSergal » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:48 pm

1. Windows 10 can be reverted back to windows 7 within 30 days. Go to the settings pannel >> Update >> and there should be a "Revert" function there. Be sure to google how to disable Microsoft Nagware 2016 (The little popup) once you're back to seven if you choose this route.

2. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Discord. Windows 10 doesn't actually update shit when it changes over, heck, not even your drivers. If you've already tried this method, of course move to step 3.

3. Check your display drivers are up to date. Check if flash, java, and any other 'on-the-side' software you might have.

4. Uninstall and delete the registry of Discord. IF you don't know how to do this, google is your friend. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT. You can royaly fuck shit up.

5. Shit's fucked. I guess you could check for software that's interfering with it like antivirus?
JakkSergal

Postby Kelse » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:55 pm

JakkSergal wrote:Check if flash, java, and any other 'on-the-side' software you might have.

Not trying to sound cocky or anything, but it's 2016, is there any upside to having these installed? They're effectively malware in themselves now because of how many exploits there are.

Most important tips for internet safety:
Uninstall Flash
Uninstall Java
Switch to HTML5
Use NoScript or something along those lines
Have JS disabled by default and have sites request to run JS on your browser
Kelse

Postby Aces » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Kelse wrote:Don't run any antimalware/antivirus programs, make sure the VC++ redists are installed (2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015), run installer and program as admin, turn off UAC if you have to, run in compatibility mode, etc.
Tons of stuff, too much to scratch the surface, if the program doesn't open but you see it in task manager check the event log for details.

I don't recommend keeping antiviruses offline forever. Just until we know what's causing the issue. Antivirus shouldn't interfere with Discord, and if it does, you need to inform Discord they're having a compatibility issue with the anti-virus program.

Kelse wrote:
JakkSergal wrote:Check if flash, java, and any other 'on-the-side' software you might have.

Not trying to sound cocky or anything, but it's 2016, is there any upside to having these installed? They're effectively malware in themselves now because of how many exploits there are.

The (dwindling) number of websites that still need Flash to run because "fuck our users". For example, Picario.tv still requires flash to see their streams.

HTML5 is good but a lot of websites still haven't made the shift to HTML5. I went to school for it. Java is only partially on its way out right now, with the other parts clinging to systems no one wants to hire new people to correct. That doesn't mean don't make the change, though. Force the companies to update by not giving them business when you turn off Java.
Aces

Return to About the Chatroom