Rykka_Stormheart - Developer Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Rykka_Stormheart - Developer Application

Postby Rykka_Stormheart » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:21 am

BYOND Key: Rykka_Stormheart
Discord ID: Rykka Stormheart#8798
When you are most active (including timezone): Currently 00:00-14:00 MST, will be changing to 16:00-00:00 MST next week (new job has changing schedule)
Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Rykka Stormheart, Nysku, Ryven Dunetail, Suzu, RHI:'x'
How long have you been playing Space Station 13: Two-three months?
How long have you been playing Vorestation: Same as above.
Describe what role-playing means to you: Playing as a character, and in the context of SS13, fitting into the environment. Each person has their own RP standards - I hold mine fairly high, but I also recognize others take it less seriously.
Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: Someone that causes issues, intentionally or unintentionally, or is simply difficult to deal with OOCly. This doesn't mean they don't deserve to play here, not by a long shot - it just means that they have some slight issues that could use improving.
Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A toxic player is someone that is intentionally causing issues, with malicious intent, and and knows their impact on the community - or even if they don't, they know they're being a negative influence.
Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Acting in a manner that's, as the words imply, an abuse of their powers. For instance, spawning in stuff like an infinite power generator rather than faxing for an engineer, etc. It's fairly simple to define admin abuse game-master-wise in my opinion. The other type of admin abuse is more social, such as boosting their friends, or being lenient on friends but harsher on people they don't know, etc. If I make it to dev, I intend to treat everyone equally (assuming I have to make a decision/etc along those lines.)
In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: Overstretched development staff. I've been speaking to Ascian, he's pretty much the *only* person maintaining the git besides occasional updates, and a lack of devs has always been a frequent issue.
How would you have it resolved?: I'd happily assist every bit of my spare time to assisting with the Github PR's, and investing my time to properly learn DM so I can better help out - for now, my primary skill is mapping.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it: Assuming there's no admins who I can refer to for assistance with it, I'd ghost the player, observe, see if they're acting oddly or intentionally acting in a griefing-like manner, and if they appear to be, send an admin PM to try and at least contact them - who knows, they might just not have done it intentionally. I've set the entire science wing on fire before by accident. :p
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it: Assuming no admins able to handle it, I'd politely discuss with them the reasoning behind the ruling/judgement, or in the case of an in-game event, I'd explain how or why it happened the way it did, but be *gentle*. Just because someone's wrong doesn't mean *they're* wrong.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it: I'd collect as much information as I could, and then reach out to more experienced administration staff and concur with them to see what they think, while also ghosting/observing the players in question, to see if anything develops further.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?
    How I'd handle it: Attempt to see if there's any sort of further information I can glean, via logs, or other info, but failing that, my answer would be same as above - defer to a more experienced admin.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it: Observe the player and their behavior, or take all the ahelps in collectively and see if any of them have common complaints. If they do, or if their behavior seems suspicious, I'd contact the player, and again, let them explain their side of the story, and inform them (politely), that there's been several complaints regarding their actions. If it's a miscommunication, or other circumstances, I'd rather not jump right to fingering the banhammer when it's possible to fix an issue by working with them. <3
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it: Honestly, considering my lack of administration experience regarding SS13, I'd ask for help from any online admins, but if there's none on, I'd collect as much information as possible - interview each person, make sure they understand that their actions may *not* have been acceptable, but considering the lack of clear verdict, I'd be hesitant to issue any punishments without deferring to a more-skilled admin's experience. I expect this answer will change in the future as I gain experience, but the safest bet *as it stands* is to defer to a more experienced admin's judgement, presenting all the information I can gather and relevant logs. <3

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?: Uh, so, silly as it sounds, I *was* a moderator for a 6-800ish member server, Vore Lovers, if anyone's heard of it, before stepping down/being removed due to irl issues that affected my actions. I've also ran several smaller gaming servers, and I currently am the head admin for a 230ish person community of transgender individuals, and I head a small admin team.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?: I can bring mapping experience to the table, a passion and drive to help and improve the server, and a positive attitude! I know that it might sound extremely generic, and I know full well that I lack .dm specific experience, but I have a passion to learn, and I at the very least can help Ascian in screening mapping PR's. However, I will *not* accept my own PR's without his/others' input, until I'm more experienced/proven trustworthy. (If that makes sense?)

