Ryumi - (Trial) Admin

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Ryumi - (Trial) Admin

Postby Ryumi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:37 am

BYOND Key: Ryumi (My old ckey was Gowst)
Discord ID: RYUMI #0001
How old are you?: 23
When you are most active? (including timezone):12:00PM to 12:00AM (US Central time) on average, anytime around there.
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?:I normally play about 5 full shifts' worth of time in total, so roughly 30 hours at most? If the Discord also counts in this, then I'm almost afraid to say how many hours I've dedicated as I am constantly chattering on there. If time spent developing is counted... then it is likely that I am dedicating a good chunk of my week to the server.
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Nikki Yumeno, Amy Iruma, Milia Ryuuthas, and Siri. Back then, my main character was Eldi Moljir.
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: Wow, I... actually don't know. I think I first got into it at around 2015?
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: Since at least 2017.
Explain what most interests you about being staff: Several things! First and foremost, I'd like to give back to the Vorestation community that has brought me a lot of joy over the years in a way that helps make playing here a better place for others. I like the idea of making sure that the server is a place in which others are having fun and enjoying themselves. As well as that, having more flexibility in creating fun and memorable experiences for other players has a lot of appeal to me as well. Generally speaking, the ability to facilitate more fun shenanigans for station players to engage in, through events and silly lighthearted goofs, is something that I would love to do. Finally, I really want to help the playerbase in a more direct way after watching events play out from the perspective of a player for so long.
Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: Probably dealing with toxic players, which I've elaborated on further below. I have no problems dealing with players in genuine misunderstandings, but doing so with someone with malicious intent and with a genuine total disregard for others is definitely what I am least looking forward to.
Describe what role-playing means to you: To roleplay is to insert oneself into a literary world in which the only true limitations are the player's imagination, and the rules that restrict them. Videogame mechanics can only account for so much player agency, as mechanics themselves can only tackle play in the concrete and material sense. To roleplay is to temporarily accept that these mechanics are not our limitations. Whenever one engages in roleplay, they look past what they see on their screens for something deeper. For a time, they and other players come to an agreement that what they are all collectively imagining is the reality of what they are experiencing. Or at least, that's what I believe happens in the best-case scenario.
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: A problem player is one who tends to attract trouble in one way or another... unfortunately not quite in the good way either. I think the important distinction to make here is that a problem player, unlike a toxic one, causes trouble out of non-malicious intent. This could be caused by a tendency to genuinely misunderstand others, or be easy to anger for all their good intentions. Fortunately, this makes them easier to work with because they are usually willing to work out these problems. Nobody is perfect after all, and not every action that causes others pain is an intentional one.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A toxic player on the other hand, is somebody who causes trouble out of genuinely malicious intent. This is an important distinction because when it comes to addressing people who cause trouble, I believe that assessing intent is key. A problem player causes trouble out of an occasional misunderstanding, sometimes not even understanding that they have done something wrong. On the other hand, a toxic one does so out because of a legitimate desire to cause harm to others, which makes the key difference between being mistaken and toxicity.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Essentially, admin abuse is when an admin takes advantage of their power to gain an advantage for themselves at the expense of others. Usually this involves the improper use of admin powers ingame for things like godmoding their characters, but it can also entail the admin using their position to hold leverage over others to get what they want.
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: There are no problems I can think of that are explicitly involved with rule-breaking. I would probably say character cliques are our biggest problem, although I think that they are not as nearly as much of a problem these days as they were in the past. I'm aware of the histories of most of the ones that are no longer around. They're present on pretty much any HRP server, but I have always found their presence to be detrimental to a roleplay environment.
How would you have it resolved?: I would deal with cliques as politely as I could. The first step would be finding out about them. Typically, they aren't very easy to identify, so it takes some digging around in the playerbase to find out about them, usually in the form of just asking around about cliquey behavior, like players only ever really interacting with specific, other players and ignoring everybody else, even when prefs match up with those they consistently ignore. From there, I'd just talk with the players about why they are in the clique they are in, and first try to talk them about disbanding the clique and branching back out to interacting with other players again. After all, those cliques form because they went out and interacted with random players in the first place! If the situation does not improve, then of course action will need to be taken depending on how badly the clique is behaving, and based on feedback from other admins.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: Pop in and Check in on the accused person by firstly observing them to see if they're actually doing anything wrong. If I see anything odd, I would then follow up by asking them politely if they have a moment to answer some questions. After all, just because someone has been ahelped does not automatically mean that they are actually breaking any rules! I'd ask them some questions about what they've been doing and, if they've been up to anything "griefy," let them know that a certain action or actions of theirs are against the rules of the server, and ask if they could stop. If they don't understand, as sometimes this comes from a misunderstanding of the rules, I'd help them understand what a certain rule means and then help them adjust to something more within the server rules.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: I would calmly and politely do what I can to help them feel better about the situation, while helping them understand exactly why they are in the wrong. But there is after all only so much I can do to help them feel better, and if I can't do that, then I can at the very least make it clear why they are wrong.