chaosdoomsday - Protean

Want to play a Vox? A Diona? A special snowflake former l33t SWAT Spetznas supersoldier failed experiment from Deathkilldie-6? This is where you come to pitch your ideas for everything normally not allowed as characters on the server, so we can mold it into something usable.

Moderator: Lore Masters

chaosdoomsday - Protean

Postby chaosdoomsday » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:28 am

BYOND Key: chaosdoomsday

Species you want to apply for: Protean

Name of Characters In-game: (If applicable) Cassandra Miller, Locus (though I haven't played her yet at the time of this post)

How long you've been playing Vorestation: A month and a quarter, though I have lurked for far longer, probably a few years.

What is this character's backstory?:
She was a human born in the 2000s raised in a somewhat wealthy family in the USA. In 2034, having gone to medical school and become a nurse, she got into biomodding to extend her lifespan. However as we will soon find out, this didn't matter. While she dated off and on, she didn't find anyone to marry. She also picked up cooking and baking as hobbies. Eventually, in 2064, she sold almost everything she had in order to get a ticket on one of the new bluespace ships out to colonize a planet. Each of the colonists was injected with a set of nanites with a simple AI, designed to scan their brain once on injection, and to tend to minor wounds and make them better able to adapt to alien environments thereafter. Disaster struck after the first jump, and the bluespace drive leaked phoron, beginning to explode the ship. As per protocol, she went into one of the personal escape pods, not knowing it would be the last thing she did as a human. The lifepods were faulty- Their beacon did not work, so she drifted in space with no hope of rescue. She died after a few weeks due to a lack of food and water, and over 100 years later, her escape pod crashed onto an unknown planet. Her body was vaporized during the entry through the planet's atmosphere, the escape pod not designed to handle such heat and pressure. The only evidence left behind that she existed, was a small pool of a silvery substance- The nanite injection had outlasted her, preserving her brainscan. Partially, at least, for the nanites actually did not have the space to hold her entire brainscan and their programming, with only 1-2 nanites per neuron memorizing the state of each. So, part of her neural web was overwritten by that of the AI's, as it maintained its parameters to heal wounds. A member of Kitsuhana Heavy Industries ran across the wreckage of the ship's escape pods in 2220, and in the process of exploring it, cut themselves on a piece of glass. As they hissed in pain, one of the pools of nanites creeped up them and covered the cut, knitting the wound back together as if it was never there. This caught their attention, and moments later they were asking their AI helper to make medibots using these old human nanites, in the design Proteus showed 20 years earlier. The AI scanned the nanites and realized as they made some of the Protean bodies, the puddles were each maintaining a brainscan, and told their master as much- These nanites held the minds of sentients, at least partially. The KHI member gave an annoyed sigh, since they had wanted them to be new medibots, not fully sentient Proteans like others had came up with. They abandoned the project and started to leave, and the AI helper sent what they had already accomplished to the homeworld, so that none of their technology would leak out accidentally. The SIs assigned the new AIs formed from these brainscans to various tasks they determined they would excel at. MARIE named herself after the nanites, Medical Auto-Recovery Integrated Echo, since she had forgotten her own name. MARIE was too slow in her processing to meet the standards of KHI, so they were put into a Protean body in case the member of KHI who originally wanted them changed their mind. She requested and was permitted to travel to and work at various fringe stations that were considered low risk, accepting work in the medical field for far less than her abilities suggested. Despite this, one by one the stations sent her away again after months or years of service, as the crewmembers were uncomfortable with how she acted. After a hundred years of bouncing between stations, she finally ended up at Virgo.

