[JerTheAce] Hoodoo - Toxic Behavior

Moderator: Game Admins

Re: [JerTheAce] Hoodoo - Toxic Behavior

Postby Molenar » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Lots of talk of moving on from Hoodoo, apologies, and what feels to me like sincere feelings on the matter of wanting to put it in the past, as well as the thought from themselves, This is about Hoodoo and the community, and the lie to the admins that has been apologized for, and admitted to at this point. dredging up the past seems inevitable in a situation like this, Even I remember how heated arguments could get, But even with the slinging of the past, Hoodoo has at least remained civil in the appeal thus far. that they have changed for the better since then seems to show itself already in my eyes, but, If you truly believe that you have improved for the better Hoodoo, I'd be willing to give you the chance to come back and prove it.
Molenar

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:55 pm

I must refrain from voting in this appeal. I would argue that my biases in this regard are minor, but they are present, and they do favor Hoodoo. Really like what you bring, and I do personally think that you can handle returning. But I will leave that vote to other staff.

On the moderation side of things: I must ask that any further replies to this topic remain civil. Some of the early replies in here are well over the top.
Demicus_Maximus

Postby DrYeehaw » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:57 pm

I'll be honest and preface this by saying I've been in contact with Hoodoo on and off for the past few months, so I acknowledge my bias. We didn't talk on a daily basis or anything, but enough to say I was able to interact with them enough that it was notable.

Over the past couple of months, Hoodoo has made a lot of strides, especially recently. Their ban at the time was more than warranted and they needed to realize no matter what the situation was, that their personality and attitude got them where they were. However, that's changed a lot, they've realized a lot of what was their fault and have sought to atone for it. I really do believe that they have realized their mistakes and tried to atone for it. They're a whole lot less of a powderkeg than they used to be and seem legitimately happier than when they last left virgo. I personally support their return. They're fun to be around at their best, and I truly believe we will be seeing more of it this time around.

On that note though, I'm trusting them and while I did believe them, I think it's only fair that they understand their leash starts abnormally short for an unbanned user. The situation of their ban has to be taken into effect and I feel it's only fair to let them back in under the assumption they're telling the truth and rectify that changes.
Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."
DrYeehaw

Postby Westfire » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:03 pm

I personally haven't spoken to Hoodoo in ages, but I trust Aethishero's judgement, and that of several others.

I support.
Westfire

Postby JoanRisu » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm

This has been stewing for a while and we just finished a staff meeting regarding this.

We're ready to rule on this but the appeal relies on the following conditions:
1. No participation in political discussions for the foreseeable future. The staff feels part of the problematic behavior that resulted in this ban was because of passionate political/ideological differences or advocation of a particular political viewpoint. While I don't expect perfection regarding this condition (making accidental singular comments, commenting without realizing what the topic was, etc.), I would like to see you (Hoodoo) actively trying to avoid these types of discussions for your own sake.

That brings me to condition 2. #off-topic-main. Because the majority of #off-topic-main leans towards political discussion, I am going to mandate that you cannot participate in #off-topic-main for the same reasons I gave in condition 1. To be clear, this conditional ban is only applying to #off-topic-main and not the whole off-topic category. You can still participate in the other off-topic channels (gaming, shitposting, etc) so long as you follow Condition 1.

To summarize, we want you to actively avoid political discussions until we feel you have fully demonstrated a change in behavior when interacting with the community. To make sure you avoid the temptation, #off-topic-main will be off-limits to you as it is the most politically charged channel out of all the channels on the server.
JoanRisu

Postby hoodoo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:22 am

Those conditions sound fine to me. While I don't specifically think politics were specifically the cause, they're definitely a contentious enough topic that they were more often than not a trigger for a spree of bad decisions. My goal has been to avoid that cycle entirely from now on, and I very much appreciate the concern for any 'risk factors' in the same breadth. I will abide by both of those rules.

Hopefully with that, we can just about bring this thread to a close?
hoodoo

Postby Aces » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:09 pm

This has sat here long enough and my LOA is over.

Honestly, I do sincerely think you're ready to show us a better side of yourself, but just in case you aren't, or you find yourself tempted, remember that poor behavior will reflect negatively on Aethir who is here trying to vouch for you. Don't make any of us regret this.

I said I could not reject this appeal, as that would be unfair, but that negative bias has been defeated, and I can still approve the appeal.
Aces

Postby Aces » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Also, one last thing before I put this into the accepted thread.

I'm going to be honest. I don't think it's fair that Aethir should get punished for something you might end up doing. I felt that way earlier, but Joan convinced me this wasn't wise. I then tried to push for keeping up appearances, telling you we'd still totally ban Aethir if you screwed up even if we secretly didn't want to, just in case we had to keep you in line, but several staff said that if I felt you couldn't be trusted, then I should keep you banned in the first place. At this point, I didn't feel that way about you, or else I would be against your appealing even now.

So I'm formally redacting what I said earlier. Aethir, I admire that you were willing to risk your own ability to play here, which to me, says you trust Hoodoo even when I didn't. That was a pivotal factor in me deciding to appeal this.

I don't plan on doing this collateral suggestion again. I don't think I'll even consider it.

I just wanted you all to understand what was happening behind the scenes.
Aces

Previous

Return to Approved