Heroman3003 - Maintainer Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Heroman3003 - Maintainer Application

Postby Heroman3003 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:54 pm

BYOND Key: Heroman3003

Discord ID: Heroman#6372

How old are you?: 24 (25 by end of summer)

When you are most active? (including timezone): from 3 PM to 8-9 PM GMT+10. However can also be poking head in between 4 AM and 8 AM. On sundays, free all day.

Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: Just the game? 12-15 hours or so, though a bit less lately due to irl reasons, and give or take depending on energy I have one week or another and good time alignments. Coding and discord would be harder to gauge but definitely equitable to time I spend on station itself, I'd say. Lately maybe even more.

Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Lauren Zackson is main one. Lesser known ones are Alexander Brines, Alzea Cranewise, Jackwood, FIX3R, Erimi.

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: Since early 2013

How long have you been playing Vorestation?: Since early 2018. Late february/early march.

Explain what most interests you about being staff: Maintainers have tools ingame that allow for way easier debugging of active issues and problem-solving some. Also git access to lessen load to others.

Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: The extra authority that comes with it. I do not enjoy much being in positions of high authority, but 'just maintainer' shouldn't really be involved in decisions that require such on any normal basis anyway, to my knowledge at least

Describe what role-playing means to you: Creating a character in the different world/setting, planning out aspects of said character's personality and background; and then playing out that character's life within the world populated by other people doing the same. Getting into the role of character and their mindset yourself, in order to make them more alive AND believable.

Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: A player whose behaviour or playstyle actively reduce enjoyment of the game for those around them without them realizing that they are doing so and struggling to adjust their behaviour.

Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A player whose behaviour or playstyle actively reduce enjoyment of the game for those around them, who is usually aware of such but does not care, or actively derives enjoyment from that fact.

Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Use of admin powers and authority for completely personal enjoyment, while also doing so at detriment to enjoyment to enjoyment of the game by regular players.

In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: I honestly don't think there's a large big-scale problem holding server back right now. I'd say a lack of regular engaging events with focus on the RP and ERP aspects in even ways is main one.

How would you have it resolved?: As maintainer it wouldn't be in my line to fix these issues, but I am fairly confident I will be able to at least assist GMs with more complicated projects should they wish to undertake such

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: First of all, investigate the individual. If they are in active process of causing severe harm, such as attacking other players or sabotaging engine or dragging a welderbomb; freeze them first. Then question them about thier actions and reasons, investigating the situation. It might be a troll griefer or it might be a severe misunderstanding and miscommunication. If they are not in process of doing anything specifically obviously harmful, and original adminhelp does not specify what form of griefing they are doing, take the time to question original person reporting for details before confronting the 'culprit'.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: THe best option would be to try and appeal to the perspective of the other side that actually got wronged by player's actions and explain precisely why they were wrong rather than just insist that they are. Explain what precise reasons there are that their actions were in the wrong, with focus on how it affects those around them. Empathetic players will usually at least acknowledge their wrong, even if not acknowledge the right of the other side, but that is progress already.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: Logs are magic that can very often help determine many things. Combined with testimonies given, logs should help point to person who is obviously not saying the truth. If the situation is something logs cannot help about, a more thorough questioning of all people involved would be necessary. The more details they give out that confirm one another's story, the more obvious lie will become.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: Yet again, logs remain an absolute form of proof. However it is worth noting that if situation IS something logs can't help with AND something that lacks concrete proof, it might be best to give a good warning to avoid gettin ginto such problematic situations to the seemingly lying party and move on. If they have a history of getting into similar scenarios with similar outcomes, it might be a pattern worth recognizing and maybe acknowledging to punish more accordingly.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: The somewhat unspoken, yet universal rule is that even if you are not breaking any written rules, you definitely shouldn't be playing in a way that is to detriment of many other players' enjoyment. The player in question might just be a Problem Player or Toxic Player from examples above and a talking to and explanation of what behaviours are causing strife should be enough for them to at least show that they are making effort to not trample on others' enjoyment of the game (or not show that and potentially require further discipline).
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: The first thing would be to silence Player 1. Ideally via reasoning and calm talking, but even if asked to stop arguing, and the refuse to cease, a more harsh form of silencing may be needed (even if just for duration of investigation). They might not be at fault in anything regarding the actual situation regardless of their RP quality, but their loudness and insulting will not help at all, and might just make them one of the guilty parties instead. Player 2 might be at fault but its important to determine what sort of incident it even was and what sort of information they were operating under. Of course, running in with lethal force is not desirable but it is absolutely more forgivable in certain contexts than others and it might be forgivable. Player 3's incident is very likely to be as good as separate one, since it occured after first one was over and probably has its own context and investigation required. However if they simply used original fight as an excuse to continue attacking people after it was over, they are 100% at fault and will require disciplinary actions.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: I have been an admin on another ss13 server for like a year or two? Though it was not an experience that taught me much as I was mostly a ban stick against welderbomb griefers. Also have been moderating a minecraft forum for a while if that counts for anything. As for the maintainer-side of things, well, most of my coding experience comes from this server and while im definitely not magic master of ss13 code I'd like to say i have at least a good understanding of game's workings.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: Talent for doing code things combined with desire to improve the game experience and help others.
Heroman3003

Re: Heroman3003 - Maintainer Application

Postby Nanaki » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:03 pm

I will mark this with Approval. We could use more developers and you have more than proven your capability.
Nanaki

Postby biggs » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:03 pm

The reddest of cats. Upfront I'll make my bias known that I rather obviously know ya and like you, so my opinion is obviously biased in your favor.

I've seen you do helpful work and you're very obviously capable in the role of maintaining stuff, and when I come to you with personal requests or ideas you humor them for me and that's pretty cool. I would be a bit more tentative about you in a different staff position because I've seen ya when you get a bit worked up, but I also have definitely been seeing a significant improvement of that in the time I've known you. So with all that in mind, you have my Support.
biggs

Postby Kenzie » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:57 pm

I dunno, you definitely can be blunt/aggressive in a way which isn't the best. I think overall I probably support tho but not in an unqualified way.
Kenzie

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:36 am

I'm going to admit, I thought you already WERE a maintainer. I love the work you put in, but in the past we've had a few clashes over things that should and should not be added, or finding some things added to seemingly unrelated requests. Hell, I've personally clashed with you over a few topics.

All that being said, I fully support giving you proper maintainer role.
Demicus_Maximus

Postby Scree » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:17 am

Good catte. I'll admit I've had... rocky opinions in the past but you've mellowed a lot since back then. And I definitely can't fault your code work.
Scree

Return to Staff Applications