phoaly - (Trial) Admin

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

phoaly - (Trial) Admin

Postby rotago » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:01 am

BYOND Key: phoaly
Discord ID: SweetBlueSylveon#0700
How old are you?: 23
When you are most active? (including timezone): 1pm PST - 2am PST
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: Varies. about 12 hours, or 2-3 full rounds a week. I've been fluctuating between playing very little a week, to playing a lot. I've recently had a lot of things coming up in real life that have made me very emotional, which was a key reason for my recent LOA. Having time to compartmentalize real life events, and online problems has been great, and I'm going back to my habit of playing several rounds a week.
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Amelia Grey, Pip Shyner, Louie (Regular small event character), Taschi Kasich
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: About 8 years.
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: About 5 Years.
Explain what most interests you about being staff: My original interest in becoming staff was related to my interests in being a gamemaster. Wanting to make doing events easier by allowing me to use buildmode and the admin panel. But now I want to be an admin on the team so that I can help with ahelps, handle modmails, and take more part in staff and server discussions.
Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: For me, the interpersonal aspect of being staff is what has been most difficult. My rigidity is something that I have struggled with my whole life, and is something I'm always trying to improve. And being staff on virgo for the time I have been so far has shown me quite a lot of things I have needed to work on. Making discussions into arguments, taking issue with every little thing, jumping the gun on conclusions are all traits that have made me a difficult person to work with. And these are all traits I have worked very hard on the last year. I hope that my voice and tone on the forums, and my recent interactions frame this change well. I also hope to show that change during my trial, should I be accepted.
Describe what role-playing means to you: Roleplaying is a form of expression. It starts with the creation of a character or setting, which you then begin to breathe life and personality into. Creating stories between people through fictional character interaction. Writing the actions of a character as if you were them, or you could see through their eyes, Writing stories for a city, as if you could hear its heartbeat.
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: A problem player is someone who regularly causes "problems." People who skirt the rules, people who are not fully or are ill adjusted to the community or the server. Problem players are people who can, through regular coaching and staff adjustment, because better adjusted to the climate of the server. Problem players are troublesome, and need regular correction and guidance.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A "Toxic" player is someone who has a regular or constant negative affect on the server or community. People who refuse to listen to guidance from staff, or are overly defensive and abrasive when being corrected or handled by staff. A toxic player is someone who refuses to grow or change with the community, or with staff instruction. In general, problem players should be worked with to become upstanding members of the community, but a toxic player will be unable or outright refuse to commit to such growth or change.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Admin Abuse is a very broad term for a very broad number of things a member of staff could do with their rank and influence. Generally, using one's rank as an administrator in a way that is either detrimental to the server, the playerbase, or the rest of staff, or to promote/further the goals of oneself or one's friends, outside of the benefit of the server. Examples given, using one's rank and privileges in such a way that is disruptive to the community or server; using one's rank and influence to protect or attack other members of the community; using one's privileges to cause unnecessary and negative disruptions for those on the server, such as interrupting scenes or gibbing a player unprompted.
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: I feel that the server suffers a lot from inactivity on the part of a large number of staff members. In the form of few active admins on the server answering ahelps, modmails and forum threads being left up unprocessed or unattended for weeks or months at a time, and a lack of staff frequently posting in space lobby and interacting with the community directly and oocly.
How would you have it resolved?: I would add to the bodycount of people who actively watch for ahelps and modmails, and try to process them regularly and in a timely manner. I hear a common complaint of not wanting to ahelp, or being very reluctant to ahelp, due to the common issue of ahelps going unanswered for 30+ minutes, or at all. I'd also like to show the general playerbase who interact with the staff that we are members of the community too, showing another friendly face to interact with and provide positive relations with the average player. I feel as if the staff needs more active admins and active staff in general, especially ones who are very tuned into the community.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: I'd jump to the person who ahelped, pull up their player panel, then jump to the person they ahelped, and pull up their player panel. I'd respond tot he person who ahelped to ask for additional details; who it was, what exactly happened, why they think the person is griefing. Then I would observe the person they ahelped, and if they aren't causing immediate havoc or damage, I send them a message asking them what's going on. If what they're doing is so bad that it requires cleanup or damage control, I'll freeze the character and ask them what's happening. If they don't seem to understand what they're doing is wrong, I'll explain to them what was not allowed and why. If it was an accident, I'll ask them to try to avoid it in the future. If they aren't doing anything wrong, I'll send them on their way, and tell the person who ahelped that it's been handled. If what they say shows that they aren't here to play seriously, or intend to cause further malicious damage, I'll apply a ban.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: This depends how oppositional the player is, and how easy they accept that they are in the wrong. I would start by trying to mediate the situation, whether through de-escalation, or trying to sympathize with them. But if they don't seem to take to calming down or going about their business, I would ask for more consensus from Asay or Central Bridge. If either no one else is on, or I feel that they are are not willing to continue on, I would tell them to make a modmail about the issue.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: In a situation where I cannot figure out something important, my first intuition is to check for online staff. Asking for help from other staff would be the first thing I would want to do, given another set of eyes on the situation can help find something I've missed. Moreso, more staff helping to talk to multiple people can help to take off some of the load, makes it easier to keep things straight. Regardless of whether or not someone is able to come on to help with it, I would otherwise start by trying to talk to each of the people involved, asking their side of the story, and getting a pool of information. Then I'd check logs and variables to see if people were where they say they were. Finally, if I couldn't find out no matter what I do, I would tell each person what we want to see avoided in the future, and mark them each with a note about their involvement. This way, further down the line, those players who don't tell the truth will stick out in later incidents, or nothing will come of it, and things go back to an amenable place. Anyone who is left with a sour taste in their mouth I would encourage to continue the matter in a modmail, rather than through ahelps.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: Really the same way as the last question. Ask for help, compare stories between each involved party, check stories against logs and variables, and provide proper notes that include my suspicions or observations.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: Given the player is not in any clear violation of rules, I'd take a moment to observe their behavior. I'd check to see what online admins there are, and ask them how they feel about the situation. I'd try to talk to them about the shift and ask them what had happened in their experience around the incidents brought up in the ahelps about them. If I can discern a reason why they're causing such a big fuss, I'd try to level with them and tell them that how they're acting is causing some friction, and ask them to tone it down a bit. If I couldn't figure out a specific reason, I'd try to talk to them about trying to be more mindful of the other people on the server.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: This is another incident that would be much easier with the help of other staff. The first step is to ask for help and request admins to come on to help if no one is around. The next step would be to do the rounds for each player involved, start up ticket with each of the players about their situations. If each of them knows that an admin is actively trying to talk to them, it's more of an incentive to wait before performing more rash actions. For the first player, exhibiting poor RP skills and insulting the others, I'd tell them that they need to calm down and maybe walk away from the situation. I'd tell them that their behavior, being very volatile and disruptive, is causing a lot more difficulty than help. For the second player, rushing in and using lethal force, I'd explain to them that jumping in gungho in that manner is more prone to cause disruption than it is to settle the situation. I'd explain to them that in the future they need to try de-escalation and nonlethal alternatives long before they ever consider anything lethal. For the last player, causing separate issues after the first fight was over, I'd reprimand them for continuing a problem that had already been concluded. I would tell them that it is not valid to use an incident such as that as an in excuse to stir up more violence.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:
I was a headmin for Genesis Station for roughly a year before the server went down, seeing an average player population of 20-30 people per round.
I was a cofounding headmin for one of the largest Duelyst discord servers, boasting more than 200 users, including a developer and a large handful of active streamers.
I have also been a GameMaster, a LoreMaster, a Forum Moderator, and a frequent development contributor for this great SS13 server called Birgo Underground Factory Establishment, for about a year.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
For a while I had this idea that it was my personal job to try to correct things that seemed wrong or unfair. But I've come to the realization that, not only is that not my personal issue, but it's more often than not, detrimental to my relations with other people, or just damages how people will view me. I've tried very hard to calm down since I first joined staff; I don't want to be player 2 from that last moderation question. What I do want to do now though, is I want to add to the number of active staff attending to modmails and ahelps. Helping the playerbase is something I wanted to do from the beginning, and is something I never really stopped doing. I think more friendly and active faces on the staff team could really benefit us well. Especially in the Admin department. I want this server to flourish, I want this server to be fun, and I want the community to continue to grow as we do.
Only The Bestest!
rotago

