phoaly - (Trial) Admin

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Re: phoaly - (Trial) Admin

Postby PontifexMinimus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:28 pm

I don't think it's the best idea for you to apply for admin. I know the motivation behind it and to a limited degree, I even am sympathetic to it.

However, I have to agree with Soft. You are very passionate and very emotional. Too emotional to detach yourselves from situations which I think would only serve to the detriment for you to enjoy the server.

So, overall, I think I have to not support this because I don't want you from the prospect of suffering extreme burnout and alienation.
PontifexMinimus

Postby rotago » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:57 am

PontifexMinimus wrote:I don't think it's the best idea for you to apply for admin. I know the motivation behind it and to a limited degree, I even am sympathetic to it.

However, I have to agree with Soft. You are very passionate and very emotional. Too emotional to detach yourselves from situations which I think would only serve to the detriment for you to enjoy the server.

So, overall, I think I have to not support this because I don't want you from the prospect of suffering extreme burnout and alienation.

VerySoft wrote:I appreciate your voice and your input on things as a member of the staff, and I think you have a good eye for making fun events happen.

I do not however, think that you would do especially well as an admin. The problems you have had relating to staff action are not going to go away just because of a heightened rank, and I have not seen enough of you doing staff action for a long while to give me the impression that that has changed.

I think your heart is in the right place, but I genuinely think that attempting to operate as an admin is going to lead to further frustration and burnout for you.
This is not to say that I don't think this will ever change, but based on what I have seen and know about you, I don't think this is a good fit, much as I may like you.

No support.

I understand these, and I acknowledge them fully. In the past I have tangled myself up in admin matters involving myself or people within my very close circle. I've challenged headmins for calling out my personal bias, and taken a number of things personally, that I otherwise should not have. I've made a lot of mistakes, and my introduction to the staff team was difficult. I expected something very laid out, very strict, something my strongest suits play well too. What I got was a very freeflowing, almost communal or familial team of people. I'm sure I don't need to keep going through all the incidents I've had, I'm sure it's still very much a present concern in everyones' minds. I have been largely absent from staff for a couple couple months and I'm more sure that doesn't do well for showing change. I've taken a good amount of time to sort my affairs and feelings out, time I've used to find ways to help me sort out my emotions and separate them for a better judgement.
I want to make it perfectly clear that this application is for a short term. I'm applying for a trial with the admin staff. There is no way for me to change your concerns presently, even after addressing them. The absolute best I can do, is give you my scouts' honor, a promise that I have changed, and gotten much better at separating my emotions and my judgement. I want a trial to show that I can do that. I want a trial to show that I can remain an active member of the community, and avoid burnout. I want a trial, something impermanent so I can pull out sooner rather than later if it really doesn't work out. What I'm asking for is a real chance to show that I can be, and am fit to help our community from an administrative seat. I even know a good admin I can shadow during my trial.
I've had a lot of rough patches with the staff, and I've made a lot of mistakes; I've asked for changes that would be wholly unreasonable or unrealistic; and I've shown problems letting my emotions control my view; but I've worked very hard to overcome all of this. However in this short term, in this present, it doesn't really matter, because a lot of this progress has been either off screen or was some months ago. What I can do, is offer you a promise that I will do better, and I am asking you for a chance to prove that.
Only The Bestest!
rotago

Postby JoanRisu » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:24 am

I think there is some apprehension going on that is causing the head staff to give you trial ship, especially after the previous conflicts that thankfully didn't last in frequency and have not cropped up for months now. I think that can attest to you working on yourself, which is why I lean more towards support

The hesitation may ultimately be coming from your motivations, so perhaps expanding on why adminship is needed to do community stuff is so important will help.
JoanRisu

Postby rotago » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Before, I may have said that I wanted to be Admin because I saw all these things in the server that I wanted to change for the "better". But over time I've realized that my vision of "better" doesn't exactly fit the vision the rest of the staff have. It's not really my responsibility, nor is it in my best interest, to try to force change on others. Not only that, but were our positions swapped, I'd see that as a worrisome reason.
My motivation to want to be admin, to want to ask for a trialship, is that I want to help in the places that any admin could. Instead of wanting to change how we run things, the thing I want to improve is our staff responsiveness, and I want to do that by responding to problems quickly and efficiently. We have a problem with ahelps going unanswered for long periods of time, and a problem with our modmails staying up for weeks and weeks without resolution. I want to help our staff by just being a good admin. I just want to be a good admin who players can trust, and one who can get the job done well. I'm not here trying to make waves, I just want to give us a better face by doing the given job well.
I understand that I've had issues with foresight and judgement in the past, but I believe that by working with other staff, I can circumvent those issues. Two heads are better than one, and an entire team of admins certainly has better judgement than just me alone.
Only The Bestest!
rotago

Previous

Return to Staff Applications