[Host] Redtape - Muslim gimmick AI

Moderator: Game Admins

[Host] Redtape - Muslim gimmick AI

Postby Redtape » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Byond account and character name: Redtape -
Banning admin:Notlisted, banned by host?
Ban type (What are you banned from?):Server ban
Ban reason:Not listed?
Ban length*:Permanent
Approximate time ban was placed (including time zone):Not listed
Your side of the story: I joined a round as an AI named Caliphate AI. I normally enjoy doing AIs with gimmicks, and thought that playing as a Islamic AI would be an interesting one (other notable ones would be my stint as CRUSADER, and LIBERT3R). A friend joined and noticed that I was the AI and decided to join in on it. With someone else reaffirming my joke and enjoying it, it drove me to push the gimmick further and further until it went too far, and instead of being a joke it became something people had the potential to find offensive. I'm sorry if anyone got offended, and felt that while this joke went too far and was wrong. I didn't expect it to go that far in the first place and wish to be unbanned, as I felt my presence on the server isn't usually negative, and this round was an anomaly in my behavior.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I realize that my behavior wasn't acceptable for the server now, I thought at the time it was just a silly joke and didn't expect it to actually upset anyone, nor did I expect my friend to join and push it even further.

Last edited by Aces on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the subject title because it was wrongly formatted, but I did not reject the ban because the format was not specified clearly for your situation.
Redtape

Re: Redtape

Postby Kayleen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:49 am

You have a rrrreally weird definition of "interesting", then.
Kayleen

Postby Redtape » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Kayleen wrote:You have a rrrreally weird definition of "interesting", then.

Yeah, apologies if anyone found it offensive. Didnt' mean to have the joke push too far, it was my bad.
Redtape

Postby Aces » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Yea I think your friend is what ruined it for you. When it appears we have multiple rulebreakers working together, it's more likely to get the lot of them banned together until appeal, because it was more obviously a planned attempt at causing disruption.

The name alone was fine, but the gimmick ceased to be amusing fairly quickly. Avoid religious stereotypes in future. It's extremely hard to play religious characters following real-world religions. I mean, we've HAD Christian, Jewish, Muslim, even Pastafrarian characters as the Chaplain before! But as an AI, or a Cyborg, it didn't make sense. In future, please don't make obviously religious characters unless you intend to be a positive representation of that faith, rather than an effort at mocking it. Things like an AI or Captain or HoS trying to enforce Sharia Law is going to be frowned upon. It's even worse when people like me who've gone to school and studied this stuff know you're not even doing it right, and are just trying to be annoying.

As a few examples:
  • My main character, captain Ace, is actually a Muslim! He will often quote things from the Qur'an where they apply, and gets very upset when he hears about acts of terrorism, because it reminds him of a dark chapter in Islam's history, so he'll react to such tragedies by encouraging the crew to donate humanitarian supplies and the like to victims.
  • An older (now permakilled) character of mine, Chase Monroe, was devoutly Christian to the point where he refused to be scanned for cloning if he was (and eventually he was) killed, and would often bring up God and Jesus if talking about his destiny, or trying to console people.
  • I also have a lawyer character who I really want to make Jewish because I want an excuse to make the station celebrate Hanukkah, but he's kind of an asshole and I feel like it'd reflect poorly on Judaism, so I haven't done that. Plus being a lawyer is a bit stereotypical without any redeeming qualities to him to make up for it.
  • Jarome Rognvaldr follows a totally fictitious religion called Pantheonism.

Religious characters are not disallowed, is my point, but if you're going to do them, do them in such a way that they make sense, and aren't a deliberately bad representation of the ideology being displayed. I'd be just as annoyed if you misrepresented an ideology or ethnicity that doesn't involve religion. Political, national, racial, you name it. If you can't look at something and find the positive qualities within it, you probably haven't looked at it hard enough, and you probably shouldn't try doing them as a character.

Anyway I think I've drilled my point enough. I'm not so much rambling for you, because you clearly understand what you did wrong. I'm just rambling for the person who reads this in the future wondering what was going through my mind when I said appeal accepted. If there's additional problems with the ban, let me know.
Aces

Return to Approved