Oreganovulgaris - Xenochimera

Want to play a Vox? A Diona? A special snowflake former l33t SWAT Spetznas supersoldier failed experiment from Deathkilldie-6? This is where you come to pitch your ideas for everything normally not allowed as characters on the server, so we can mold it into something usable.

Moderator: Lore Masters

Oreganovulgaris - Xenochimera

Postby Oregano » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:19 pm

BYOND Key: Oreganovulgaris

Species you want to apply for: Xenochimera

Name of Characters In-game: Algernon

How long you've been playing Vorestation: I have only recently gotten back into playing (in the last few weeks) however I have been playing off and on for around a year minimum.

What is this character's backstory?: The xenochimera does not know the name of the planet is landed on, nor when or where it landed. It first awoke one day in the woods, surrounded by torn clothes and discarded objects. It wandered the woods for a while, absorbing prey, before suddenly it was the one being hunted- and quickly it was captured. Though originally going into shock from being captured, after several days of captivity and feeding, it calmed down, and the colony met its captor- a human man. After managing to pacify the chimera, he began to train it- first in nonviolence, then in language (which it had already somewhat taken to, having absorbed a creature capable of it). The chimera quickly began to work, eventually assisting the man (Who the chimera had learned to call "doctor") in his various experiments, spending its free time absorbing information about the outside world through the doctor's large stockpile of old literature. The doctor eventually decided on a name for the chimera- Algernon. The xenochimera quickly learned, through helping the doctor and through reading, eventually becoming more than an interesting lab pet to experiment on- almost becoming a protégé to the doctor. However, eventually the man tangled with the wrong people, and had a megacorporation on his tail- the man tried to resist, and to keep his experiments and Algernon safe, but was too late. They managed to subdue the man, and when Algernon attempted to help, he was almost killed- stuffed into a loose bag to dispose of. However, once on-station, Algernon managed to recover from his wounded state, and escape from his captors before they could recover him. Wandering the large station's maintenence, he eventually managed to sneak onto a ship heading to Virgo Prime, where he managed to find work as a test subject, and- once proving his own unexpectedly high skill- a researcher.

Some example names of the species: Xenochimera don't really have a culture or naming scheme of their own.

Summarize what you know about the species: Xenochimera are essentially a hive of extremely small cells which combine to create forms based on previously absorbed genetic information. They are animalistic, and prone to breaking down into base instincts whenever frightened, hungry, or over-stimulated. They are only truly intelligent after obtaining a nervous system from an absorbed victim.

Play out the following simulated RP scenario (also feel free to alter this, as it is just an example scenario):
Recruiter: "So, tell me about yourself... what was your name again?"
You: "I am called, uh... Alg... Al-ger-non."
Recruiter: "Riiiiiiight..." The recruiter scribbles on his notepad, taking down notes. "Tell me about how you came to live on Virgo Prime."
You: "Men came for the doctor... took him away, trapped me in... thing. I got free and found new doctor. Doctor was very nice, said I was interesting... brought me to this place."
Recruiter: The recruiter nods, hardly making eye contact as he reads off the standard list of questions. "Do you have any past experience working on NanoTrasen stations?"
You: "What is a... Nanotrasen?"
Recruiter: He nods again, writing down some notes, or perhaps doodling. It's impossible to tell which. "And what do you think you can bring to the company?"
You: "Nice new doctor said I was interesting, and my old doctor taught me many nice things..."
Recruiter: "Very well. Thank you for your time. We will contact you as soon as there is an opening suited for you." The impatient recruiter finally looks up again and waves the applicant along, ready for the next potential new employee.
You: Silently walks away.

Why do you want to play this species?:
I feel like RPing as a completely alien creature would be extremely interesting, unique, and fun.
What do you expect them to bring to the station's RP by this character being allowed?:
A genuinely alien, both in body and mind, crewmember who would help spice up crew dynamics, as well as providing an interesting thing to prod at for science and medical.
Oregano

Re: Oreganovulgaris - Xenochimera

Postby Scree » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Seems fairly standard, but the megacorporation part is something that might be good to poke around about and figure precisely which megacorp might actually have any business murderously invading random one-man xenobiology outfits on random colonies. Nothing about the xenochimera itself is raising any worries.

Main question is how old are you considering this critter to be? Reason I ask is for the purposes of "did these events take place before or after xenochimera were actually known about as a thing by the scientific community".
Scree

Postby Oregano » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Original plan was to have it be about 20 years old (or at-least that's when it developed intelligence- was likely alive for far far longer than that), though I wasn't planning on there IC being an exact known age. So became intelligent around the same time that Xenochimeras were beginning to be known as able of intelligence. In regards to what MegaCorp- the idea was that he either owed someone a hell of a lot of money, or was a former researcher for, say, Vey-Med who may have smuggled something valuable (either confidential research or otherwise) for personal use when he left. Or maybe he decided to hide out on a random unimportant colony in order to avoid paying past debts or something of the sort.
Oregano

Postby Scree » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Given that Vey-Med are essentially the setting's Big Pharma then there's plenty of plausible reasons that someone in the company might have wanted rid of the guy, even if it's something like he knew too much about something they shouldn't be doing somewhere. Possible that the crew that was hired by them to deal with the dude didn't even know what the xenochimera was and thought it might be worth something to someone - or at least taking away as part of the clean-up and they didn't expect the thing to just get up and scurry off the instant they docked at a refuelling station.
Scree

Postby Scree » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:53 am

Given that the chimera itself likely doesn't know the details and all it knows is "a bunch of merc looking guys came and killed the doc but I managed to escape", that detail isn't all that important to the application anyway. Everything chimera-ish holds up and I don't see a reason to delay the app further. Approved.
Scree

Return to Special Characters