[Natje] drainquake - Server

Moderator: Game Admins

[Natje] drainquake - Server

Postby d.winters99 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:06 pm

Byond account and character name: drainquake, various
Discord ID (if applicable): dwinters99#4343
Banning admin: Natje
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Server ban
Ban reason given: [Science] Ruqayyah Tawfiq says, "I am going to assume that Verie is not the one holding you up, because someone like that would never shirk their job and responsibilities and actually actively harm the productivity of the entire department and by extension the entire station." The people in question were scening, four hours into a shift, and he proceeded to say that and then build a timeclock next to the people scening because he apparently wanted to make use of xenobotany, instead of just- you know, asking them to move. Has apparently pulled that Timeclock bullshit before. Actually asked why their fun was more important than his, as if his enjoyment is more important than multiple other people. This is the final nail in the coffin. - This is a permanent ban.
Ban length: Permanent
Approximate date that the ban was placed (including time zone): 11/08/2020 (9AMish, GMT-5)
Your side of the story: What is written in the ban reason is mostly accurate except for two parts. Personal conversation with Natje seemed to show that I had acknowledged such a thing happening after it was told of in the discord. Though I don't recall this, I have no reason to doubt or disagree with Natje. Secondly, "Actually asked why their fun was more important than his, as if his enjoyment is more important than multiple other people." was a misunderstanding because I failed to properly communicate what I was meaning to say, specifically in reference to something unrelated that I conflated with a more relevant statement.
Why you think you should be unbanned: So it's pretty obvious that I screwed up. Like, colossally, no debate. I did a shitty bad thing and I made it worse by being an asshole. Life, right? It's been just about three months now and I'm hoping I didn't fuck up TOO bad that it hasn't been long enough. I've been playing elsewhere intermittently during my ban and I do have a couple of people who can speak to my improvement if my supplication isn't enough to get people to trust me again. I got a copy of my notes and it took reading them to realize what a fool I've made of myself and as such I've spent some time reflecting. I still worry if I haven't given my dues but at the very least I want a chance to try again, hopefully this time with less fuck-ups.
d.winters99

Re: [Natje] drainquake - Server

Postby Natje » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:48 am

A lot of time has passed. It was a confusing bloody situation and I'm sure I got some details wrong in the ban message. For that, I'm sorry.

Anyway, I find myself completely neutral on this matter. Therefore, I'm opening the appeal for public opinions to gauge... well. Public opinions.

Keep the responses civil.
Natje

Postby Curtisimo5 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:37 pm

A strong negative from me. I do not think this player should be allowed on the server.

They're a very LRP kind of person, shouting about his valids and such IC- while also constantly complaining about how nobody RPs as hard as them and condescending to others, both in the discord and outside of it.
Additionally, I just think they're a real asshole. They tend to ruin the mood of whatever they inject themselves into. Strong, strong negative.
Curtisimo5

Postby LiquidFirefly » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:05 pm

Curtisimo5 wrote:A strong negative from me. I do not think this player should be allowed on the server.

They're a very LRP kind of person, shouting about his valids and such IC- while also constantly complaining about how nobody RPs as hard as them and condescending to others, both in the discord and outside of it.
Additionally, I just think they're a real asshole. They tend to ruin the mood of whatever they inject themselves into. Strong, strong negative.

Seconded.
I gremlin
LiquidFirefly

Postby Iroquois Pliskin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 am

Between the ridiculous spats I got into with you when you played Sec and the annoyance you caused me as Pathfinder I'm already not a fan of your characters. To have heard that you tried to bully someone into completing a task that you could have easily done yourself or asked another character to do isn't helping. Honestly though of all the things I dislike, the worst was how you seemed to have little to no difference in how you acted IC and OOC. Other players in this thread have already touched on it, but for me the worst of my encounters with you were your casual discussion of gore in the discord lobby. It took multiple complaints to quiet that stuff down.

The stand-out event in my mind though? One time I made a coilgun for Explo with the only conditions that it not get used on crew or for criminal activities and I later found out you used it to try and execute(?) one of your own explorers (What the fuck man).

Overall a hard no thanks.
Todo: Not fuck up.
Iroquois Pliskin

Postby pastelprincedan » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:34 am

I'm going to preface this by saying I have no idea how Drainquake played on Virgo, as I started playing here after he was banned.

I am, however, here to vouch for him. I'm an admin on Citadel, the RP server specifically, where he's played for a bit. During his time with us, Donald has played Exploration, which I understand was a bit of an issue on Virgo, with no problems arising, as well as other rather important roles such as Quartermaster and Engineer - again, with no problems.

