Rykka_Stormheart - Developer/Maintainer Application V2

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Rykka_Stormheart - Developer/Maintainer Application V2

Postby Rykka_Stormheart » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:56 pm

BYOND Key: Rykka_Stormheart
Discord ID: Rykka Stormheart#8798, or Nyria#8798
How old are you?: 22, turning 23 in 9 days!
When you are most active? (including timezone): Currently it varies, but mostly 10:00-01:00, or 20:00-09:00 when I'm back on overnight schedules. Both timeframes are EST.
Roughly how much time do you dedicate to the server each week?: If you count development work (In the PR's I make and checking github), a minimum of 16 hours a week. If you count active server playtime, it's a little low, averaging 3 hours a week over the last few months, but I've been aiming to increase my playtime with my gf as of recent.
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Rykka Stormheart, Nyria, Ryven Dunetail, 5U2U (Suzu), RHI:'x', and Nori Winterheart
How long have you been playing Space Station 13?: Since... August 2019? Almost a year, 11ish months now.
How long have you been playing Vorestation?: Same as above, nearly a year now.
Explain what most interests you about being staff: Assisting with development PR's, using our testmerge capabilities to allow more in-round live testing (with approval), interacting with the community to help focus on fixing pain points and help keep development moving.
Explain what you think you will least enjoy about being staff: Handling Administrative tasks such as conflicts between users. Partly because it's not what I'm applying to do, and partly because while I have administrative experience, I still worry that I could improve better and I feel like I'd be far more comfortable shadowing an admin to observe and learn.
Describe what role-playing means to you: Playing as a character, and in the context of SS13, fitting into the environment. On an HRP server, this typically means following along with what your character is capable of, and (in the case of IC restrictions), following those, too. Failing to understand how to weld something and asking for an engineer to do it (Despite welding being a one-click action mechanically) fits perfectly into roleplaying, for instance. Each person has their own RP standards - I hold mine fairly high, but I also recognize others take it less seriously, and I do my best not to enforce my beliefs on RP on others.
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: Someone that causes issues, intentionally or unintentionally, or is simply difficult to deal with OOCly. This doesn't mean they don't deserve to play here, not by a long shot - it just means that they have some slight issues that could use improving.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: Someone intentionally causing issues with the intent of causing harm to the community, intentionally causing strife (such as arguments over Discord that are intended to make people angry), or wading into arguments and tossing out random, personal insults instead of contributing to a discussion. There's multiple examples, but the best way to describe it is someone that actively harms the community by being around, whether or not they mean to. And that doesn't mean they're broken and we can't ever fix them. I've seen some people turn around after some helpful, constructive criticism. I'm an optimist.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: I've stated this before, and my answer is pretty much unchanged. "Acting in a manner that's, as the words imply, an abuse of their powers. For instance, spawning in stuff like an infinite power generator rather than faxing for an engineer, etc. It's fairly simple to define admin abuse game-master-wise in my opinion. The other type of admin abuse is more social, such as boosting their friends, or being lenient on friends but harsher on people they don't know, etc." Admin abuse can also include making changes without waiting for feedback (in the case of a dev making a PR and speedmerging it without waiting for feedback because of something they feel is a problem, but others do not, or ignoring feedback.)
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: We're beginning to potentially enter a codeslump again, with Aronai having gone on break, Leshana sort-of here (and she's been a great help to me, as has Aro and the others), and Ascian/Nanaki on a codebreak other than fixing mirrors. IMO, it's more of the same from last time, overstretched development staff.
How would you have it resolved?: IMO, I'd focus on cleaning up mirrors and keep working on the things I have been to keep the server up to speed with /tg/ and others. As of my last app, my primary skill was mapping, but I feel I know a bit more .dm code than I did then, and I feel much more comfortable in assisting with development work. The big focus is reducing the turnaround time on PR's from a staff-side perspective - I'd like to see if 'staff feedback' is needed on a PR, that it's turned around and given feedback/completed in underneath 7-14 days. However, we're all volunteers here, so, it's not a job with an SLA, or something. :p

