RoJoh - GameMaster Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

RoJoh - GameMaster Application

Postby joey4298 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:00 am

BYOND Key: joey4298
Discord ID: RoJoh#7481
How old are you?:26
When you are most active? (including timezone): I'm on during varying times of the day, though mainly during Central standard time, 10am to 12pm.
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: 40ish hours maybe.
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Rosey.
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: A good half decade and then some.
How long have you been playing Vorestation?:5 or 6 years.

Explain what most interests you about being staff:
That I'll be around to help keep things running smoothly and provide enjoyable experiences for all those involved.

Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff:
Redtape, events I plan to run won't always be organized Duke events.

Describe what role-playing means to you:
Assuming the role of somebody who I couldn't be myself, and developing their personality/story through some sort of story medium. On the E RP side of things, it's a great stress reliever and I find it to be quite fun.

Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words:
Depending one the context, a problem player could be somebody who consistently breaks a/the rules for their own personal benefit.

Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words:
Somebody who's not just a problem ICly, but out as well. Somebody who gets by using the rules and toes the line.

Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words:
Spawning a combat kit for Exploration at round start cus I wanted it to go smoothly. :P

In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?:
To be honest, the server's still better than it has ever been. I would say lack of spice.

How would you have it resolved?:
Minor events, @pred hey, who wants to play a large dragon that I may or may not lure compatible players toward? And generally just inspiring fun and memorable roleplay opportunities.

Consider the following questions, and answer in your own words:

What kinds of events are you most interested in running in general?
Things I have done before, and would do again-- spawning a kaiju-esque girl to eat people on the shores of V4. Spawning a catgirl in to eat a lone player who might've joined late. Asking for a @pred to see if they'd be interested in playing a character with goals and interests that do not pertain to the usual rise and grind of the shift-to-shift that the crew has.

Describe a larger event you would like to run.
I've always been fond of pirates, abductors, trader ships, and now there's a ton of potential to do things in a better way than I used to. Trader ship for example,I could actually have a ship to fly about- make them come to me, or instead there could be a big store that appears out in space/on the beach-- run by various potentially hungry characters, and full of things that might also interest the average player who could use said things to go back and make their own scenes better.

How might you go about selecting volunteers for your event?
Posting a form that players could fill out that says I have permission to include them/their characters in events specifcally, or ping the roles until someone fills the role.

Consider your event, what kinds of problems do you think you might run into, both in running the event, and from the players during the event?
I've been thinking about this stuff for years now, so I would think a problem is constituted if every event pred/NPC is off being scened with for more than an hour or two, maybe. As it doesn't give everybody the opportunity to be included, but some players want quality 6 hour scenes, so I'd have to think of a way to give everybody what they desire.

How would you handle those problems? Maybe limit the event characters to a certain standard of scene, maybe make that clear from the get-go? I'm not going to claim to have all the answers, but I feel like testing things and finding out wouldn't do anything but benefit the events going forward. During events like pirates, could set up a separate resleever for prey who might-- want to explore elsewhere or continue with another character in the event. Perhaps work out a group of endo-preds who might be willing to take on a group.

Moving on from talking about your event specifically…

You noticed that the exploration team has made their way to virgo four, how might you spice up their time there? Depends on the group, say it's the Bogen/Nehi/Drate/Rosey combination? I'd give them a mystery to solve, perhaps- dead marines, dead zorrens, but something's not right? For a band of newbies, I might just carefully lure them around the already spawned POIs to help them get a feel for the game, maybe have an NPC Zorren steal one(or all) of them.

You noticed that a miner or an explorer has run into some trouble out and away from the station, do you help them? How, if so?
Well, honestly, yes. It really does depend from situation to situation, but in most contexts, yes. If some lone or duo/trio of explorers dies out on V2 and doesn't at least have a way to alert the crew back where medical can revive them-- it might be at least a time-saver to have a passing NPC call up the station, maybe having seen the ship from orbit and that they lost vital signs.

You noticed that four people who look like they might be trouble have appeared on the station. Their flavor text and OOC notes perhaps leave something to be desired and they are obviously working together. But they don’t seem to be hostile, they seem to have some kind of silly gimmick going. A concerned ahelp has come in about it. What do you do?
I alert the admin team itself, for the moment of waiting I simply make sure they wouldn't get up to anything too nefarious. In the event that zero admins respond and it's up to me to deal with them-- to be honest, say they're all greytide griefers. I'd have them quarantined out-of-sight until backup arrives.

Someone is vocally upset about how things have played out during an event that you were involved with, what do you do?
No event is perfect, I've learned. So, I'd take their feedback calmly and try to avoid the problem in the future.

