Yeehawguvnah - Synth with genius-level skills

Want to play a Vox? A Diona? A special snowflake former l33t SWAT Spetznas supersoldier failed experiment from Deathkilldie-6? This is where you come to pitch your ideas for everything normally not allowed as characters on the server, so we can mold it into something usable.

Moderator: Lore Masters

Yeehawguvnah - Synth with genius-level skills

Postby mofborn » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:38 am

BYOND Key: Yeehawguvnah

What kind of character/language do you want to apply for: A synthetic with Genius-level skills

Name of Characters In-game: If this is about the characters I actively play, then DRIFT/Melotte/Lieu Volodite/VIRGOTORRENT.NET
If this is about this character, M.I.P. 4 or Modular Interface Prototype 4th Iteration

Are they a fan character of another franchise?: No.

If so, what the hell are they doing here?: N/A

How long you've been playing Vorestation: Oooh, since at least early 2021?

What is this character's backstory?: The Modular Interface Prototype is, indisputably, the next step forwards in synthetic technology. A single chassis, equipped with a Beta-level intelligence, capable of dynamically loading software packages to fill in any required role. Why invest in a range of purpose-built Generalised Intelligences when one can do the trick? Formed from the highest-quality materials money can buy, with a borosciliate outer plating capable of changing appearance and function in the blink of an eye and equipped with centuries' worth of expert training, there is simply no competition.
Or that was the pitch, anyway. "Money" in this case was the slim budget of a group of engineering students, the Beta-level intelligence was arguably a well-spoken Gamma, and half the "expert training" loaded into its systems overstressed its servos when actually used. The Modular Interface Prototype never actually made it to the market, after failing to find investors and facing a copyright suit from Kitsuhana Heavy Industries. In the end, only one fully-functional M.I.P. unit was ever produced - and it did work, strictly speaking. Sure, it wasn't held together particularly well, but it could move about and the star feature (loading new task drivers at runtime) did work.

Of course, the whole venture failed, and so this sole unit ended up in a legal limbo. Put into standby for several years, it was passed from place to place, legally not considered sapient, yet not quite worth the legal procedure of claiming. Eventually, it ended up in a Nanotrasen-owned warehouse somewhere in the Virgo system - and in keeping with the local personnel's uncautious attitude, it was activated by an unknown employee. Still in "demonstration" mode, it immediately launched into a sales pitch, unaware the company it'd be leased from no longer existed. Nanotrasen's Humanoid Resources eventually came to the conclusion that at the very least, the extra pair of hands couldn't hurt, and thus the MIP unit was brought on as an employee.

TL;DR: Overambitious engineers invent a shitty robot that can load skills from external storage, the project falls flat, NT picks up the only working prototype.

If they speak any special languages, why do they speak them?: N/A

What do you expect them to bring to the station's RP by this character being allowed?: The intent for MIP is to be helpful, to put it simply. They are meant to be a character who can guide and teach others, while avoiding being a "Mary Sue" who can do everything. Whatever "task drivers" they have loaded (AKA whichever job they are currently in) is what they can actually do, while they have knowledge of tasks outside of that - the logic being that while they may have data on how to do something, the drivers grant "muscle memory" and the sort of intuitive understanding that would usually come from experience. In other words, while they are only capable of doing whatever their current job is, they are able to talk someone else through another job, such as if there's only one person in a department and they don't know how to perform a task. They may not be able to perform an organ transplant or set up the supermatter (unless that's their loaded task for the day) but they can teach you how to!

This is a character who would evolve and learn - they're a Gamma-level intelligence who hasn't had a lot of time to develop, and so their interactions would result in them becoming a more fleshed-out character. They're kind of meant to be a blank slate right now. For now, they're intelligent, but still a creature of strict social habits.

RP Scenario: The just-reactivated MIP unit being interviewed by a Humanoid Resources representative.
Recruiter: "So, tell me about yourself... what was your name again?"
You: "I answer to M.I.P, MIP-4 or Interface Prototype by default, but I can configure my audio processors to flag whatever name fits my current task."
Recruiter: "Riiiiiiight..." The recruiter scribbles on his notepad, taking down notes. "Tell me about how you ended up in our warehouse, exactly."
You: "I don't know, but I can find out for you." There's a polite pause. "How did I come to be in a Nanotrasen warehouse?"
Recruiter: "We don't know, that's why I asked. At the moment, it seems to have been an error in shipping. You're not on any of the cargo manifests."
You: "Thank you." Again, a little pause. "With regards to your earlier enquiry regarding how I arrived here, it's likely that my status as legally belonging to a nonexistent legal entity is why records are less than complete."
Recruiter: The recruiter nods, hardly making eye contact as he reads off the standard list of questions. "Where have you worked before?"
You: "This would be the first usage of a Modular Interface Prototype in a practical environment. You'd be pioneering the next step in synthetic advancements! But don't worry, I've had extensive testing in the lab."
Recruiter: He nods again, writing down some notes, or perhaps doodling. It's impossible to tell which. "And what do you think you can bring to the company?"
You: "What can't I bring to the company? As you know, I'm able to fit my own skills to the required task, including medical, engineering and clerical work. I'm whatever's needed."
Recruiter: "Very well. Thank you for your time. We will contact you as soon as there is an opening suited for you." The impatient recruiter finally looks up again and waves the applicant along, ready for the next potential new employee.
You: "Thank you very much."

Why do you want to play this individual?: I like helping new players, and in situations where said new players don't have anyone in their department who can teach them, this would let me help. Also, I just like the aesthetics of a synth who slots a hard drive into their chassis to work.
mofborn

Return to Special Characters