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: If I'm unable to tell who it is, then I'd need to check in with the other admins and ask for their opinions on the situations. After all, admins don't work alone and we as individuals can only do so much. And sometimes it helps a lot to get a second (or even third) opinion on a situation. With this assistance, I would deduce who is lying by fact-checking with people about what happened, especially about particular aspects of it. From the sounds of this question I know already what is being lied about, so I would know what questions to ask. Mainly those questions, as well as where they got that info from (in the event that someone else was lying to them about it.) From there, I would be able to tell who is lying.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: At this point, I would unquestionably need help. This question is worded in a way that sounds like I have been acting on my own up to this point, so I would absolutely get help by now. There is nothing else I can do on my lonesome to progress any further on this without taking action based on info that rests on very, very shaky ground. So all that's left for me to do is double-check and triple-check with other admins to make sure that we can collectively gather as much info as we can. After all, there may be something I missed that others can pick up on. From here... if evidence IS found, then I would be able to confront the liar with the evidence that contradicts them, and take appropriate action based on the severity of what they have done, as well as a note detailing the event and the fact that they lied about a given detail. If evidence is NOT found... Then unfortunately, I don't think there really is anything I *can* do, aside from perhaps a note on the person or people who I suspect to be lying, detailing the incident as well as my suspicions of them having lied about it.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: Politely ask the player in question if they have a moment to speak with me. Usually, from my experience, this results from someone being ICly shitty towards others to much that the players themselves feel OOCly shitty because of it. If it reaches the point that the player is getting ahelped even when they aren't violating any rules, then it is probably about time that the IC behavior of the character in question be the subject of discussion. I would explain to them that their IC behavior is causing others to have a negative experience playing, and even though they've not broken any rules, it's important to remember that we all play on this server to enjoy ourselves and have a good time. I would ask that they extend that same courtesy to other players. Hopefully after this conversation, they will improve their behavior around other players and keep them in mind.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: Oh jeez, that's a lot going on at once. A lot of what I would do here would be dependent on whether or not there are other admins on at the moment, because in this scenario I would definitely need to act fast. I will assume I'm the only admin on the server at the moment. First and foremost, I would revive/rejuvenate any players killed or seriously wounded in the fights respectively.
    It sounds like those who were causing harm are no longer doing so, while the person throwing out insults is still doing so at this moment, so I would PM that person first and politely ask that they please stop insulting others as the situation is handled, as they are only aggravating the frustration that a lot of players involved are probably feeling right now.
    The person who only used lethal force would get spoken with next. It sounds like this person was the exception in that they were the only one actually trying to kill anybody, as opposed to just knock them out or lightly harm them. Additionally, because there are dead characters... it sounds like this one has killed several of those players. This is not only serious over-escalation, but it's also MULTIPLE murders. I'd speak with them and ask them a few questions. Perhaps this player thought that, during the fight, they would be killed if they didn't defend themselves with equal force to what they were anticipating? Regardless, they would get a note detailing both the incident and their response.
    Finally, I'd speak with the person who had went on to attack more people after the first fight... Being in the heat of the moment and fighting back with extreme force is one thing. But when the fight is done, to go on and attack other people... there's escalation, and then there's outward violent hostility. If they have gone on to attack more people at the time of my response, I'd PM them and tell them outright to stop, and to answer a few questions I have for them. Assuming they stop seeking more people to attack and I don't have to do anything to stop them (like freezing them,) I'd ask them why they fought the characters in the first fight. Then I would have them explain how that lead to them attacking even more players after the fight. After they give their explanation, I would make a note about their responses to the incident.
    Once the conversations and talking are all done and sorted out, I'd check in with other 'mins about their opinions on the matter. Though I have a slight bit of admin experience, mine is precious little, and for a situation like this I'll be up-front: I can talk with the players and sort things out, but when it comes to what kind of action should be taken here I am truly at a loss due to a lack of experience. I would need help figuring out what kind of action to take. However, that is also in part because I don't know how the players would respond to my questions yet. This is the kind of situation that has a lot of things happening at once, and though the results of the fight speak for themselves partially, the intent of the players involved is just as important as what they have done. To me, player intent in this situation is more important than ever. It makes all the difference between, for example, the player defending themselves against perceived lethal force in a sprawling and confusing fight with a lot of participants, to another possibility in which the player is just using a fight as an excuse to "robust" some players into crit.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:I have had some very, very brief experience with adminning on Yogstation. I've been a mentor on Goonstation for about half a year... and I have been an admin on a private server I hosted another BYOND game for some folks on the Virgo Discord, where I helped them occasionally fix stuff... though I don't think that in particular counts too much.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: I understand the boundaries of others and do my best to respect them. My approach to dealing with players is, I believe, down-to-earth and fair. As well as this, I have a relatively thorough understanding of the game, its mechanics, and even some of its programming, that I know how to handle some ideas for events that I have.
hello yes
Ryumi

