[Demicus_Maximus] Verminlord - Discord Ban

Moderator: Game Admins

[Demicus_Maximus] Verminlord - Discord Ban

Postby Verminlord » Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 pm

Byond account and character name:Bluewolf128. No character was involved.

Discord ID (if applicable): I am not comfortable providing that over a public forum. If an admin desires it however, I am willing to PM it them.

Banning admin: Demicus Maximus

Ban type (What are you banned from?): Discord, though it was described as the 'Virgo Community' so that may also fall under the umbrella of the server itself.

Ban reason given: Technically none but likely due to a rule six or rule eight violation.

Ban length: Permanent/Indefinite

Approximate date that the ban was placed (including time zone): 2021-5-21. BST

Your side of the story: I became invested with the IC success of a character within the Micro Hide & Seek event which was held on the date of incident. Upon discovering they had 'lost', I became rather upset and began spewing hurtful messages toward the people involved in the specific lose inducing scene -- including accusations of worthlessness.

This naturally led to a collection of ahelps, which in turn led to a twenty-four hour ban. This ban is completely justified and I am not appealing it. However it lays the foundation of what happens next.
In a fit of pique I send a Discord message to one of the individuals involved in the aforementioned scene, calling them out for ahelping in an insulting way. I am then contacted by Demicus Maximus in Discord DMs and told I am 'removed from the community' until I appeal -- a screencap of the offending incident provided in the DM itself.

Why you think you should be unbanned: This entire affair has been a wakeup call that my outlook is harmful to others whom deserve none of the misery I've placed upon them. There was no need for any of this to happen and the ugliness of this whole affair wasn't even related to interactions involving my own characters. I feel my contributions and interactions to both server and Discord have been positive ones, but cannot excuse toxicity which has leaked out today.

Thus going forward with this metaphorical splash in the face applied, I'd ask that I be given another chance with foreknowledge that my actions are not only been harmful without justification but also rightfully not tolerated. I will strive to remove myself from interaction which can bring about this toxicity in the future.

Additionally, whilst ban appeals are not a place to bargain, I am willing to show steps of improvement or bare a certain wait to be readmitted into the community. I appreciate this is an immensely fresh appeal, however I found myself compelled to act now rather than later.

Also just in case it was missed, I am not contesting the initial ban which led to this, as I feel it's an appropriate response. It is also why I don't know if I am banned from the server or not.
Verminlord

Re: [Demicus_Maximus] Verminlord - Discord Ban

Postby Scree » Sat May 15, 2021 7:26 pm

I only saw the message itself, which was bad enough.
If anything the context, that you were mad at them for "losing" in a video game, makes it worse.
Going on to harass people in private for bringing issues to our attention is an absolute hard line that we will not tolerate.
Scree

Postby Verminlord » Sat May 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Scree wrote:I only saw the message itself, which was bad enough.
If anything the context, that you were mad at them for "losing" in a video game, makes it worse.
Going on to harass people in private for bringing issues to our attention is an absolute hard line that we will not tolerate.

Absolutely understandable. I was already in the wrong and even if in a moment of emotion it was extremely nasty to continue continue to harass someone in DMs like that. Given how my actions applied myself would make me extremely upset, I deeply regret acting that way to someone else.

Also, to note the banning admin was Pontifex Maximus, not Demicus. I got the names mixed.
Verminlord

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Sat May 15, 2021 7:33 pm

I neither contacted you nor banned you. That was two other headmins.

Also, calling out people for contacting us is something we take very seriously.

Finally, the entire situation could have been solved with a simple apology. The admin version of a speeding ticket. Instead you threw the ticket back and drove off the bridge into the canyon.
Demicus_Maximus

Postby Verminlord » Sat May 15, 2021 7:53 pm

I promise not to intentionally harass someone over an ahelp again. The fact that such an outcome occurred as a result of my garbage outlook over 'winning/losing' escalating is also all the more reason to question that outlook itself as well.
Verminlord

Postby VerySoft » Sat May 15, 2021 8:34 pm

I am glad that you have taken this to heart. When I initially saw the LOOC that you made, my initial reaction was 'oop, that's a dayban' but I figured I should try to get your side of the story and see if I couldn't make you understand that no one was laughing at the joke.

an 'Aw shit I didn't realize it sounded that way.' or something similar is all I was looking for with regards to contacting you about it. You doubled down though, and then further, went to harass one of the people who contacted us over the issue, which, as I'm sure you know, is totally unacceptable.

Now I'm willing to work with you and believe that you learned a lesson and such, but I need you to understand that, you turned a wrist slap situation into, if this kind of thing ever happens again, you're out.

And, even still, a day ban's not gonna cut it for this. I'm gonna want you to sit out for a week. Make sure you cool yourself, deal with your demons, show me you can do better, yeah?
VerySoft

Postby Verminlord » Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 am

I can and will do better. The initial day ban turning into a week ban is perfectly reasonable considering the additional escalation which followed it. I do also apologize for the nastiness I inflicted upon individuals whom did nothing to deserve it.
Verminlord

Return to Approved