Re: phoaly - (Trial) Admin

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 am

You took an interest in admin duties as a gamemaster. Though, there were conflicts of interest and plenty of clashing personalities. I feel like your passion for the community is definitely something that will help the community. Support.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis: Chief of Security
Mr_Signmeup

Postby Kenzie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:56 pm

yea i support this too, there are things you definitely have to work on but i don't see any insurmountable obstacles
Kenzie

Postby SecuritySheep » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:32 am

Theres certainly a passion for the community in your work as gamemaster. I cant see saying no to you being a administrator as theres always room for improvement! A Yes Here From Sheep
SecuritySheep

Postby Ohx412 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:51 am

I can respect that you acknowledge the issues you have with yourself that I saw when you first joined our team. Even more so when you mentioned that you are working to fix them. It has been a while since I last seen your issues influence your judgement. So I believe I can say that you have improved indeed.

On a personal level, you have been a good person overall. It has been a pleasure working with you when it comes to events. And I will still be looking to continue to work with you if you do become an admin.

Your past experience with us is still very fresh in my mind. You have certainly shown that you're capable of working with other staff members and on your own. Heck, I think I even learned a few things from you.

Thus, I can safely give you my Support. If you continue to work on your issues like this, then I can say that you'd be a decent admin with us.
Ohx412

Location: Discord ID is Nodu#1940. Contact me there for the fastest response time.

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:58 am

Been pretty darn pleased with your staff work thus far. I +SUPPORT you stepping up to the next tier~
Demicus_Maximus

Postby nerdass » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:48 am

Definitely support this.
nerdass

Postby Scree » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:11 am

+1 clownmin
Scree

Return to Staff Applications