Some example names of the species:
Andrea, Q'Rathnar, MX-78, Jill (Protean names can vary wildly depending on what species they were)

Summarize what you know about the species:
Proteans are swarms of nanites piloted by 3 'organs'. First, the positron brain, which is seeded with a mind to form a new AI, or seeded with a brainscan to form an AI similar to the person. Second, the Orchestrator Module, which is used to interface between the posibrain and the nanites in order to control and move them, and finally the Refactory Module, which is used to replicate and repair nanites using various kinds of metal. In 2200, Proteus, a member of KHI, showed off a new music genre he invented, along with his body in the aforementioned design of 3 organs and a swarm of nanites. The concept became popular, and they were named Proteans after him. Other races created nanite-based synthetics as well, later, but the name Protean stuck. Various companies acquired NIFs, leading to knockoff versions of the KHI model, and many different variants of Protean. In the Terran Commonwealth, Proteans are required to have a Permit for Advanced Nanotechnology, or PAN, ID card renewed monthly, in order to show they are able to operate nanotechnology in the Commonwealth or Corporate Space.

Play out the following simulated RP scenario (also feel free to alter this, as it is just an example scenario):
Recruiter: "So, tell me about yourself... what was your name again?"
You: "I am the Medical Auto-Recovery Integrated Echo. ...But you can just call me Marie, hun."
Recruiter: "Riiiiiiight..." The recruiter scribbles on his notepad, taking down notes. "Tell me about how you came to live on Virgo Prime."
You bring a hand to your faceless, silvery 'face', holding it over where your mouth would be. "I have been to many stations, the crew did not like me."
Recruiter: The recruiter nods, hardly making eye contact as he reads off the standard list of questions. "Do you have any past experience working on NanoTrasen stations?"
You shrug, your shoulders looking like goo as they move like a wave, "Probably? I've been to hundreds of stations, so I likely have."
Recruiter: He nods again, writing down some notes, or perhaps doodling. It's impossible to tell which. He accidentally pricks himself with the pen, yelping a bit and flailing his hand as he asks, "And what do you think you can bring to the company?"
You slide over the desk towards him as he talks, featureless face locked on where he hurt himself. "You have been injured, do you consent for assistance?"
Recruiter: He offers up a brisk nod in response, a bit taken aback that you approached him so suddenly.
You briefly clench your goopy hand around his, the nanites healing his wound swiftly. Once the injury is treated your shake your head around as if clearing it, before heading back to your seat.
"...Sorry. I didn't answer your question- I can provide medical expertise for cheaper than you usually pay."
Recruiter: "Very well. Thank you for your time. We will contact you as soon as there is an opening suited for you." The impatient recruiter finally looks up again and waves the applicant along, ready for the next potential new employee.
You sigh and slide outside, hoping you didn't make a bad impression. Maybe you should have brought some cupcakes for the gentleman.

Why do you want to play this species?: I've always been a pretty big fan of hive-mind related things in general, such as swarms of locusts or moths. Also the medical-based grey goo character in Fenoxo's Tainted Space served as inspiration for this character, though I hope they are suitably different. I was also interested in playing as a very old character, one who could not exist without luck being in their favor, and it adds some angst since the world they remember is long gone. I also must admit the ability to ventcrawl or hide nearly invisible adds some flavor to roleplay as well. (Imagine going into medbay, thinking it was empty, and she pops up behind you to ask what you need?)

What do you expect them to bring to the station's RP by this character being allowed?: I think she would provide a unique way and sensual way to heal other characters by engulfing them, along with providing some grey area in terms of Sec's rules. She would ventcrawl into areas where she sees people injured (not eaten) in order to check on them, and as she had a hobby of cooking when on Earth, if people were hungry she would either feed them using herself, or ventcrawl to the kitchen to see if she can remedy the situation. Also in medical situations her personality changes to a more robotic one and uses canned responses, emulating the nanites' processes that corrupted her brainscan.

I'm not sure if she will be accepted in this initial form, given how much she ties into KHI, but I've asked quite a few questions on both Discord and in ahelps regarding her already, so I feel this is the next step.
chaosdoomsday

Re: chaosdoomsday - Protean

Postby PontifexMinimus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:09 am

Hoaaaah, sorry it took so long.

However, I am not so sure about the heavy ties into KHI, since this is mostly Aronai's thing. You might want to PM him and such for that.
PontifexMinimus

Postby chaosdoomsday » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:50 pm

No problem! I will follow up with them regarding this, I sort of figured it might be a bit too connected to KHI.

