Nepox - (Trial) Admin Application

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy."
― Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"
Forum rules
Don't even bother applying if you've not played here for at least a month. You will be ignored, and will probably be denied in the future for looking like a power hungry twat.

Nepox - (Trial) Admin Application

Postby Nepox » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:05 pm

BYOND Key: Nepox

Discord ID: Nepox#0525

When you are most active (including timezone): Between 14:00 - 23:00 my time, which is UTC - 1 | In EST that means between 07:00 and 16:00

Names of notable characters you play in Vorestation: Annie Rose, Ayla Aurea, Nitro

How long have you been playing Space Station 13: Late 2016

How long have you been playing Vorestation: Early 2017

Describe what role-playing means to you: Roleplaying to me is, as the name suggests, playing a certain role or character and immersing yourself in a fictive world. It is basically cooperative story-telling or book-writing.

Define what a "Problem Player" is in your own words: A player that keeps toeing "the line". Someone that constantly breaks the rules, or gets close to breaking them. A problem player is someone who continues his behaviour over a longer period, and not just a one-time offense. They usually ruin the fun of others, intentionally or unintentionally.

Define a "Toxic Player" in your own words: A toxic player is someone with a constantly negative attitude. They have malicious intentions to insult, blame and ruin someones fun. Usually the word "toxic" describes their lack of manner, as raging heavily and throwing with insulting slurs around. But to me there is more than that, they are usually obnoxious and annoying to deal with and talking to them or interacting with them is usually unpleasant. 

Define "Admin Abuse" in your own words: Admin abuse for me means... well, abusing the powers and rights as an admin for their own benefits or the benefits of their friends while actively or passively hurting the experience of others, or creating an unfair advantage that way.

In your opinion, what the biggest problem with the server right now?: Right now I think its the stagnation of the server. This community existed for so long already. So its understandable that a lot of admins and GM's went on a break to regain their interest. But there are rarely interesting event-lines outside of the usual Spa-Shifts. There is a lack of admins for the european-based timezones (God bless Dragor, you are doing good work) and generally the shifts feel dull and boring, because frankly, they are always the same. There basically is little to do outside of scene'ing. ((Though maybe I am just delusional and that issue is only for me due to my european playtime, which usually nets to ghost-shifts. But that is a whole new issue...))

How would you have it resolved?: Well, one way to resolve this is already being done, by hiring new admins, new fresh-wind in the inner ranks is always good. More plotlines and story arcs that range over multiple shifts would be interesting, or maybe something like TG's "ball day" where we change the map for a whole day to something special. Maybe a beach-day episode of Virgo Season 3.

Also, another thing is already being done which was including new developers. That already helped greatly with keeping the server fresh and updated. So- you could say that its already being resolved.

Go through the following scenarios and state how you would deal with it...
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming an individual is griefing.
    How I'd handle it:
    First of all I will respond to the person that made the admin-help, telling them that I will look into it, to let the person know that there is someone working on their admin-helps. Then I will observe/ghost the suspected player and check the logs. If I find anything suspicious or off-putting, I will, depending on the situation, freeze the suspected player and talk to them first, asking him what they are up to. Its also worth checking when they first joined (If thats even possible.) to see if they are just here to "troll".
  • A player is upset about a scenario, but they are clearly in the wrong.
    How I'd handle it:
    I will pull said player to the side and talk to them in private, disengaging the situation/scenario that way. If they are just in rage I will ask them to calm down first, maybe give them a quick "time-out.". Then I will hear them out, talk to them, trying to find out why exactly they are upset about the scenario. Its important for me to understand everyone's point of view, it wont nullify that they are wrong, but it allows me to help them in a better way. Then I will explain to them that they are in the wrong, and why. If they understand that they are in the wrong, good, if not then maybe a clear cut is required, if they dont WANT to understand it, they wont. Then a clear and direct answer might be the best.
  • When interviewing several individuals, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is.
    How I'd handle it:
    I will go grab the logs and check them. Usually they should tell who did what, and that might already fix the problem.
  • After interviewing several individuals, you have a pretty good idea of who is lying, but still lack concrete, infallible proof. Despite your best efforts, some details remain ambiguous. What now?How I'd handle it:
    I will go and ask the other admins, trying to get their opinion and their point of view. Maybe they know more, or find out more. And ultimately asking them for help. But its no use to point fingers at random and punish them for something that they might not have done. Though, I will keep an eye out for the player, and see if things like that happen again.
  • An individual is playing a character who has sparked several adminhelps regarding said individual, but they are not in any clear violation of the rules.
    How I'd handle it:
    First I will investigate the ahelp to get the information I need, on why the adminhelps have been sent, I will also observe said individual to see what they are doing. Depending on what I find out, I will talk to them. Even if they arent exactly breaking rules, borderlining them and toeing the line is equally punishable. Probably a slap on the wrist at first and a player-note.Its hard to say because it depends on the individual situation.
  • Multiple character deaths have occurred and you are attempting to investigate. One player exhibits poor role-playing skills combined with insulting all those involved, another rushed after trouble started and only used lethal force, and a third went on and attacked several other individuals after the first fight was finished.
    How I'd handle it:
    At first I will try to deescalate the situation and calm everyone down, I will also tell the insulting player to stop it, only this way I can talk to them in a formerly manner. I will try to get a overall-picture of the happenings and use logs to get an idea of what happened. After that I will ask each individual what happened and why they did what they did, to see everyone's point of view. If I see malicious intent or someone actively trying to be a butt, then I will have to swing the hammer! But if it was "just" a situation that escalated on accident, then I will tell the people to try and deal with stuff like this in another way the next time. Like, showing the one player the roleplay guide and explaining to him why this was a bad "move", or explaining to the other one when they should be using lethal forces and when not.