I saw something about him being LRP on Virgo in the past, which hasn't been an issue on CitRP, even on explorations which, let's be honest, can be a rather LRP-fest at times.

In his time on our server, no incidents of note have happened involving Drainquake, he's received no notes at all, all that.

Overall, this is to say Drainquake seems to have improved from whatever he did when playing on your server, and I can vouch for that from mine. Consider this my support for this appeal.
pastelprincedan

Postby bkel » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:53 am

Winters has done some extremely stupid shit over their few-month presence on the server, I won't disagree.
But considering I've been talking with them on a near-daily basis for a good while now, I can atleast attest and vouch that this appeal is atleast genuine. I've seen them play on CitRP, and there wasn't much to complain about whilst he was around.
He's definetly improved, both behaviour and attitude wise-- I think he deserves a second chance.
Support.
bkel

Postby Kenzie » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 am

neutral, i do want you to come back but only if you have actually changed and are not going to promptly shoot yourself in the foot by doing dumb stuff again. it's not like your dumb stuff was a one-off.
Kenzie

Postby Haery70 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:49 pm

I sat on this for a while when the call for it being public came up because I wasn't sure if my thoughts here would matter. I'm not surprised that this is what got you banned considering how you like to go off on how nobody roleplays on here unless if it leads to a scene on the public Discord server. Gonna have to be on the no camp for this one for the previously mentioned statement combined with what the rest of the no camp here has mentioned along with the constant metagaming, particularly on expeditions, and defending your reasons on why it's ok to do so. To add to it during a discussion regarding players getting into expeditions and events you've tried to demand players who have shown disgust towards one of your characters to tell you who they play as because you wanted to 'avoid players who metagrudge you' (as if anybody would tell you who they play as after that remark) when that was never the case and it sounded more like you're the one holding metagrudges there.

While I do place trust in the Citadel admins that you have changed I feel like that this isn't the server that suits you best as your expectations in roleplay don't seem to follow the general playerbase here, even if your assumptions are true. The tl;dr is: My memories of you on both the main server and the Discord server aren't good combined with the others' accounts, so I'm, gonna have to stick to no support on this one.
Haery70

Postby runadacino » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:07 am

I found myself debating whether to comment or not for a while. After all, I've the tendency where I take a single bad experience and come to expect it to repeat. However, from others' commentary it seems to be not the case.

One thing that really did fire up my "Bad experience" worries was when I realized that regardless of which character of yours you were playing - be it your PF, HoP or RD - you espoused the same opinions ICly. This made me wonder - are the criticisms you levy at others through your characters strictly IC, or are they an OOC grudge too? I've ended up asking the same question about people you often spent time with during said criticisms, but this thread is not about them.

Many players play multiple characters that know each other. However, I have not seen examples of people who 1:1 repeat the same spiels and opinions on 3 very different characters with very different backgrounds about the very same thing until my experiences with you. 3 separate characters, all 3 of them whining about "science not doing their jobs", all 3 of them complaining about gravitons. All 3 of them targeting the same person or persons.

Made me go from "Ah, just some harmless IC conflict" to "Welp, I guess people are badmouthing me OOCly for daring to prefer to use verbal diagnostics and trying to make my robot repairs into something that sparks roleplay rather than just spamming mechanics in 5 seconds to do X." I still distinctly remember you in #space-lobby accusing me of body-blocking the science hallway because.... I was RPing out diagnostics with a borg who came in for repairs and enjoys RP around repairs. Like yes, I do get into scenes in science-hallway sometimes (the horror!) but this one's timing and phrasing explicitly points towards the time I was doing repair/diagnostics RP (you know, doing my job!) with a sci-borg and couldn't jump immediately to do whatever random thing you or your friend required.

Maybe I overreact, but the combination of seeing genuine #space-lobby badmouthing for preferring to do my job through a mixture of mechanics and RP, multiple characters sharing the same opinions (to the point I can't help but wonder if the ban-reason scenario was intentionally logging in as RD when someone you dislike was playing in science so you could harrass them), and general discord commentary and behaviour (although here I might be mixing you up with another person you spend time with and share opinions with) made me quite worried about doing anything for fear of someone proceeding to cry out on [common] about how dare science do X.

Unless there's a strong promise that the judgemental behaviour that is highly suspect of badmouthing others for enjoying things differently than you do is fixed - I vote no.

(and I'll add: people who are making an effort to RP out their job rather than press a few buttons are doing their jobs as well, so please for the love of whatever, stop attacking people for "not doing their jobs" as science while they're... A) doing a roleplay diagnostic as a roboticist, B) going out on a dig and RPing it out rather than speedrunning anomalies)
runadacino

Next

Return to Approved