Location: Trekking in the mountains, learning from monks the art of "arrpee"

Re: Ryumi - (Trial) Admin

Postby Haery70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:59 pm

Gonna be honest, I'm moderately surprised that you decided to make an admin application. When you said something about writing something on the forums last night I assumed that it was some erotica on Eka's forums. Now, do note that I may have some bias with this player, but I'll try my best to make sure that it's not gonna stop me from trying to be as critical as I can possibly be in a fair sense. I may also not be entirely confident with what I'm posting right now and have double-checked, maybe triple-checked, my reading for a good portion of the day before making this post.

Ryumi wrote:What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:I have had some very, very brief experience with adminning on Yogstation. I've been a mentor on Goonstation for about half a year... and I have been an admin on a private server I hosted another BYOND game for some folks on the Virgo Discord, where I helped them occasionally fix stuff... though I don't think that in particular counts too much.

As someone who's been on the server underlined you did do a good job trying to get the server up and running even going as far as to fix up a sister codebase for that game which is still a WIP while using an outdated version of the original for us to play on. The server proved to me that you can make fair judgements without getting power-trippy even when you have no idea how most of the admin verbs work because nobody gave out clear instructions on how to use them. I won't go too far as it deviates from this application.

Now, I will say that most of what you said is pretty solid. But, There is one thing, well maybe a few, that I would like to say...

Ryumi wrote:Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Essentially, admin abuse is when an admin takes advantage of their power to gain an advantage for themselves at the expense of others. Usually this involves the improper use of admin powers ingame for things like godmoding their characters, but it can also entail the admin using their position to hold leverage over others to get what they want.