Why were you rejected in the past, if you applied previously?: This one isn't on the official question list, but I'd like to add it just so I can address concerns (And I think it's a question worthy of adding to the list) and/or help answer any potential questions/concerns. https://forum.vore-station.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1598 This was my last staff application. There were concerns that I can be too defensive regarding changes asked to my own PR's, and a potential concern that I'd react negatively to people if given any authority. I'd like to state that I feel that I've addressed these concerns to the best of my ability, and focused a lot on making changes to how I act. I do still slip up from time to time, however, I have made strides in where I used to be. There's also the potential concern that I may take criticism on PR's personally, and I'd like to address that. I can get heated sometimes discussing a potential change, and that is something I'm working on, I separate myself from the code I write, in how I take feedback, and regarding potential changes, my biggest area of concern is that people understand the how and why they're asking for making changes before they do. One of the pain points of my past was the Xenobiology rework, and I learned a lot from that.
The application was ultimately rejected in Jan 2020 as stated by Ace:
The role of developer, which is really just a Github maintainer, is not something we need at this time.

However, I encourage you to continue contributing to the code, and perhaps apply again in the future should we need the position.

Declined for now.

Anyhow, my apologies for this section being so long, but I wanted to make sure any concerns were stated and that I understood WHY my last application failed.

I do want to state for those who review my last application that the answers may not change much below: I am not very interested in handling administrative things, as I feel we have people far better suited for that, and I primarily want to help code-side, but I don't mind learning - and perhaps I might change my stance on that, later. <3

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: Assuming there's no admins who I can refer to for assistance with it, I'd ghost the player, observe, see if they're acting oddly or intentionally acting in a griefing-like manner, and if they appear to be, send an admin PM to try and at least contact them - who knows, they might just not have done it intentionally. I've set the entire science wing on fire before by accident. And accidentally nuked the station with a delam. Point is, we all make mistakes, and what might seem like griefing behavior might be a mistake. I'd still prefer if an admin handled this. I'd also note the issue, what happened, and how it was handled.
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: Assuming no admins able to handle it, I'd politely discuss with them the reasoning behind the ruling/judgement, or in the case of an in-game event, I'd explain how or why it happened the way it did, but be polite. If they're still upset, or aren't understanding, I'd advise taking a few minutes, cooling off, and looking at it again afterwards. Just because someone's in the wrong in how they acted, it doesn't mean they're wrong as a person. We all make mistakes and we're all human, and frankly, sometimes when you're heated and/or upset, you might not be thinking clearly.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: I'd collect as much information as I could, and then reach out to more experienced administration staff and concur with them to see what they think, while also ghosting/observing the players in question, to see if anything develops further. (As well as logging information behind the scenes via VV and other such tools, to pass along to administrative staff.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: As above, rely on the more-skilled members of admin staff for backup. That said, at this point, with everything collected, I'll forward it to the team and allow them to work it out, and make use of the note feature to keep notes on them.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: Observe the player and their behavior, or take all the ahelps in collectively and see if any of them have common complaints. If they do, or if their behavior seems suspicious, I'd contact the player, and again, let them explain their side of the story, and inform them (politely), that there's been several complaints regarding their actions. If it's a miscommunication, or other circumstances, I'd rather not jump right to fingering the banhammer when it's possible to fix an issue by working with them. I've seen things turn out badly before because someone kneejerk made a ruling (And I've literally done it myself. This is something I had to learn to remember.) I'd also note down somewhere that there's been repeated ahelps (in case more come in in the future. Repeated instances of player conflict, while not directly rulebreaking, CAN be an issue.)
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: I'd ask for help from any online admins, but if there's none on, I'd collect as much information as possible - interview each person, make sure they understand that their actions may not have been acceptable, but considering the lack of clear verdict, I'd be hesitant to issue any punishments without deferring to a more-skilled admin's experience. I expect this answer will change in the future as I gain experience, but the safest bet as it stands is to defer to a more experienced admin's judgement, presenting all the information I can gather and relevant logs, including attack logs, etc. As before, taking notes is key.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: As stated on the previous application, I formerly was a moderator for an 800-ish person Discord server, VL (Vore Lovers), and I currently am a head moderator for Transfurs, which at the time of my last app had 230ish members, but now has 432 members, not including bots. I am the 'headmin' so to speak of a small team - it operates pretty much like Virgo's admins do, a headmin team and a team of 'regular' admins, but we call ours Chat Moderators. We have moderation logs, and I've always stressed that notes and 'paperwork' is key. You can handle something in the moment, sure, but if you don't take any notes, it will for-sure bite you in the ass later, as I've learned the hard way.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: As mentioned on my last app:
I can bring mapping experience to the table, a passion and drive to help and improve the server, and a positive attitude!
However, I can safely say I can also bring some .dm experience, and some large ports under my belt, as well as a near-unlimited amount of time to do work as it stands right now (Thanks to COVID). The time factor might change in the future, but I still very much have the drive, positivity, and I hope that with the time between my last app and now that I've improved enough that opinions have changed.

