Sirlionfur - Maintainer Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Sirlionfur - Maintainer Application

Postby Selis » Tue May 10, 2022 3:34 pm

BYOND Key: sirlionfur
Discord ID: Selis#7216
How old are you?: 20

When you are most active? (including timezone): I am most active from 6/7pm to about 12pm (German Time [UTC +2 - Central European Summer Time], Note: On the 30th of October the Timezone will change to [UTC +1 - Central European Time])
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: Approximately 30-37 hours. It depends if I have something else to do in the evenings or not pretty much.

Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Katyno, Aero, Althea
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: I started to play the game in approximately 2017/2018. At least that is when I created my account for it.
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: Since January 2022

Explain what most interests you about being staff:
What interests me the most, since this is a Maintainer application, is maintaining the GitHub repository of this codebase. I do want to review (and if they are good approve) the new changes/additions. Another goal is cleaning up and resolving all of the Pull Requests (since many have compatibility issues) and resolving the issues.

During this, I want to stay a lot in contact with the player base to get proper feedback, and more suggestions and to always have an idea of what players might want or like to have added. It's very satisfying to change something up or add something and then see others really like that change. Making others happy makes me happy as well.

Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff:
The most unfortunate thing, that will most likely happen, are mirrored PRs which will be heavily incompatible (though including changes or additions which are beneficial for the server). This would mean untangling it to make the PR mergeable, without breaking anything in the process.

Describe what role-playing means to you:
Role-playing for me means that I get fully immersed into the character which I am currently playing. What they think, how they feel, and respond accordingly to anything that might be happening.
Each of my characters has their backstory, quirks, things they like and dislike, and things they are and are not good at.
Roleplaying one of those characters is pretty much like living their life from their point of view.

Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words:
A "Problem Player" is someone who generally breaks server rules, or is very close to breaking them if not broken.
This will most likely always cause conflicts with other players trying to roleplay peacefully, trying to enjoy their time.

Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words:
A "Toxic Player" is someone who behaves badly and/or against the rules OOCly (for example in-game OOC, Discord, the Forums, etc.). This would also include deliberately destroying or ruining the general roleplay atmosphere that is currently present, or the ongoing interruptions of the roleplay of other players.

Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words:
"Admin Abuse" pretty much means what it already, more or less, says. The abuse of the verbs, commands, permissions, and authority that were given with the Admin role.
This is mostly connected with the fact of using said powers to gain an unfair advantage towards other players/characters (e.g.: Healing self in combat, giving self unfair weaponry).
Also, the kicking/banning for no valid reason is considered an abuse of administrator permissions.

In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?:
I'd say the server itself and the player base is great! The only thing, more or less, outside of the server that has been at least a little problem for me, is that there are many open PRs and Issues which had been already resolved or covered in another PR. The tagging system is also not used, to sort the issues by urgency and type. The general approval process for a PR could also take up to a day, depending on when the PR was opened.

How would you have it resolved?:
Well, as a maintainer I would of course work on handling the push requests and issues, assigning them tags and resolving them.
But in the end, this will be a lot of work since there are so many of them.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it:
    (Note: As a Maintainer, I am primarily supposed to maintain the repository of the codebase. However, I will still try out to help the players in case of any conflicts)
    One of the first things I would do is check if the individual is still in fact actively griefing, stopping them first before they are able to create more damage.
    Otherwise, I would start to generally gather Evidence by Logs (For example the action logs of the emitters, if they were turned on/off) or witnesses seeing the individual grief.
    It is of course possible that either the individual is innocent or the "grief" was something out of pure accident (like a misclick). In that case, they would not need to be punished.
    They do need to be punished however if they did break the server rules.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it:
    First and foremost is the defusal of the situation in general. It is important to calm the player down first, to prevent any irrational behavior that could make the situation worse for other players or themselves.
    Once they have calmed down, I would explain to them how they are in the wrong, though still try to understand why they might have felt upset in the first place, trying to find the most optimal solution for everyone to be satisfied.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it:
    First I would, of course, listen to both stories thoroughly, trying to hint out anything out of it, while trying to find evidence by the means of logs or witnesses. The best case would be having enough evidence in the end to know who is indeed lying, punishing them accordingly on which rules were broken.
    Of course, for both players, a note should be created with the conclusions of both players for future administrative investigations.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it:
    First, depending on the severity of the situation, action might be taken already to prevent further damage or disturbance.
    Though, in any case, I would still try gathering evidence by going through logs and player testimonies. If there seems to be no other evidence available that would proof the player breaking the rules (like that seems to be the case in this scenario), I would have to let them go with a warning or let them go in general.
    Either way, a note about the situation and conclusion has to be added to their file for future administrators dealing with this player.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it:
    This would have to be investigated first trying to, again, gather evidence like player testimonies or observing them for a bit. I would have to find out what exactly is wrong to determine if it is indeed against the server rules, punishing them accordingly.
    If I am not able to find anything that would proof a broken rule, I would start to observe the individual a bit, trying to catch them breaking a rule (if they did as the player reported).
    Nonetheless, I would document this in the player notes, for future administrators to use.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it:
    First I would call for more administrator help, due to more players being involved in it.
    This will at least defuse the situation more quickly (for example stopping the players at the same time) with the additional help of gathering evidence and processing it and assisting me due to the inexperience of ss13 administration.