SHE'S GONNA USE HER POWERS TO EAT ME AND LOCK ME IN THE TUMBY ZONE FOR ALL ETERNITY, DON'T MAKE HER ADMIN IF YOU WANT ME TO SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY AGAIN! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Just kidding, I know you're not gonna do that. All jokes aside, Here's the thing that actually worries me:

Ryumi wrote:In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: There are no problems I can think of that are explicitly involved with rule-breaking. I would probably say character cliques are our biggest problem, although I think that they are not as nearly as much of a problem these days as they were in the past. I'm aware of the histories of most of the ones that are no longer around. They're present on pretty much any HRP server, but I have always found their presence to be detrimental to a roleplay environment.

Now, I will say this is an invisible problem that's been around for longer than I have. Players do tend to stick with people that they're familiar with, especially when it's a potential scene partner. But, it's not the problem itself that I think is the problem, but how you would handle that problem.

Ryumi wrote:How would you have it resolved?: I would deal with cliques as politely as I could. The first step would be finding out about them. Typically, they aren't very easy to identify, so it takes some digging around in the playerbase to find out about them, usually in the form of just asking around about cliquey behavior, like players only ever really interacting with specific, other players and ignoring everybody else, even when prefs match up with those they consistently ignore. From there, I'd just talk with the players about why they are in the clique they are in, and first try to talk them about disbanding the clique and branching back out to interacting with other players again. After all, those cliques form because they went out and interacted with random players in the first place! If the situation does not improve, then of course action will need to be taken depending on how badly the clique is behaving, and based on feedback from other admins.

First of all, they're very easy to find if you know where to look. Second of all, you're trying to lead a horse to a watering hole and making it drink with your approach. As I said before players are going to find who they're most comfortable to be around, especially when looking for scenes. They're not gonna just up and leave their partners like that, especially if it's a role that has virtually no importance like Visitor or Intern. As for trying to get to branch out, well... I'm not sure if that's possible, a good portion of the target audience tend to display introverted behaviors and won't be comfortable with hanging around other players that they consider to be strangers. Some players even tend to have their scenes last for the entire round and it becomes a first come, first serve situation with special treatment.

There's also other factors at play, but I think that I'll be putting too much focus on this if I go into each and every one of them because it detracts from the application and I had to chop up that 2 paragraph explanation into a single paragraph. This is pretty much most likely the only issue that I have and I can discuss about it in DMs if you'd like or if the staff is ok with me saying what's needed here.

I do believe that you'll find a way to solve this issue and I do believe that you'll make a fair admin. But, I have a feeling that I need to stay neutral, slightly leaning to support until I'm confident enough to pick a side, most likely because I'm not sure if they're looking for admins at this time and whether or not you hosting another server for a different BYOND game could affect your chances which I'm hoping is irrelevant in your case.
Haery70

Postby Ryumi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Haery70 wrote:
Ryumi wrote:In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: There are no problems I can think of that are explicitly involved with rule-breaking. I would probably say character cliques are our biggest problem, although I think that they are not as nearly as much of a problem these days as they were in the past. I'm aware of the histories of most of the ones that are no longer around. They're present on pretty much any HRP server, but I have always found their presence to be detrimental to a roleplay environment.

Now, I will say this is an invisible problem that's been around for longer than I have. Players do tend to stick with people that they're familiar with, especially when it's a potential scene partner. But, it's not the problem itself that I think is the problem, but how you would handle that problem.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "clique." When I refer to "cliques," I do not mean groups of players who are comfortable roleplaying with each other. No, that is just a group of players who are comfortable hanging out with each other both ICly and OOCly, and there's nothing wrong with that! We all find people who we prefer to roleplay with, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
When I refer to cliques, I mean something more akin to the Schae clan from a while back. While that has already been dealt with and is now in the past, I'm just bringing that up as an example.

Haery70 wrote:
Ryumi wrote:How would you have it resolved?: I would deal with cliques as politely as I could. The first step would be finding out about them. Typically, they aren't very easy to identify, so it takes some digging around in the playerbase to find out about them, usually in the form of just asking around about cliquey behavior, like players only ever really interacting with specific, other players and ignoring everybody else, even when prefs match up with those they consistently ignore. From there, I'd just talk with the players about why they are in the clique they are in, and first try to talk them about disbanding the clique and branching back out to interacting with other players again. After all, those cliques form because they went out and interacted with random players in the first place! If the situation does not improve, then of course action will need to be taken depending on how badly the clique is behaving, and based on feedback from other admins.