I'd like to thank those of you that gave me feedback on what I was doing wrong and my actions, especially, because I've striven to improve myself - and if I still have issues, don't hesitate to tell me what they are and how I can improve on them. I'm not perfect, not anywhere near perfect, at all. :p

Anymlem, thank you for taking the time to read this! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me here or on Discord.

EDIT: Fixed some formatting!
Last edited by Rykka_Stormheart on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rykka_Stormheart

Re: Rykka_Stormheart - Developer Application V2

Postby lbnesquik » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Strong Support from me. We really could use more maintainers to offload work from our current staff shoulders and Rykka always looked motivated to contribute.
lbnesquik

Postby drexample » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:51 pm

Support from me, even though I'm not really a member of this community, but Rykka's code and ideas are mighty fine in my book. And lots of enthusiasm too.
drexample

Postby Scree » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:38 pm

We've actually.. uh. Removed the "developer" role from the discord. We don't really have a role for it 'cause everyone who contributes to the code or map is a developer.

The formal title we do have for the code side of things is Maintainer, which more accurately describes what it is. Ace made me one of them back in the day for some reason and I have no clue why 'cause I'm not exactly the most code-savvy person on the staff. I'm not even the most competent coder among the admins.

The job of a maintainer is hella boring which is why I shirked it whenever I could - tagging controversial PRs for staff discussion so a decision can be made whether to merge it or not, closing stale issues (though we have a bot for that now) and compiling releases and so on. I dunno if this is actually the job you want. If anything, it's the boring paperwork part of the job that would get in the way of what you like about developing.
Scree

Postby Rykka_Stormheart » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:26 am

Scree wrote:We've actually.. uh. Removed the "developer" role from the discord. We don't really have a role for it 'cause everyone who contributes to the code or map is a developer.

The formal title we do have for the code side of things is Maintainer, which more accurately describes what it is. Ace made me one of them back in the day for some reason and I have no clue why 'cause I'm not exactly the most code-savvy person on the staff. I'm not even the most competent coder among the admins.

The job of a maintainer is hella boring which is why I shirked it whenever I could - tagging controversial PRs for staff discussion so a decision can be made whether to merge it or not, closing stale issues (though we have a bot for that now) and compiling releases and so on. I dunno if this is actually the job you want. If anything, it's the boring paperwork part of the job that would get in the way of what you like about developing.

That is the job I want. I want to assist in maintaining the Github, clearing up PRs and merging the ones that are safe to merge, and working to reduce our turnaround time to something shorter than what it currently is. IMO I enjoy crawling github to help out and I do it a lot. I also want to help in giving feedback on PRs and just in-general assist the server, even if it's the little things like 'boring' paperwork-like work.

I dunno how else to state it but that is 100% my interest. I want to help where I can, however I can, and being a maintainer would allow me to help further by merging mirrors, prepping releases, and doing testmerges when things are ready.
Rykka_Stormheart

Re: Rykka_Stormheart - Developer/Maintainer Application V2

Postby rotago » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:39 am

Rykka is extremely helpful and has added a lot to our community. They have a can do attitude, and if they want to do this work, then I can only say more power to them. If there is anyone in the discord who I would trust with the keys to the github, it'd be Rykka. You have my support.
Only The Bestest!
rotago

Postby Nanaki » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:31 pm

Rykka has gotten a lot better on the code side of things since their last application, and, I feel a lot more confident in Supporting this.
Nanaki

Postby Verkister » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:05 am

You have my support. You've been contributing much more than I have recently and you've got the skill and attitude and an admirable drive to keep the things running. Honestly I feel like you'd make a better github maintenance dev than I have ever been myself and you've got the grasp on the important tools that I haven't even managed to figure out yet heh.
OUCH!
Verkister

Return to Staff Applications