Alcastar - GameMaster application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Alcastar - GameMaster application

Postby Alcastar » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:42 am

BYOND Key: Criepswhateven
Discord ID: Alcastar#2952
How old are you?: 25
When you are most active? (including timezone): I don't have a set sleep schedule, but usually i'm awake between 12am-6pm Central Standard Time UTC -6
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: Currently most of it
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Alcastar, Rai'yuo
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: over 5 years
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: since box station, not quite sure how long ago that was
Explain what most interests you about being staff: Want to GM events so we can have some more regular events
Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: In the past i've mainly disliked having to keep an eye out for ban evaders, they're usually not very clever and it's more of a chore than anything else
Describe what role-playing means to you: acting out a character in text through a manner similar to acting out a character in theater or movies
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: One who repeatedly breaks or edges the rules on purpose
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: one who actively attempts to make the game less fun for everyone involved, usually through the same methods as a problem player, but also through other means.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Admins using their power to give themselves a mechanical advantage over other players and/or make the game less fun for other players or at the expense of other players.
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: lots of event ideas that never get into production
How would you have it resolved?: checking out those ideas and seeing if i could make them into an event

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: Investigate the individual in secret, then question and/or ban them if they are potentially griefing, depending on severity and obviousness of griefing
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: there's not much an admin can do about this, attempt to calm the player down, keep an eye on them for a bit in case they try to take things into their own hands
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it:further investigation is required, as well as other pairs of eyes/ears. bring in any other witnesses and consult with other admins/mods
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: depends on the severity of the situation and consensus from other admins/mods, in previous servers i've moderated for this could be anything from letting everyone go with a warning to outright banning the individual in question.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: this may require a rephrasing or rewrite of the rules, as either the individual or those who are adminhelping do not seem to quite understand them. some guidance or reprimandation may be required depending on severity.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: will want to mark all the players ckeys before starting, then moving on to prevent any more deaths by separating any of the three who are still actively killing into an off-map area or removing their control over the character. Multiple admins would be best to question each person individually and undo any damage, but if alone it would be best to work backwards starting with the third, as they would require less work to process and likely ban as they are obviously griefing. the second and first would require the most questioning, and depending on severity, may get off with just a warning. if any of the three purposefully disconnect to avoid bans or questioning, they will be banned, especially if it can be determined that they were working together and were not individual cases.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: i've moderated a few different servers, including roleplay and game servers

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: i don't feel very unique, but i have experience moderating and running games and would make a great extra pair of hands.
Alcastar

Re: Alcastar - GameMaster application

Postby Ohx412 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 pm

For wanting to be a GM, you certainly seem to be active enough as of recently. I have enough faith that you'll be able to plan events consistently with that time dedication.

However, I'm afraid that your answers to the app overall seem to be lacking to me. While you have been getting more active, you're still somebody I don't know all that well. With that said, however, I would still like to know more about your past experience moderating and organizing stuff from other places. I might be willing to give my support if you have enough experience.

But for now, I am Neutral on this app until other people voice their support enough for me to change my mind.
Ohx412

Location: Discord ID is Nodu#1940. Contact me there for the fastest response time.

Re: Alcastar - GameMaster application

Postby Alcastar » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 pm

my memory is a bit hazy since this was several years ago or more, but for events i've done in the past, what's most relevant i think is that i've previously worked as a mod for Vorecraft and played and attempted to events quite often in trying to spur people to actually roleplay instead of sitting around in the respawn monument or their houses, as well as general mini-games.

I don't know byond mapping very well at this moment, but since before time on VC the staff would run an minor 'auction' type event fairly frequently as a means of gathering everyone in one place and allowing them to use the money plugin to pick from one or more players to be their RP partners, and a mini-game type event that was run frequently was a hide and seek type event, where staff and sometimes players would work together to make maps for and I had frequently assisted with decorating the auction house, building maps, and running both events. Another popular minigame was the minotaur run, where one or more preds chase around a group of prey and switches through a labyrinth.

other projects that i helped with that are minorly relevant was building the internals of most of the mobs, collaborating with the only other staff member who made large builds regularly on occasion, constructing several setting areas including sci-fi, fantasy, bar, and modern themes for people to RP in, and running other minor minigame events that didn't have any vore involved.

personal attempts at running events were me trying to run auction and mini-games solo, but also attempting to implement events and games i've seen in other places such as the beach parties we sometimes have here among other things. I also attempted to use my limited experience being a Dungeon Master to try and run a simplified vore TTRPG type game where players would run around in to-scale dungeons and towns i built and would try to DM campaigns around them, however.

It was not easy running any kinds of events for the last half of my time as a mod on VC as there seemed to be a general lack of interest in roleplay of any kind let alone ERP and I myself was losing confidence that our current playerbase at the time were voraphiles and were just there to play Minecraft, the usual regular events would have low turnout and any new events we tried to implement to try and bring more variety (on the assumption that people just wanted something new) would die in conception as not enough people would turn up to play them on their test run, which lead to me playing less there and more here and eventually being removed from their mod team due to inactivity on the server itself.
Alcastar

Return to Staff Applications