The punishment would depend on the severity and intent of all three individuals. For example, the first individual needs to be first isolated and talked with, explaining to them why this behavior is not alright.
    The second individual could either get off with a warning or with a jobban, depending on if it was pure intent or inexperience of, for example, playing security for the first time.
    If the fight just finished, the third individual might have misunderstood. But if it already stopped for a bit longer, they would have to told not to randomly attack anyone for no reason, depending on their intent or behavior during this session, letting them off with a big warning or giving them a little timeout (in the worst case).

Of course, everything has to be documented inside of the player notes and all individuals will be told to re-read the server rules.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:
Unfortunately, I do not have any direct SS13 Server Administration experience (except as hosting my own little server for some friends, which is not really a community).
Though this is my administrative experience when it comes to stuff outside of this game:
- Gameserver/Forum/Discord Moderation/Administration (Communities larger than 100 players)
- Tier 2/Tier 3 Internet Service Provider (BGP Network Administration)
- Linux-/Windows-Server Administration
- Director of Software at a StartUp
- Backend Developer at Eurofurence
- Git/GitHub (Or other Git version control services like GitLab, Bitbucket, etc.)

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
I do have extensive knowledge in multiple programming languages, as well as experience in server administration (Linux/Windows).
I have been programming for several years which allowed me to quickly learn how BYOND (DM) code worked, including TGUI.
Though of course, the main goal is to heavily maintain the codebase repository. Mainly reviewing all the PRs as well as managing those as well as issues.
Selis

Re: Sirlionfur - Maintainer Application

Postby Kenzie » Sun May 15, 2022 5:08 pm

Selis wrote:How long have you been playing Vorestation?: Since January 2022

This a little short for me to be honest.

Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff:
The most unfortunate thing, that will most likely happen, are mirrored PRs which will be heavily incompatible (though including changes or additions which are beneficial for the server). This would mean untangling it to make the PR mergeable, without breaking anything in the process.

This a fair answer but definitely not what I would put.
I skip all the scenarios because even though they are part of the application they are not super relevant.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:
Unfortunately, I do not have any direct SS13 Server Administration experience (except as hosting my own little server for some friends, which is not really a community).
Though this is my administrative experience when it comes to stuff outside of this game:
- Gameserver/Forum/Discord Moderation/Administration (Communities larger than 100 players)
- Tier 2/Tier 3 Internet Service Provider (BGP Network Administration)
- Linux-/Windows-Server Administration
- Director of Software at a StartUp
- Backend Developer at Eurofurence
- Git/GitHub (Or other Git version control services like GitLab, Bitbucket, etc.)

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
I do have extensive knowledge in multiple programming languages, as well as experience in server administration (Linux/Windows).
I have been programming for several years which allowed me to quickly learn how BYOND (DM) code worked, including TGUI.
Though of course, the main goal is to heavily maintain the codebase repository. Mainly reviewing all the PRs as well as managing those as well as issues.

Anyway I'm kinda in favor of this application overall, I would just like to see a couple more months of activity + a few more big code projects merged. Like your enthusiasm is commendable and I'm sure you have the background for it but it feels in my opinion iffy to accept an application like this without the commits to back it up. Which I am sure will come in time, but the bigger projects I see so far from you are drafts/unmerged. So for now I'm neutral just because there hasn't been as much opportunity to see you at work.
Kenzie

Postby Selis » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:32 pm

Hey, first and foremost thank you for your feedback!
I am sorry for taking a bit longer to respond, due to me having quite a busy week.

Selis wrote:Anyway I'm kinda in favor of this application overall, I would just like to see a couple more months of activity + a few more big code projects merged. Like your enthusiasm is commendable and I'm sure you have the background for it but it feels in my opinion iffy to accept an application like this without the commits to back it up. Which I am sure will come in time, but the bigger projects I see so far from you are drafts/unmerged. So for now I'm neutral just because there hasn't been as much opportunity to see you at work.

And yeah, I do understand the concern about both the time I had been a member of VOREstation (which are only a few months), as well as not many larger projects being done yet.

To both, I can only say that I will of course keep being active, play on the server, and of course make more commits to the codebase.
The larger draft projects are of course either still work in progress like the Modular PDA Port or are being thoroughly tested on any game breaking-bugs or any issues in general like TGUI Additions had been (which has been put out of draft earlier today). Adding to this is that I am also working on projects that do not have any repository on the VOREstation GitHub yet (since they are still very new and I am generally testing or seeing if it could be something that could be beneficial).

But yeah, it's just a matter of literal time until both of the concerns, which make the app iffy to accept, vanish.
Either way, I am looking forward to the time that I will spend in this community!
Selis

Postby Nanaki » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:05 pm

I admit I have not interacted with you as much as I would have liked (mostly due to me! I can be a bit shy), but what little I have seen has been fairly decent. Approve.
Nanaki

Postby biggs » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:01 pm

We've not interacted too much beyond briefly, but if nothing else I tend to follow the assumption that a maintainer is going to have a much better insight on if you're good for the role than I would. So with that combined with your enthusiasm that I like to see I'll give a Support as well.
biggs

Postby Kenzie » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:25 pm

It been another month and change and I now recall you breaking some stuff but not acting like a diva about it which was mostly what I was concerned about wrt the lack of code projects merged. 'Cause when you make a big change and it doesn't go well is when people sometimes leave in a huff/refuse to fix broken stuff out of spite/pitch a fit or numerous other bad reactions but I didn't really see anything like that so I feel a bit more comfortable with support.
Kenzie

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:26 am

For maintainer role? Neat. I'll give it my support!
Demicus_Maximus

Postby Scree » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:15 am

I dunno enough about maintaining (despite for some reason being given maintainer perms on the git and to this day I have no idea why) but I've seen some good work.
Scree

Return to Staff Applications