Digi5 - Admin application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"

Moderator: Game Admins

Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Digi5 - Admin application

Postby digi5 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:56 am

BYOND Key: Digi5
Discord ID: digi5
How old are you?: still 27
When you are most active? (including timezone): Rather random, but overnights EST currently are my most prominent.
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: Currently I play around 4-8 rounds a week.
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Kism Kustra, Reece Mavis, Fae, Vali Torshta, and more
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: 3 years
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: 3 years
Explain what most interests you about being staff: Helping to grow and foster a community that I’ve already been assisting to grow over the years, and I feel like I could do more for the community as an admin as opposed to a discord mod.
Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: Dealing with intra-staff conflicts and the stress that arises from it.
Describe what role-playing means to you:Playing a character other than yourself in an environment, public or private, typically with other people
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: A problem player is often someone who causes people to enjoy the round or the discord less as a whole. This can be through player behavior, their actions, whether IC or OOC, or through a simple lack of social tact. These people can often be helped and told what they’re doing wrong and can improve their behavior with good guidance.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A toxic player is usually just as the name implies, toxic, poisoning the round and the people around them and being generally poorly fit for the environment we have. They aren’t necessarily bad people, but definitely are bad fits for us, some problem players can potentially become toxic players if either left uncorrected or if their behavior fails to improve.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Abusing the powers granted by being an admin for personal gain or to damage others’ experiences
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: I think the current biggest issue is in cohesion, though it’s starting to improve.
How would you have it resolved?: Continuing to work together through issues and improving things as we have, generally being more direct with other folks and not letting issues fester longterm. I also think sharing more positive feedback could assist in this.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: Aghosting over them to see if they’re actually doing harm to anyone would be my first step, and if they’re doing something immediately harmful to the round paralyzing first may be important, before letting the person who reported it know that it was being handled, and then investigating from there and dealing with the situation accordingly to what is found at that time.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: Most often these people need a calm, brief discussion, and many people find that a third part of staff discussing things with them and how to avoid these problems in the future is helpful. I’d avoid placing blame anywhere directly if possible, and simply try to de-escalate and advise them to take a step away for a moment if they’re truly upset about it. Ideally no true disciplinary action would need to come from it, just a note and leave it be, but if they’re insistent on being loud and troublesome over it a dayban to cool off may be warranted in extreme cases.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: Ideally I would be able to find out through logs or consulting with other staff members, but if it’s truly impossible then simply discussing with people the overall issue and how it needs to be avoided in the future would be the minimum. I wouldn’t want to punish anybody off of assumptions that don’t have extremely solid grounding.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: Once again, reviewing the logs would be my first step in trying to uncover a bit deeper in, but if even that comes up dry then I’d consult previous notes and the rest of the team I had available for their opinions on the matter, and would likely avoid any severe disciplinary measure. Making notes on the players involved for future incidents that may have recurring themes would be a good thing to do, as if it repeats it may help narrow down the repeat offenders in these situations.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: If someone has sparked multiple adminhelps it is quite likely they’re somehow violating the “Don’t be a dick” rule, or is otherwise committing some serious social faux pas that they’re entirely unaware of. Admin pming them and discussing the situation and that people are taking issue with it would likely help, and making a note about the discussion. Most players are not actively out to give other people a bad time and would probably correct their behavior if they were made aware that it was making others OOCly upset.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: Ideally I’d want to split three other staff members to work on each simultaneously as to not have a single situation end up taking a good portion of the round for multiple of these players. However if I was the only one online I’d want to first check if the third player was still actively attacking people and to paralyze them if needed, and then work in sequence from there. The first player likely needs a severe talking to and a note at the least, if there was a history of toxicity and these issues then further disciplinary action may be needed, such as a week ban or worse. The second would most likely be a note and a discussion about proper handling of high tension situations, unless they were prone to such behaviors in the past, and if it was a job-related stress such as security then it would potentially be a job-ban discussion if this was a repeat offender. The third would also need a talking to about not involving unrelated parties in their issues and to potentially calm down, if they. Any of these three could result in a variety of disciplinary actions depending on how they reacted to the admin PMs and if they had a history of these types of behaviors in the past, but ideally none would need anything more than minor action and notation.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: I’ve worked as a discord mod on the vorestation discord for a whole two months.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: I think I’m a solid level-headed person who is good at de-escalation and seeing conflicts before they ever even truly start, and I think I can do more for this server if I step up to a full admin state.
digi5

Re: Digi5 - Admin application

Postby PontifexMinimus » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:35 pm

I will probably abstain from this because she thinks I have a bias over this as my friend.

