Staff Applications

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Staff Applications

Postby Aces » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:19 pm

We are currently not looking for new staff.

Welcome to the VORE Station Admin/Moderator Application page.
If you hadn't already, please take a minute to look over our Admin Guidelines page: http://forum.vore-station.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=81&p=275 where you will find more information of admin/moderator duties and command prompts.

Nearly anyone can apply to be a admin, we just have some minor qualifications:
  • Please ensure this is the right forum for your server. - A server using our code might not update their forums information, which has resulted in admin applications for the wrong server. This is the VORE Station Forums for the VORE Station Roleplaying Server run by Joan Risu.
  • Admin applications must be open when you apply unless you are directly endorsed by an existing staff member. Applications submitted while apps are closed will be automatically rejected.
  • Have been on the VORE Station server long enough to be a recognized member of the community, and feel comfortable with server flow and other players? If you need a better time guideline, it is suggested that around one month minimum on server is enough to be considered. Three months or more is preferable. Six months is ideal.
  • Have a strong presence within the VORE community. - Participating on forums, chat, or coding will help keep applicants up on current events, plus we like our staff members to know and get along with our playerbase. We want you to display an interest in the community outside of the game itself, and for all of us to get along.
  • You must have Discord and you must use it often. We have a chat for dealing with things and helping us get fast response times when admins are needed. There's almost always at least one admin around.
  • Applicants who are accepted will be age-checked prior to being given their position in-game.

If all of that is in order for you, we ask that you open up a new thread titled with the following:
Subject: (your BYOND key) - (What you want to apply for) Application
Maintainer (formerly Developer) or Admin
Code: Select all
BYOND Key:
Discord ID:
How old are you?:
When you are most active? (including timezone):
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?:
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation:
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?:
How long have you been playing Vorestation?:
Explain what most interests you about being staff:
Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff:
Describe what role-playing means to you:
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words:
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words:
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words:
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?:
How would you have it resolved?:

[u]Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...[/u]
[list][*][b][u]An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.[/b][/u]
[b]How I'd handle it:[/b]

[*][b][u]A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.[/b][/u]

[/list]

[b]What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:[/b]

[b]Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:[/b]

And for Game Master
BYOND Key:
Discord ID:
How old are you?:
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?:
[u]Consider the following questions, and answer in your own words:[/u]

[list][*][b][u]What kinds of events are you most interested in running in general?[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]Describe a larger event you would like to run.[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]How might you go about selecting volunteers for your event?[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]Consider your event, what kinds of problems do you think you might run into, both in running the event, and from the players during the event?[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]How would you handle those problems?[/b][/u]

Moving on from talking about your event specifically…

[*][b][u]You noticed that the exploration team has made their way to virgo four, how might you spice up their time there?[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]You noticed that a miner or an explorer has run into some trouble out and away from the station, do you help them? How, if so?[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]You noticed that four people who look like they might be trouble have appeared on the station. Their flavortext and ooc notes perhaps leave something to be desired and they are obviously working together. But they don’t seem to be hostile, they seem to have some kind of silly gimmick going. A concerned ahelp has come in about it. What do you do?[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]Someone is vocally upset about how things have played out during an event that you were involved with, what do you do?[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]Someone is being verbally abusive and disruptive in general. How would you handle this?[/b][/u]
[/list]

[b]What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:[/b]

[b]Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:[/b]

For Discord Moderator:
BYOND Key:
Discord ID:
How old are you?:
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the Discord server right now?:

[u]Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...[/u]
[list][*][b][u]A modmail comes in claiming an individual is being inflammatory.[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]A user is upset about an interaction they had with another, but they are clearly in the wrong.[/b][/u]

[][b][u]A user is speaking/venting about a sensitive topic that isn't quite appropriate for the server.[/b][/u]

[][b][u]A user is reported for engaging in inappropriate behavior not on the Discord server or in game, but through DMs with server members.[/b][/u]

