Would you be okay with us using server for prize money?

Information about how to donate to the server, and also a place where donators can post that will probably never be used very much by donators.

Are you okay with us using server funds to support a mapping competition?

Yes, up to $200 in prize money.
No votes
Yes, up to $150 in prize money.
No votes
Yes, up to $100 in prize money.
83%
Yes, up to $50 in prize money.
No votes
No, I would not support this.
17%

Total votes : 6

Would you be okay with us using server for prize money?

Postby Aces » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm

The admins want to host a Gateway mission mapping contest. As such, I wanted to ask exclusively donors if you are okay with us using server funds (of which we currently have plenty of) to support this project.

All the best maps will be added to the code, but only one will be given a reward for their efforts.

If this competition runs, it will run until the beginning of January. Donors are welcome to enter the competition, and it will be you donors who vote on the winner. Admins will not contribute to the vote unless they have donated in the past.

For us to do a competition, less than 50% of the votes must vote for "No." If more than 50% of the votes say "No" then we're not doing this competition. Otherwise, we'll pick the next majority of "Yes" votes to decide how much will be offered.
Aces

Re: Would you be okay with us using server for prize money?

Postby Molenar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

I'll drop my vote on the $100 option. not extreme but, still a pretty good prize for the winner i think.
Molenar

Postby Aces » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm

I can't vote because I haven't contributed monetarily, but I agree $100 is the most reasonable option.
Aces

Postby aerowing » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:40 pm

I honestly favor an option to let people donate specifically for a prize pool for this contest. As far as I know our account balance currently sits at $656.52USD for the server and that does seem like a lot but shelling out $100USD would be 15% of the balance. If I correctly understand (will edit if someone can confirm the figure) the server costs about $25USD/month so that's currently 26 months total with the current balance.

Let people donate with the reason 'prize money' for a few weeks, and let that float as the prize pool for the mapping contest.
aerowing

Postby Vorrarkul » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:00 pm

I looked at this from an art commission angle. $50 would net you some decent art, but for a whole map with as many bells and whistles as possible, $100 sounds fair to me.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Tasald » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 pm

I useually get really "uncomfortable " when ever I heard server funds not being used to "directly " benefit the server. Ie paying the bill, but this seems fine since it will directly benefit the server. I'm bad at prices so I'll just pick what the majority is.
Tasald

Postby Kaltren » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 pm

I have no real opinion on the matter, but I think there are legal concerns with running contests with monetary prizes. I don't know them well enough to point you in the right direction to look 'em up, though.
Kaltren

Postby Aces » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Kaltren wrote:I have no real opinion on the matter, but I think there are legal concerns with running contests with monetary prizes. I don't know them well enough to point you in the right direction to look 'em up, though.

There's nothing that would apply to us. No one is paying to enter.
Aces

Postby Aces » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 pm

5/6 donors voted for $100 prize. "You snooze you lose" policy is now in effect because I've been asking about this repeatedly for over a week.
Aces

Return to Donators' Forum