[PontifexMaximus] Mewchild - Rule 6 Community Ban

Moderator: Game Admins

[PontifexMaximus] Mewchild - Rule 6 Community Ban

Postby Mewchild » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Byond account and character name: Mewchild / Phi Vietsi / Ciphrom Markov
Discord ID: Phi-#8640 (Apos#8640 at time of ban)
Banning admin: PontifexMaximus
Ban type: Permanent Ban from Discord and Server
Ban reason given: Repeated hostile and aggressive OOC behavior to the point where you are not welcome in the community. Constant attacks on other people as soon as they do something not going your way. This trend has continued for a while now and I have frankly enough. So, if you feel like you can change this, do appeal and show betterment.
Ban length: Permanent
Approximate date that the ban was placed: Saturday, 21 September 2019
Previous Appeals: First and Most Recent
Your side of the story: The ban reason for this is more or less spot on. I'd been an ass to a good number of people, IC and OOC, for a long while. It took me getting banned as the wake-up call that I'd been doing it at all.
Why you think you should be unbanned: The ban was applied nearly nine months ago at this point, and since then, I've been active on the Citadel RP server. I've mellowed out quite a bit over the course of the past almost-year, and I feel I can be part of the Virgo community without being a source of the hostility that I once was. I've spoken to several of the staff on Citadel in the recent weeks/months, and quite a few of them were willing to vouch for me, if that matters at all. That's primarily why I felt I should appeal again, the urging coming from the staff over there.
Mewchild

Re: [PontifexMaximus] Mewchild - Rule 6 Community Ban

Postby Mewchild » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm

PontifexMinimus. Not Maximus. I already hecked this up.
Mewchild

Postby rotago » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:19 pm

I'm all for giving Phi another chance on the server. He's served well enough time away for the ban to be lifted. And if he can get citadel staff to come and vouch for him, I don't see a reason to deny this.
This gets my vote of Approval.
Only The Bestest!
rotago

Postby Nanaki » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:39 pm

My position is the same as it was in the last appeal, I Support this with the caveat of a Security and Command Ban to start with, with some time in the community before the jobbans are rescinded.
Nanaki

Postby PontifexMinimus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:52 am

This appeal is not open to the public yet.

I'm talking to citadel admins before doing anything before.
PontifexMinimus

Postby SecuritySheep » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:03 pm

Usually, I wouldn't touch ban appeals with a 10ft pole but this time I will.

in my honest opinion with the amount of time spent away from the community, I think Phi (Mewchild) should be given a second chance. although part of me wants to make sure that I won't regret giving my approval.

First of all, I will state that I wasn't around much during the incidents and the eventual ban due to timezones and the upcoming work embargo I had to do. but going by the previous ban appeals that I read over it has been.. five months since the last appeal. five months which a lot of things could change which a lot of change has happened. even more, time to reflect on one's actions.

Secondly, being someone who (I hope) is a friend and that I have spent time with them on the server to know that Phi isn't naturally aggressive. maybe that's because it is my opinion of them but are we allowed to have our own opinion on people?

so to sum this all up. I Support this appeal with aTemporary security and command ban to start you out. otherwise, I am all open arms.
SecuritySheep

Postby nerdass » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:38 pm

no support just because this appeal seems pretty half assed if i'm going to be honest.

I don't really think "I'm going to do better, I swear" is really that good of a reason to unban you. I want you to tell me, in your own words, what you recognize was bad about who you were, what you used to do, and how you're going to do better, because otherwise, you're not really giving us much of a baseline to compare you against if you do get unbanned.

Anyone can say that they were a shitty person when they're appealing a permaban, they wouldn't have gotten permabanned if they weren't being shitty.

Doesn't matter how long it's been. Doesn't matter that you apparently played on citadel for a while and did decently over there. None of that matters. We're not citadel, and while, sure, the opinions of their staff might be useful context for whether or not you've changed as a person, it doesn't change the fact that you, while you were active here?

You hurt people.

Your anger issues drove players away. Do we really need that in our community again?

Is giving you another shot, worth the headache, is the real question that needs to be asked here. Are we going to have to deal with the worst of you, yet again, when you lose your temper?

In your last thread you said you'd read through and respond to the things people brought up about you. You have an opportunity to do that now.
nerdass

Postby JoanRisu » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:14 pm

To be fair, I think there are only so many ways in the application format for someone to list their own faults and the whys of being let back in, so I understand why this appeal is shorter than the other two and why the last two were referenced. We'll get more out of discussing what changed about the applicant between the day of the ban and now.