Someone is being verbally abusive and disruptive in general. How would you handle this?
Calmly explain that what they're doing needs to stop, and enact a kick if need be, otherwise I'd leave it to a admin to deal with.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: Admin/Gamemaster here, and dead servers.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
Somebody to liven things up when the server population is low, or maybe even just lacking in active staff. I'm less worried about the overall state of things and more interested in improving the quality of lewd/vore RP found about. Of course, that's not to say every shift will have giants walking around, or strange happenings, but-- if you look hard enough, you might find them.
mofu
joey4298

Re: RoJoh - GameMaster Application

Postby VerySoft » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:46 am

Being entirely honest here, I do not think you are a good fit for the role.

You have made it very, very clear on many occasions that you are primarily interested in playing a power fantasy, and there have been plenty of times I've seen you getting up to things that are fun for Rosey, that either come at the expense of others or just exclude anyone approaching the scenario.

I definitely don't think you have the self control, based on what I've seen, to not use this to try to win the game.

So! No support.
VerySoft

Postby biggs » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:13 pm

Your time as staff was before my own, so admittedly, I have it as no frame of reference personally. I only ever knew you as a normal player, and honestly had forgotten you were so until this reminded me.

In truth, at least personally I think we have very different perspectives of how the game should be, and I feel like we'd probably clash in an unproductive manner if on the same team. I worry you'd be rather forceful with your direction of what you think is the right direction for things to go, even to the detriment of team cohesion based on what I've seen in the past sometimes when you've a strong opinion. I really don't want to clash with you, cause honestly, I think you're pretty cool overall and I think that would be unfortunate. Naturally this means I'm not super confident with what I think you would do with the tools you would be given, even if I don't think they'd be admin abuse, I don't know if it's a Virgo I would want to be on.

I have, however, personally seen that you do at least respect and operate within bounds requested of you, when I've given you stuff and asked you not to make it into a big loud thing, you have abided by that, even if I didn't get the feeling you completely agreed. I acknowledge the possibility that if integrated [back] into the staff team, you could possibly gain perspective on some matters that would alleviate some of my present concerns. No support, but with a slight neutral lean in light of that fact.
biggs

Postby Kenzie » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:43 pm

I was honestly pretty torn about posting this because I like you, but this is a definite no support from me. I have bad memories of you as GM (there a nonzero chance I ascribed some stuff Table did to you and vice versa in my old age, but even so), and the way you act in game while usually fine can sometimes be way more focused on your own fun than anyone else's, which is not really what I would want to see from a GM.
Kenzie

Postby joey4298 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:05 am

That's a fair assessment. I don't plan on running anything wild or out of the ordinary for what goes on already, to be honest. I'm aware of the state of my GMing run after being told by numerous sources, although I get a lot of the otherside as well; people telling me I did a great job and that there weren't any problems to address other than my occasional overzealousness to give the populace something to do.
I plan to be more focused on doing events pertaining to fetish inspiration in general, just one example would be asking for a predator to possess a large dragon.

I won't deny that I'm doing this in part for my own amusement, but that's sorta required to do these types of things. I'd never use my own permissions to give myself any sort of advantage, say for exploration. The worst I could imagine doing is spawning a player (MAAAYBE myself) a shrinking device, ray or otherwise.

When it comes to now,
You can ask around, I prefer to share the enjoyment- anything I'd ask for or get was either related to a scene- or I wanted to make everybody elses experience more enjoyable.
mofu
joey4298

Postby JoanRisu » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:54 am

This reapp is relatively new so I'm going to leave it up past our cutoff to get more feedback.
JoanRisu

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:18 pm

I +support Rosey's return.

While pretty wild in the past, I think they've learned enough to be more sensible about things now.

Though I would PREFER if technomancers didn't make a return. Even the nice and friendly ones still managed to cause havoc just by existing.
Demicus_Maximus

Postby joey4298 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:55 pm

I'll be frank and say I don't have any greater aspirations other than my goal of inspiring vore, in its many forms, and I'm not opposed to doing so both directly and indirectly.

Ideally anything I would do, even the more planned occasions the playerbase gathers for, would induce the desire the eat your friends, not just to give the players an area to spread out in.
For instance: Creating some kind of hot-spring that an exploring couple could be narrated to stumble upon; or even just the tiniest helping hand to a scene inconvenienced i.e. adding a light to someone's hidey-room who was rushed and wants a mood light.

I still want to play out my power fantasy occasionally, such as while I'm playing at 4am for god knows why, and some lone prey is wandering alone... and a dragon might show up to claim them and leave. I'd still give players that opportunity to be the dragon before myself, but I do enjoy playing these roles and some of those roles includes being the one IN power. I don't want to be an almighty, all-convenient idol that always has what you need for a scene, because things also need to develop naturally ICly-- but for a moment, imagine the average player, maybe they need a capture crystal and well, there isn't one... they could pray for one and I wouldn't turn them down.
mofu
joey4298

Return to Staff Applications