[][b][u]A user is using our space to speak negatively about adjacent communities and is directly naming them in the process.[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]An individual is behaving in a way that's sparked multiple reports about their behavior, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.[/b][/u]

[*][b][u]A round just ended and people are up in arms upset about things that transpired. Much of it is unproductive and outright leading to arguments.[/b][/u]

[/list]

Application Thread Rules:
  • Accepting or denial of applications is the sole duty of the community host (me). I am the only one who can make a final decision on apps, but is heavily influenced by community input. The more input an application has, positive or negative, the more confident of a decision I can make upon it.
  • Anyone can post in any application, but keep things civil. We want examples of positive or negative experiences you've had with the applicant. Posts that simply state "I support this." or "+1" will be ignored or deleted.
  • Please do not hold any arguments or flame wars in any application; those posts will also be deleted. I'm asking for opinions. Not debates to go with those opinions.
  • All posts must be relevant to the current topic of the thread.
  • Do not waste my time telling me about when you were admin for some Minecraft or Terraria or Starbound server or whatever. In fact, I don't want to hear about any Minecraft clones at all. Everyone and their dog has been a Minecraft admin and if you claim that as your admin experience, it actually hurts your chances of getting approved. I honestly don't give a shit unless you were a high ranked admin in a community larger than 100 people.
  • Please allow time for your application to be discussed about and processed. A bump feature will be available at the bottom of the page after 1 week of no posts.
  • You are not entitled to any ETA for your application being reviewed. Bothering the staff to review your application will probably result in denial. An obvious exception to this is if you were nominated by a staff member and chose to post an application by their request. In that case, you may check in with that staff member to ask how the application is going unless you are told otherwise.
  • If applications are open, all applications that are made before they are closed again will be resolved within 1-3 weeks of applications being closed depending on the volume of applicants. Applicants submitted after closure will be denied.
  • There is no schedule for opening and closing of applications. Typically, applications will be open for at least one week with more or less time depending on the quality of applicants already submitted.
  • Existing staff may apply for additional roles at any time, regardless of staff applications being open or not.

For people who wish to reapply who have been rejected/declined before:

If you are rejected, you may reapply next time we have openings. If you do not follow the correct format in your post, then you will be rejected and not be allowed to reapply for at least two months. We hold the right to delay processing your app in order to give new individuals the chance to apply. Only if you are blacklisted may you never re-apply.

Trial Staff Process

Being approved will make you trial staff. From there you will remain trial staff for two months, at which point headmins will review you performance and decide whether to promote you to regular staff, extend your trial period, or remove you from staff.

We on VORE Station reserve the right to reject an application for any reason. Unless your application is blacklisted, we are not obligated to explain why because we're just not interested in arguing about it. If we say no, deal with it. We believe in this policy because any input to the application could unintentionally affect a future application with disingenuous changes that would help it be approved. If you are blacklisted, you ARE entitled to an explanation as to why.
Last edited by JoanRisu on Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 45 times in total.
Reason: Hiring Freeze for the Year.
Aces

Re: Staff Applications

Postby Aces » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 am

I never mentioned it before, but just so everyone understands how the application process works, whenever I consider an application, I read and consider everything before accepting any applicant. That's right, I read and review literally every single post under a thread before it's decided.

Even one person with a good enough argument can make or break an application's chances of approval, whether it's the original post, or a response to that post, or a response to another user within that post. Remember that Vorestation is not a democracy. There have been times when I've rejected applicants who many people supported, or accepted applications that many people supported not supporting. So far, in both situations, that has mostly turned out for the best.

A mark of approval or a mark of disapproval also doesn't necessarily help or hurt you in the ways you may think it does. I'm also paying attention to who supports you. If I know the person not supporting you is a shithead, then it's actually going to help your application. The reverse is also true, if a shitty person is supporting your app.
Aces

Return to Staff Applications