Anyhow, I fully understand if this is denied due to my lack of dedicated .dm experience, as Ascian warned me it full well might be, but I wanted to submit it to get my name out there, in your guys' minds, and to see where my shortcomings currently are, so that I can address them!

I love this community and I'm willing to put forth the work to improve myself/teach myself... words. I hope you understand what I meant. <3
Rykka_Stormheart

Re: Rykka_Stormheart - Developer Application

Postby VerySoft » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 pm

While I definitely appreciate the things you've been doing to help and improve things here, you tend to get really defensive when people disagree with you in a way that makes me concerned about how you would react if given any actual authority.

No support from me until I see an improvement on that.
VerySoft

Postby Rykka_Stormheart » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:47 pm

VerySoft wrote:While I definitely appreciate the things you've been doing to help and improve things here, you tend to get really defensive when people disagree with you in a way that makes me concerned about how you would react if given any actual authority.

Could you clarify on that? The last major issue I had was with my Xenobiology rework, and I understood that I had gotten defensive and took a bit to gather my thoughts and realize I was perhaps being too hard-headed. That's the only incident that comes to mind of recent, and I've made improvements in myself and my conduct, I feel.
Rykka_Stormheart

Postby VerySoft » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:56 am

Rykka_Stormheart wrote:
VerySoft wrote:While I definitely appreciate the things you've been doing to help and improve things here, you tend to get really defensive when people disagree with you in a way that makes me concerned about how you would react if given any actual authority.

Could you clarify on that? The last major issue I had was with my Xenobiology rework, and I understood that I had gotten defensive and took a bit to gather my thoughts and realize I was perhaps being too hard-headed. That's the only incident that comes to mind of recent, and I've made improvements in myself and my conduct, I feel.

I saw it a few different times, though I hope you'll forgive me, my memory's not the best on dates or names. But indeed, there were a few things about the xenobio update. There's also been a few criticisms of the mining update that have come up here and there that have been pretty legitimate that I've spied that you outright rejected, such as putting the shuttle for mining in space. I want to say there were some criticisms over the design and function of the space mining base, but again, my memory's real bad for details.

Point is, it is my opinion that you do good work, I just do not presently think it's wise for you to be a part of the staff team based on what I've seen.
VerySoft

Postby Rykka_Stormheart » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:44 pm

VerySoft wrote:
Rykka_Stormheart wrote:

I saw it a few different times, though I hope you'll forgive me, my memory's not the best on dates or names. But indeed, there were a few things about the xenobio update. There's also been a few criticisms of the mining update that have come up here and there that have been pretty legitimate that I've spied that you outright rejected, such as putting the shuttle for mining in space. I want to say there were some criticisms over the design and function of the space mining base, but again, my memory's real bad for details.

Point is, it is my opinion that you do good work, I just do not presently think it's wise for you to be a part of the staff team based on what I've seen.

I had good reason to reject moving it to space because while the possibility of mining being moved to space was being discussed, at the time this was being implemented and in the current design of mining, all of their equipment is on Surface, so it fit better to leave it attached to the mining outpost.
Rykka_Stormheart

Postby Scree » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:49 pm

The only thing you need to do to be a developer is develop though, the "developer" role is more accurately a maintainer, which is a lot more than just coding things.
Scree

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 am

I'm glad that you want to step up to the plate of developer but at this moment in time, I do not feel like it would be beneficial for you to be in such a stressful position. Perhaps that will change in the future but for now, I rather make sure you don't have any additional stress placed on you.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis, Chief of Security, Security Officer, Warden.
Mr_Signmeup

Return to Staff Applications