I think we can all agree that there is still hesitation in regards to security so I would like the applicant to address that. I would also echo what Nerdass has said and suggest the applicant take the opportunity to respond to what has been said in the last appeal.
JoanRisu

Postby Mewchild » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:57 pm

Apologies for the delay in getting back to this. I've been out of town for most of the week, and posting anything beyond a sentence or two via mobile is a bad time.

I did say in my previous appeal that I would be responding to some of the points made, and both Joan and Nerdass are urging me to do so again.

A large number of the concerns that were raised were due to my temper- the fact that when I lost it, I tended to lash out, and gods damn anyone who got in the way of it. I've mellowed out quite a bit in the months since I was banned- I've stopped playing SS13 quite as much as I was before. I kind of realized after the fact that this game was more or less my only social outlet for the longest time, and that had me taking it more serious than it deserves. It's a game. Everyone here, in round or in the community, is here to have a good time- and I was souring that for a large number of individuals due to my inability to keep that in mind. As far as more specific examples, however:

R1f73r wrote:I remember when I was still new to the server, a chemist, on about my third day or so of playing chemist, there was someone dying outside of the station at the surface level. I had played and learned just enough to know what chems to take, how to defib on this server, and give medical treatment. I heard about it, got my gear together, and was trying to make my way to the surface level via elevator, not even knowing about the function to put it in the emergency mode. I made my way down, and asked a simple question I didn't know the answer to in this time of duress. "Where is Surface EVA?"

I had never had any reason to go to surface EVA, as I had spent almost the entirety of my time playing chemist. You, and someone else had done nothing but berate me the entire time that I was trying to find it, asking over comms where it was. The person had died, resulting in me feeling even worse that I had failed, just to be met with you berating me even more alongside the other person. I did resleeve them, and sent them on their way, but I almost quit Vorestation because of that, it was a brutal beatdown of words I just didn't deserve, especially when a day prior you had threatened to jail me for trying to learn how to resleeve by standing in on a resleeving process, calling it disrespect to the dead.

I remember this, and have remembered it for quite a while, because that wasn't the kind of community I wanted to be apart of. It took some people reaching out to me and showing me that the server is a great place with kind people, to not give up. I know you've improved a bit, but I have seen this condescending tone be persistent in what you do, not just here, but on other servers as well. I see what you've posted, and I just don't see that you've improved in the year or longer that I've known you. I cannot, in good faith or conscience, support you coming back, not as Phi Vietsi. I've seen you on other characters not nearly be as much of jerk, but the tone still remained the same. Condescending.

No Support

I have no excuse for this, and offer no justification for it other than that I'm deeply and truly sorry. I do recall the incident you mentioned, but I don't recall any of the context surrounding it- though that doesn't matter given the impact it had. I damn near drove you away from the server, and that's unacceptable. I'm glad you decided to stick around, and that you've found the server better than the first impression I gave of it.

Thranos wrote:Gonna be real here, this appeal is literally your old appeal, two short lines of added text, and all the replies from your old appeal bundled together.
That in itself is a little ehhhhh, considering your whole appeal hinges on "I've changed" and "I'll do better", but your appeal itself hasn't and isn't.
I get that the ban reason and other details aren't going to change, but if you've (as claimed) "thought about how you'd been acting" and plan to "do better", don't you think that warrants more than two short lines?
Maybe a little XYZ of how and why you dropped the ball, so as to show that you've reflected and understand what you did to earn this ban? At all?

That being said-
For the sum of like, two years, I watched you powertrip wildly, attempting to strong-arm people into agreeing with you or rabble rouse and rumor-mill to make them quiet or even leave if they didn't.
You were, in easily two out of five of every posts, patronizing, condescending, cliquey and elitist. People resented you. A lot. And, I think, many still do.

Such as me.
No support, with a suggestion of charban of Phi Vietsi, and/or a full command, sec, and exploration ban if the ban is to be lifted

I completely agree with the recommendation of a security ban. Once I moved to Citadel, I spent most of my time playing engineering. I recently stepped back into security for... a week or two, perhaps? And it's just... I don't enjoy the conflict it brings. It brings out the worst of me, and I don't enjoy that. Much better to stay away from the roles that oft invite chances for conflict, and be able to say "That's not my problem" and leave it at that. Outside of that point, I addressed how I dropped the ball above, and very much understand that the ban was placed due to my tendency to seek out drama, conflict, and arguments. I incited them, half the time, and didn't have the sense of mind to just... walk away when I knew I was getting upset.
Mewchild

Postby PontifexMinimus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:30 am

I have thought about this for a long while and I still hesitate to lift this ban at all, actually. I do not want the drama back that you have brought in the first place.

But oh well, I'm an optimist at heart and I can believe people change. So I am willing to give this a shot.

You are unbanned but removed from any head position and security position permanently.

At the very first muck up you do, you fly out again. Simple as.
PontifexMinimus

Return to Approved