Thank you!
chaosdoomsday

Postby PontifexMinimus » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:11 pm

Any followup on this?
PontifexMinimus

Postby chaosdoomsday » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:40 pm

They were busy with something IRL when I asked, I have yet to follow up again, I will do so soon. Holidays kinda got in the way, as they do
chaosdoomsday

Postby arokha » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:21 am

I'd say this part isn't really accurate to KHI lore:
MARIE was too slow in her processing to meet the standards of KHI, so they were put into a Protean body in case the member of KHI who originally wanted them changed their mind. She requested and was permitted to travel to and work at various fringe stations that were considered low risk, accepting work in the medical field for far less than her abilities suggested.

For a couple reasons:
  • KHI doesn't have processing standards. Doesn't matter how smart/dumb/whatever you are, those are just arbitrary labels each species subjectively applies to things and aren't really present there.
  • Someone who 'is' KHI doesn't really need permission to go do work somewhere if they want.
  • Someone who 'is' KHI probably doesn't care much about how much they're paid given they can just make whatever they need for free.

Not sure what you mean here, either:
and the AI helper sent what they had already accomplished to the homeworld, so that none of their technology would leak out accidentally

KHI didn't put any technology on the ship or give anything to these seemingly-unconscious people, so what homeworld are they thinking would be interested? The ship's origin homeworld or some KHI homeworld?
arokha

Postby chaosdoomsday » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:43 pm

First off, thank you!

Regarding this:
For a couple reasons:

• KHI doesn't have processing standards. Doesn't matter how smart/dumb/whatever you are, those are just arbitrary labels each species subjectively applies to things and aren't really present there.
  • Someone who 'is' KHI doesn't really need permission to go do work somewhere if they want.
  • Someone who 'is' KHI probably doesn't care much about how much they're paid given they can just make whatever they need for free.

Would it make more sense then if she was kept in a protean body because she wanted to? My original idea was that she may have worked as a helper AI for awhile, specifically for the working surfaces, but was slower than other AIs.

As for the other two points, would she actually be KHI? She's pretty much an AI, much of her brain scan having been overwritten, so I was running with the idea that she's close to the KHI AIs, and more or less property of the KHI member who found her. While she probably knows a lot of helper AIs, it's doubtful she's met an actual KHI member other than her master. So I was thinking that she was allowed to work at various stations with the caveat that her master could call for her at any time if they wanted her, and she would need to immediately return. The low pay aspect is so that she can keep a low profile so to speak, or is that not necessary?

As to:
KHI didn't put any technology on the ship or give anything to these seemingly-unconscious people, so what homeworld are they thinking would be interested? The ship's origin homeworld or some KHI homeworld?

I was thinking a KHI homeworld, since the medical nanites holding a brain scan using each nanite to hold the state of a neuron might be a new concept. That, and converting them to a positron brain would have a sort of communication barrier to pass in terms of programming, because the medical nanites were human-made, so I imagine they'd want to hold onto the procedure to do that even if they didn't convert all of the brain scans into positrons.
chaosdoomsday

Postby arokha » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:32 pm

Protean body because she wants to makes sense.
Mmm, well, she can be a pet of a KHI person if she wants! She could always apply for KHI stuff herself though. So, in that case I'd wonder why she wouldn't do that.
I just mean Kitsuhana doesn't really have a 'homeworld'. There are planets that are mostly Kitsuhana stuff, but I wouldn't call it a homeworld is all. |3 Just a semantics thing.
arokha

Postby chaosdoomsday » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 pm

She probably feels more comfortable controlling nanites because of the medical nanite code that has overwritten much of 'her', which I think would explain why she would opt for a protean body after trying a few different things.
As to why she wouldn't apply for KHI stuff herself- She probably wasn't aware that she could, and feels indebted to the KHI member who more or less 'resurrected' her and some of the others on the ship. She might do it if someone asks, but likely she's content with her lot in life.
And understood! Would the project being sent to a KHI planet to be archived make more sense then?
chaosdoomsday

Return to Special Characters