ResidentCody - Admin Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

ResidentCody - Admin Application

Postby ResidentCody » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 am

BYOND Key: residentcody
Discord ID: ResidentCody#0526
How old are you?: 28
When you are most active? (including timezone): 1700-2200 on GMT+9 at time of application. (If you know why, you know why.)
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: Approx 20-25 hours counting weekends. Often attempt to join a fresh round if able.
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: LUNA, Fizzle, Pathfinder, etc.
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: 3+ years now? It's hard to gauge off memory.
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: 1.5 years, wow.

The below answers are generally the same as from my GM application as for the most part my stances are fairly unchanged.

Explain what most interests you about being staff: I occasionally itch to actually have the authority and weight to officially chip in on things and directly handle issues instead of just kicking the can over to someone else to handle. Moreso than I already do as a Game Master, at least.

Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: More directly being involved in slapping malcontents and bad actors, but that's kind of the point of applying for this. I don't think it's a fun thing to do, but a necessary one.

Describe what role-playing means to you:
Applying the classic strategy of extrapolating definitions by reading things backwards, role-playing involves playing a role. You establish guidelines and a personality for a fictional entity and operate from that perspective in different scenarios. In the context of Virgo, creatively developing a character who enables whatever a given player seeks as satisfaction from either gameplay or interaction with other people's characters. The extent to which any given person goes when role-playing varies greatly, with some people committing rigorously and expertly to play and become the character and others to a lesser degree, all based on any number of factors like experience and personal satisfaction.

Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words:
A problem player would be someone who is a recurring person of interest, and not usually in a good way. This could include someone who doesn't necessarily break the rules but edges close or consistently causes minor disruptions, or someone who repeatedly makes infractions that don't result in a permanent ban. In general the term to me implies a persistent issue rather than a one-and-done reprimand or ban. I feel it could be applied in a number of ways and requires consideration before labeling someone a problem player.

Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words:
A toxic player would be a related, perhaps evolution of a problem player. In my mind this is more directly applicable to someone who actively makes other players have a worse time in some way, intentionally (griefing) or otherwise (incredibly abrasive personality). These may be people who are likely to be difficult to address in a mutually civil interaction, as intentional griefers are already there to cause problems and people typically don't appreciate being told they're wrong or causing problems and to stop.

Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words:
This falls under utilizing permissions and tools granted as part of being server staff to do things that do not serve staff actions. Appropriate use would be resolving admin-helps, supporting an event or activity, and so on. Abuse would involve using those tools for personal benefit, influencing scenes or events inappropriately, or even directly misusing them to target players maliciously. Having access to admin-level tools requires proper restraint and discretion.

In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?:
The server in general is in a strange meta-state of both being pleasantly updated with new things but as always lacking in curated events. This will forever be an issue because we're all adults with lives and can't dedicate 100% of our time to it, but that's why we have admin and GM applications open.

How would you have it resolved?:
What's being done right now, opening applications for new blood with new ideas to have a chance to spur activity of their own creation. It's hard for long-term staff to keep up being creative and spinning tales and activites for 2+ years, but a freshly-minted GM inherently brings new ideas to the table.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: Responding to the adminhelp in a timely fashion with at minimum an "I am looking now, please hold" response and request any details the sender can provide. A quick ghosting and scoping of the perpetrator in question is usually enough to ascertain if someone's being a problem-causer, and the degree to which this is true determines if it just needs a slap on the wrist and a stern warning or a quick-fire ban that would put Texas Red on the ground with how swift and fairly it ripped.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: Determine the details of the scenario to the best of my ability (checking dialog and attack logs, investigating with admin PMs to people involved, etc) and present the facts. It doesn't help to demean anyone, so I always offer a level and honest message. "This is what happened, this is why this happened, this is what they should have done, this is what you should have done." Trying to remain unambiguous as possible and direct.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: This one depends more on the scenario in question, assuming that objective server logs or admin-sleuthing can't reveal the answer.If it's petty conflict, it might make sense at the time to say as much. "The information I have isn't enough to make a determination. You're getting a warning." and apply judicious Player Notes. If things are more heated, it might make sense to issue a daycation ban to individuals ensure that they have time to cool off and stop fighting like children.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: Judgement calls must be made sometimes in the face of a lack of pure evidence. This is obviously not an ideal case. When in doubt, relying on other staff members as a second opinion is an option. If the scenario in question is problematic enough, we have the ban appeal forums for a reason. Bans can be waited out or lifted in case of permabans. Ensure that other staff are aware of what happened afterwards if not before.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: Determine what exactly the player in question is doing that is causing an issue. If there is not a rule violation happening, this sounds like someone is a new arrival who might not have the best idea of what's going on and is committing a series of faux pas left and right. This is usually fixable by a friendly admin PM and guiding them towards more appropriate behavior.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: How annoying a situation. Ideally calling in another staff member to help divide the investigation up. Apply things like paralysis or otherwise forcibly stopping people from stirring up even more trouble while investigating. This really just combines the previous responses into one much more stressful mess.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:
1.5 years as Vorestation GM and honestly kind of pushing into admin actions short of banning people. I feel like I kind of already do the things mentioned above just because it makes sense for me to do that because I can see most of the same information. That plus IRL job as a supervisor, again current staff knows what I do for a living.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
Another regularly active admin who can be around in a really garbage timezone. This question feels kinda redundant because as I mentioned I feel like I edge on doing these sorts of things anyways as a GM so this just feels like asking to hold onto the keys to the company car I've been driving instead of turning them in every day.
ResidentCody

Re: ResidentCody - Admin Application

Postby Kenzie » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:54 pm

Yea seems fine to me, support.
Kenzie

Postby Heroman3003 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:00 pm

Cody is a good bean, a very level-headed staff member and acts very much like one would expect full on admin to already. Support.
Heroman3003

Postby biggs » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:08 pm

Tbh! Once upon a time I thought you were a bit too strict/prone to being unempathetic to people you identified in the wrong and I thought it would make you not as well suited to a full blown admin role, but I think we both learned together how to handle the more delicate stuff and I no longer have any of those concerns, same as I felt with the GM stuff I feel now, if there's anyone I think fits it better than I, it's you, full Support.
biggs

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:23 am

While at the start there was a bit of rockiness, I've come to really appreciate your work. Full support.
Demicus_Maximus

Postby Scree » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:14 am

Duh. c'mon now. Yes.
Scree

Postby VerySoft » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:21 am

Yup, no brainer
VerySoft

Postby PontifexMinimus » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:50 pm

Sure. You do admin work anyway sometime when nobody else is around.
PontifexMinimus

Return to Staff Applications