Example species app: Scree - xenochimera

Want to play a Vox? A Diona? A special snowflake former l33t SWAT Spetznas supersoldier failed experiment from Deathkilldie-6? This is where you come to pitch your ideas for everything normally not allowed as characters on the server, so we can mold it into something usable.

Moderator: Lore Masters

Example species app: Scree - xenochimera

Postby Scree » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:22 pm

BYOND Key: Scree

Species you want to apply for: Xenochimera

Name of Characters In-game: Scree

How long you've been playing Vorestation: couple of years (though I put this application in a while ago when the server needed applications to play at all, laff)

What is this character's backstory?: Scree is, to put it simply, a genetic little mishmash of god only knows what at this point. What was to become Scree landed in a meteor in a small wooded area on Aryion Prime. He doesn't really remember much from growing up - being basically an animal, there really wasn't much thinking going on in that head of his, but the first thing he does remember is waking up one morning with something stuck in his throat, coughing up a pair of shoes, and suddenly feeling the spark of self-awareness. Everything after that is a little fuzzy for him, the little critter going out hunting things, tracking down things with which to improve himself, copying traits, occasionally picking up little fragments of memory, sometimes winding up with everything getting a little indistinct and unclear after picking the wrong sort of fight - at this point, the lil' thing can't tell which of the things he knows are things that actually happened to him, which are just things he's heard about and got muddled in there, and which are simply subconscious concepts that were common enough in the things he's eaten and he simply knows but has no idea why - for instance, he "knows" red-shirted people are more likely to die horribly, despite never having seen a single episode of Star Trek - coming to the station and running into Nanotrasen's security uniforms hasn't helped to dispel this notion.
Eventually, somebody somewhere took notice that there was a weirdass unknown critter running around on a backwater world, and the lil' critter was promptly netted, dragged off to a xenobiology lab and repeatedly poked with pointy objects to try and figure out how he ticked - this didn't go down well with the monster, and given that he was a lot smarter than the scientists gave him credit for, thinking they were dealing with a fairly simple animal, it wasn't long before he was loose again - on Virgo Prime, having trashed the lab on the way out and sorta made a snack of the RD.
After a short stint of hanging around with some slightly disreputable types, and standing out like a sore thumb on a desert world without any forests for him to hide in, it was pretty easy for NT to track him down and make him an offer of employment: one that would involve him hanging around on a station full of xenobiologists and doctors voluntarily.

Some example names of the species: Not applicable, they don't really have a "culture" besides whatever actual sentient creatures they find themselves amongst. Xenochimera are not inherently sapient and without encountering something else with a complex brain for them to copy, they're simply animals.

Summarize what you know about the species: Notes can be found here and here. Effectively, Scree is considered an "evolved" chimera, that being a colony of the primordial cells.
Essentially they're stem cells that mimic whatever other genetic material they encounter that they like the look of. Every cell in his body is one of them including those in his central nervous system (or at least his facsimile of one) which kinda means that his feral, primordial instincts to feed, adapt, survive, and so on, are a rather inseparable part of him.
The process of mutation after a meal takes several hours, longer than would be relevant during a shift on the station, and thus has no mechanical game effect whatsoever. Likewise, the monster may be resilient and near-impossible to actually kill without destroying basically every cell in his body, but that's kinda in the sense that if you shoot someone in the face their gut fauna are still gonna be alive - however impressive Scree's abilities may be, the timescales they operate on are so slow as to make little difference over a shift.
Essentially, Scree has "superhuman regeneration" in the sense that humans don't tend to regrow lost extremities at all, never mind over the course of several days. His resilience is generally fluffed as any major damage he takes as doing something that a human wouldn't normally be able to survive - taking 30 burn from a lascannon, for instance, would be "Scree has a hole right the way through him and will not shut the hell up about it because he's pissed".
If there are other xenochimera in the galaxy, they are either slightly different strains to Scree's variant, or have assimilated such a different variety of creatures as to bear no resemblance whatsoever. The origin of the meteor he landed in has not been determined, though given that the individual lumps were travelling at sublight speeds it could be years, decades or even centuries before any other rocks from the same shower pass through a civilised system, never mind hit a life-bearing planet.

Play out the following simulated RP scenario (also feel free to alter this, as it is just an example scenario):
Recruiter: "So, tell me about yourself... what was your name again?"
You: Uh... Scree.
Recruiter: "Riiiiiiight..." The recruiter scribbles on his notepad, taking down notes. "Tell me about how you came to live on Virgo Prime."
You: Uh.. I bust outta 'at science place, an' then the new boss o' the science place found me an' said they was bein' dicks. Summat 'bout 'ow folks is s'posed ta ask permission 'fore spearmintin' on people.
Recruiter: The recruiter nods, hardly making eye contact as he reads off the standard list of questions. "Do you have any past experience working on NanoTrasen stations?"
You: Nanna.. nin.. nanawha? Uh... nope.
Recruiter: He nods again, writing down some notes, or perhaps doodling. It's impossible to tell which. "And what do you think you can bring to the company?"
You: Uh.... well, the doctor guy said I'd be good in space! Better in space than down 'ere on this sandy planet. Plus 'e thought I could 'elp out, said I was an interestin'... species.. man.
Recruiter: "Very well. Thank you for your time. We will contact you as soon as there is an opening suited for you." The impatient recruiter finally looks up again and waves the applicant along, ready for the next potential new employee.
You: Uh.. wait, 'at's it? They said there'd be snacks.

Why do you want to play this species?: Because every space station needs a weirdass little alien critter stitching up the place.
Scree

Re: Example species app: Scree - xenochimera

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Ha! I love it Scree! Still have to chase him out with a rolled up newspaper now and then though~ :3
Demicus_Maximus

Postby BritishRabbit » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Scree 2 op

Plz nerf by adding in massive vulnerabilities to bungirls and bungirl lamias.
BritishRabbit

Postby Scree » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Demicus_Maximus wrote:Ha! I love it Scree! Still have to chase him out with a rolled up newspaper now and then though~ :3

Why yes, he has his feral episodes.
Handling instructions are in his security records, and in any case he probably won't be going off on an instinct-driven little scuttle if there's nobody about that it'd be fun to be feral WITH.

By the way, I mostly made this thread as an example app for something weird as hell, so folks are free to ask questions. Especially if they're wanting to make apps of their own and aren't sure where the line is.
Scree

Postby Aces » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:06 am

Approved obviously. Although since you had him before the approval system they got grandfathered in already. Do you want me to lock and move this thread as I would normally or did you have other plans?
Aces

Postby Scree » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:46 am

I was more thinking of leaving it (and probably stickying) it so people have a completed app, with questions, to refer to when putting in apps of their own, see the sort of questions they might face, and so on.
Scree

Return to Special Characters