However, if you take this into account and know about it, it basically counts as objective opinion, right?

Digi has been a moderating influence even before becoming a discord mod and is actively participating in staff and policy discussion anyway and that often as reasonable and level headed person.

Really, she should've applied for admin in the first place.

Support.

EDIT :

Actually I need to do this a moderate support because she is a fervent defender of beef lasagna and this is slightly toxic.
Last edited by PontifexMinimus on Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PontifexMinimus

Postby Scree » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:50 pm

PontifexMinimus wrote:Really, she should've applied for admin in the first place.
Scree

Postby PontifexMinimus » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:51 pm

Scree wrote:
PontifexMinimus wrote:Really, she should've applied for admin in the first place.

What a wise man, this quoted person.
PontifexMinimus

Postby ResidentCody » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:51 pm

Scree wrote:
ResidentCody

Postby biggs » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:33 pm

Michael Scott wrote:
Lebron James wrote:
Sun Tzu wrote:Really, she should've applied for admin in the first place.
biggs

Postby TankTheBirb » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:46 pm

Instant Support, no caveats.

Ok yeah it'd be wrong of me to not elaborate. To start with, ever since like your second week of you being a member of the staff team, I've been confident you could be an admin. And I hope my voicing of this approval didn't feel like an obligation for you to become one, because nobody should be forced to switch roles, even if they're competent and capable enough for one with more responsibility.

One of your best assets in this regard is your capacity for patience and understanding. You do try to see through the eyes of the people you deal with. It's genuinely a skill that's rare and sorely needed on the server in general and on the admin team. That empathy is a great way to build trust in people and humanize a staff team. That makes everyone's job easier, essentially having a diplomatic personality. We have a few already but it's a role that ends up getting tiring when you're the only one doing it.

However, you don't let yourself get walked over either. Once you've gotten your confidence in something, you're willing to stand strong about it. I admire that and I believe it's key for any member of the staff team, especially admins. You do have a strong conviction and a sense of what is right and wrong to do to people. You're not an arguer, you're a communicator. I learned that one from a corporate meeting so it sounds cheesy but it's accurate ok.

I'll be honest, I would've supported this application even if you said "fuck you, make me an admin" and that was the application. But your answers demonstrate more of what I know about you. You have a mind to leverage that you're in a team and get other people to assist you. You have a mind for methodical, cautious approaches and not just attacking the problem head on. You're understanding that most people aren't malicious, they just don't know not to do something they're currently doing. And that they can often improve to be better people if given the chance. You've also correctly identified a problem that you being on the admin team would solve.

I could probably babble on more about how you'd make a great admin but I'll just close with that I'm happy you made this application. And I hope to see you become the reddest fox that was blue. (its the only cosmetic downside to the role)
TankTheBirb

Postby biggs » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:24 pm

In all seriousness, yes, full support

While I would like us to have Discord mods, and do hope we get more apps for those (because I will shamelessly admit I don't enjoy policing the discord as much) I would happily have you step up to help manage administrative actions fully. You have the knowhow, temperament, and all around approach that I find exemplary in staff. You focus on speaking clearly and being understood, and do an especially good job of making sure in those efforts you still avoid outwardly getting emotional. Even when I know you personally are upset, you don't let it bleed out to others. It's an admirable trait that I myself strive for and think you do even better than myself. Even with the fact that I do know you enough to know at times you even seem to get more bothered by something than I do!

I've made the half joke that you've moderated us more then you've had to moderate the discord. But, it really isn't one. You've been a good influence on the team already, and, I don't have worries you're going to burn yourself out that much because you demonstrate a responsibility of self that is important to have and I think all of us can learn from. You also clearly have a strong, clear vision of what Staff should be, and your efforts in discussions have almost always left me completely agreeing with you. At worst, my disagreements have been slight, and ideological, rather than anything serious.

My one regret is that you won't get to make the 'lowly Discord mod' joke anymore as self deprecation. I'd say don't get a big head, but you're humble enough in reality that I know you wont.
biggs

Postby Killian » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:22 pm

I didn't post on the mod app and I regret that even if support was overwhelming already, so I'm posting on this one. Absolute support.

Patience of a saint, pleasant to have around, level-headed, even-handed... this is a no-brainer in my books, and I speak as someone who has been an admin for other communities in the past. I would be hard pressed to find a better candidate out of all the others I've seen in my time.
Killian

Postby VerySoft » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:38 am

yup
VerySoft

Next

Return to Staff Applications