Etheo - GM Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Etheo - GM Application

Postby Etheo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:29 pm

BYOND Key: jademanique

Discord ID: Ethe#5101

How old are you?: 23

When you are most active? (including timezone): Usually around 12pm-12am CST. This is likely to change, soon, though.

Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: If I'm not hyperfocused on a new game, I usually put in a shift a day, two if the ss13 mood is up there.

Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Suaviter, Hekate Starsong, Alexandra Ahura, a bit more rarely as Ethe Vynasii

How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: For about... Five years, now, I think? Maybe closer to six.

How long have you been playing Vorestation?: I've honestly lost track. I discovered virgo a couple of years after I started ss13, but I dont think I started regularly playing until around the time exploration was first coded in.

Explain what most interests you about being staff: Always loved the idea of creating fun scenarios or enabling other people's fun scenarios. I like to live vicariously through people when I host tabletop games, and my hope is it'll be just as enjoyable as a GM here. On top of this, Virgo's been seeing a lot of new innovation lately, and I know I'd love to help and be a part of that, too.

Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: I'm admittedly far more socially anxious now in my life than I was when I first got hooked on ss13. So I'm worried that if I'm given the chance, that I'll fail to live up to expectations. So... The standards, or rather the pressure they provide, is what I'll least enjoy.

Describe what role-playing means to you: Collaborative writing with one's peers, mostly. Taking on a role, and acting your character's part in it to create a fun and interactive story with your friends and potential friends!

Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: I'd say a problem player would be someone who'se not exactly a detriment to the community, but someone who has bad habits that tend to result in upsetting their peers.

Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A toxic player is, in my opinion, self explanatory. Their behavior is an active poison to a community's health that breeds contempt within. This is the... Simplest way I can think to explain it without dipping my toes in other games' specific examples. ^^;

Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Exploitation of the tools granted by the role for personal gain, or at the expense of others.

In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: Honestly, I cant really think of any genuine problems with the server itself, or any of the people I know. Its gotten so much better in the last year.

How would you have it resolved?: If anything, there's only more and more room for improvement. I love virgo as it currently is, but Im happy to see it get even better.

Consider the following questions, and answer in your own words:

• What kinds of events are you most interested in running in general?
    The kinds of events I'm mostly interested in are, I suppose, exploration kinds? With the new decisions for exploration on virgo overall, I'm honestly eager to see what new ideas and circumstances can be brought around, with a larger potential audience. I enjoy giving people puzzles and intrigue, because I love experiencing puzzles and intrigue.
  • Describe a larger event you would like to run.
    I dont feel confident enough to commit to a /major/ idea, but if I were to run a larger event, I suppose it would be something based in exploring ruins of sorts? I've practiced some mapping recently, and Im sure I could create something big enough for a good few people.
  • How might you go about selecting volunteers for your event?
    If I had to be meticulous? I'd go a traditional google form, and prioritize people who havent gotten the chance to make an impact on an event like above. Otherwise, I'd prefer a more organic discovery sort of involvement. Let people enjoy the spur of the moment and decide if they want to explore the situation.
  • Consider your event, what kinds of problems do you think you might run into, both in running the event, and from the players during the event?
    Oh gosh. I suppose a lack of 'replayability'? Once the situation's said and done, explored, I'd have difficulty creating anything large scale. But I suppose its a case by case basis, and would depend on if people want more, easier if its isolated instances.
  • How would you handle those problems?
    Spontaneous improv. If it makes sense to happen, I'll try and make something happen to keep people engaged. I've been out of practice for years when it comes to creating content in ss13, so it'll be a learning experience all over again.