What prior admin/moderator/management experience do you possess, if any?:
None of any matter, sadly. Apart from some older Roleplay servers (Like GTA San Andreas Multiplayer) that I used to moderate. But thats a whole different game so I dont think it matters.

Finally, what unique aspects of yourself can you bring to the staff? What can you bring to the team that is, in your opinion, needed?:
1) I used to work as a uhhh, whatever its called in english. A pedagogue and care-taker for people with physical and mental disabilities. My job was basically to observe and understand. To find the best ways to help and assist someone. That is why I think I can deal with most people and help them, understand them and find possible problems, and maybe the cause of them. I just learned to deal with every kind of personality.

And its also the reason for my helper-syndrom. I just like helping and guiding people. Some might say I seem soft, but I can say that I also have a critical view of things.

2) I am a European. Frankly said, we need European Admins to cover a new time-zone, maybe we can increase the popularity of those shifts that way. I can do that, and due to my weird working schedule that is ever-changing I can also play in US-Timezones too.

3) I am a quite old member of this community now. (Okay, not as old as others, but I consider myself as a long-time player already with 2 years of experience in Virgo). And I just want to see this community grow further and continue to be as good as it is in my eyes. I always said, "Its strange that the community with the weird eating-each-other-fetishists is the nicest and most wholesome community around.", I want to keep it that way.
Nepox

Re: Nepox - (Trial) Admin Application

Postby DrYeehaw » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 am

Its only fair i respond here first of anyone, considering how I mentioned they should run yet again. Annie is about the same age as Duke (if age is based off of time onstation) give or take a couple of weeks, and let me tell you folks that don't know Annie, you're missing out. I remember excitedly telling multiple people when they returned from their hiatus "Annie's back! Annie's back!" and god damn, are they a treat to be with. Legit not only one of the nicest people on virgo, but also one of the most level headed. If there was anyone who could be an unbiased judge that could handle the hectic attitudes and population of this playerbase, it's Nepox. Combined with being from the EU, they're a much needed asset to the team!

Nepox is someone who is incredibly active in the virgo community, incredibly understanding, and a great friend. I'd be a fool not to support such a wonderful blue haired catgirl.
Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."
DrYeehaw

Postby Slingding » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Annie is a real joy to know. Very pleasant, level headed, and talkative. I personally would love to see them on the admin team, as they are involved and interested in taking some ideas, such as that Dark Bar, and integrating them into rounds to add just a bit of something extra. They take it upon themselves to be the change they want to see. While I cant say explicitly how they handle conflicts, I have no doubt that Annie would be able to manage anything that may come to them.

Big support
Slingding

Postby Wumbus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:16 am

I'll keep it short since most of the reasons I was going to list have already been mentioned. I support this app.
Wumbus

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:12 am

HA! "Old" member~ The grizzled ancients laugh from on high~

Still, I've seen you around for ages now. And while I am usually half-asleep by the time I see you, I've nothing to complain about whatsoever.

I particularly like your background in helping people, and agree that we're always needing more people in that region. Poor Reshie and Dragor can't do everything! I give this application a ++highly support!
Demicus_Maximus

Return to Staff Applications