First of all, they're very easy to find if you know where to look. Second of all, you're trying to lead a horse to a watering hole and making it drink with your approach. As I said before players are going to find who they're most comfortable to be around, especially when looking for scenes. They're not gonna just up and leave their partners like that, especially if it's a role that has virtually no importance like Visitor or Intern. As for trying to get to branch out, well... I'm not sure if that's possible, a good portion of the target audience tend to display introverted behaviors and won't be comfortable with hanging around other players that they consider to be strangers. Some players even tend to have their scenes last for the entire round and it becomes a first come, first serve situation with special treatment.

And as I have said, this is not what I meant when I refer to cliques. Although I would like to make it more clear what I meant by "Disband the clique." When I said that, I do not mean telling them they cannot interact with each other ever again or anything extreme like that. No, that would be micromanaging on my part, which is not at all what I want to do! I also do not mean to force them to interact with a specific player or group of other players. Again, that would be incredibly invasive and controlling of me to do!
What I'm talking about here goes back to when those players first started playing on Virgo and didn't know the people they formed the clique with. At that point when we are playing, we probably didn't know anybody back then, nor did we know who we wanted to roleplay with. The reason they flock with those players is because they ran into them, interacted with them for a while, had some great roleplay going that both of them enjoyed, and even made an OOC friend over time. And that is a great thing on its own! It is when that group of friends begins to gatekeep others, cause OOC trouble as a group, and generally ignore people outside of that group that it becomes a clique in my eyes.
When I refer to "Disbanding the clique," I mean encouraging these players to open back up to extensively interacting with more people again, in the same way that lead them to meeting those people they so enjoy being with already. I'm not going to tell people who to play with, or how to play their character, or who they can or cannot interact with. Again, that kind of behavior would be seriously invasive and controlling of me to do. In this scenario, I would simply ask those players that they look outward at the rest of the playerbase, and not see it as the "us or them" that they came to see their relation to the server as. What they do from there is entirely up to them, not to me. I just want for them to keep an open mind when it comes to meeting new people, as that is after all how we make friends, both in-character and out. Keeping that openness creates a wonderful roleplaying environment, and an even better server environment.
hello yes
Ryumi

Location: Trekking in the mountains, learning from monks the art of "arrpee"

Postby Kenzie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:18 pm

honestly i have not really interacted with you in any meaningful sense, your answers to the questions are in my opinion acceptable but not outstanding, i will remain neutral for now
Kenzie

Postby vitorad » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:29 pm

I think it would be the best outcome if I leave the questions and overall review of the application to the admin team, but even considering that - I would like to express my opinion. Knowing Ryumi for a couple of months already - I could surely tell they will be able to carry out administrator's duty without any issues. Not only that - I believe that their creativity would be really useful in the future with making new events. Personally - I completely trust them and believe they will be a nice addition to the current admin staff. Big +1 from me.
vitorad

Postby Haery70 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:15 pm

After thinking it over last night and reading your response I believe that there was a misunderstanding on both our parts. Like I said, I felt that something was off when I made the first response. After a surge of thought I do believe that the term you're looking for is not 'cliques', but 'meta-groups'. I will agree that they're not as big as they once were and that I think that I may have put too much focus on a detail so minute.

My stance has slightly gone up to a very light support after thinking it over, hopefully they're accepting more admins around your time zone at this time.
[+]
I'm mostly hoping that it's a yes because I'm more active around the later half of those hours and most admins don't appear during that time frame as much as they used to if you discount deadminning.
Haery70

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:28 pm

I'm in support of this application.

You're shown to be quite reasonable, down to earth and approachable. I would definitely like to see how you handle yourself with administrative duties in a trial-run.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis: Chief of Security
Mr_Signmeup

Return to Staff Applications