Moving on from talking about your event specifically…
  • You noticed that the exploration team has made their way to virgo four, how might you spice up their time there?
    Depends on how prepared the team is. If theyre just looking to look, maybe I'll add a few extra ruins here and there. If theyre prepared for combat, maybe add a few extra mobs in some ruins, with more rewarding loot so it doesnt leave a sour taste.
  • You noticed that a miner or an explorer has run into some trouble out and away from the station, do you help them? How, if so?
    If people are already working on helping them, theres no real reason to intervene. Maybe nudge whatever mobs caused the issue away a bit. Otherwise, maybe bump them up onto their feet so they can RTB and recover. It can be real frustrating if you go down without people knowing, so if that doesnt work, maybe giving other people a nudge to go and help, so other people can get involved, create roleplay between players that way.
  • You noticed that four people who look like they might be trouble have appeared on the station. Their flavortext and ooc notes perhaps leave something to be desired and they are obviously working together. But they don’t seem to be hostile, they seem to have some kind of silly gimmick going. A concerned ahelp has come in about it. What do you do?
    Hey, if people are having fun and making fun with other players, why interrupt a good thing? If people arent upset about it, why not give some extra nudges to make things interesting? Roleplay's all about making memorable stories with a role, after all.
  • Someone is vocally upset about how things have played out during an event that you were involved with, what do you do?
    Apologize for any shortcomings and ask what would have improved things for them. People make mistakes, and sometimes people get upset. It happens.
  • Someone is being verbally abusive and disruptive in general. How would you handle this?
Tell them to step back and take a break. Its not common for people to be mean for no reason, so punishing someone just for a few rude words is a bit extreme. If theyre being intentionally mean and disruptive is another story, and probably needs more active moderation. A time out and a warning, in that case?

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:
I used to be staff for citadel, for a couple of years.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
I'm interested in learning more ways to contribute to ss13 in general. I want to learn coding, and I've been experimenting with mapping. I hope to eventually be able to develop these skills to create more content for myself and others to enjoy.
Last edited by Etheo on Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etheo

Re: Etheo - GM Application

Postby Kenzie » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:24 pm

To note, GM does have it's own specific questions which you have not answered.
Kenzie

Postby Etheo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:45 pm

Kenzie wrote:To note, GM does have it's own specific questions which you have not answered.

Oh my gosh Im so sorry.
Its been a bit, and when I went to check, it only let me copy down to the last question listed. I see the rest of the questions now. I'll quickly update!
Etheo

Postby biggs » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:36 pm

Biggs and declaring bias? Say it aint so! Yes, Etheo is another long term friend of mine who I made early in joining this community, yes this means I am biased positively in his favor.

Responsible declaring aside, I was originally going to abstain from replying to some of these apps, but I decided as long as I'm upfront about things, I don't have too much concern. You have experience with staffing before from another server where I've only really ever heard bits and pieces from you, I can't really comment one way or another on that to know if it's the kind of staffing style I'd like to see or not honestly, but from talks we had and what you posted here I think your head is in the right place on what to do with the role itself. I appreciate your focus on maintaining fun overall and I carry that into my own philosophy on station even when I'm not doing GM work. I also know from personal experience you've plenty of experience with DMing and telling stories, large scale stories can be difficult to keep going but individual setpiece stories like you proposed definitely can work well. Overall in terms of ability I'm pretty confident you know everything you need to know to do this well, and I think you know what Virgo is about pretty darn well.

My biggest concern for you as your friend and as an applicant is how you will handle stressful situations when they come, because they will come and they really suck. You have my Support, but this is under the condition that if things prove overwhelming or too much, you take care of yourself. We all want to make the community better but this is a volunteer role that ultimately, should not be a source of massive pressure for you so I hope you would take steps to ensure it is not if it isn't something that fits. I'm obviously not gonna bring your personal things into this, but I hope you understand why I say this, just lookin out for ya.
biggs

Postby Kenzie » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:50 pm

I dunno to be honest, I think you would be okay BUT you also seem pretty high-strung to me. Which can be extremely iffy for this position. I'm probably neutral.
Kenzie

Postby Etheo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 am

Kenzie wrote:I dunno to be honest, I think you would be okay BUT you also seem pretty high-strung to me. Which can be extremely iffy for this position. I'm probably neutral.

I do agree on the high strung part, its actually a characteristic of myself that I'm actively trying to improve. I actually get a large offset of enjoyment in helping improve people's experience, which is why I'm confident that I could perform well as a GM despite my anxieties.
Etheo

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:31 am

Hmm. I've seen you around all the time, and I agree with the 'high strung' bits. But after reading things over a bit, I would support your GM app.
Demicus_Maximus

Postby Scree » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:20 am

Ye, I've seen you about and you have some neat stuff going. Would definitely be interested in seeing what sort of events/storylines you could come up with.
Scree

Return to Staff Applications