Moderator: Game Admins

[Sqrl, Maybe?] HzDonut - Discord Ban Over A Small Fight

Postby HzDonut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:26 am

Byond account and character name: HzDonut, variety of characters
Banning admin:Sqrl, I assume.
Ban type (What are you banned from?): The Discord
Ban reason:Fighting/being belligerent
Ban length:Permanently until appealed
Approximate time ban was placed (including time zone):No idea, I got smashed, but the best guess I can give is 7 or 8PM EST
Your side of the story:After being constantly harassed by folk in the discord over my stay here, I recently blew up after bottling a lot of incidents up. After that explosion, I've finally started getting snappy back at people who do the same stuff as before with passive-aggressive remarks and the like. Got into an argument with someone in the development channel, left the argument just to see an admin ping, knew full well I was going to get a ban at that point after past negative experiences with the admin staff, and since I was already drunk enough to not think properly I logic'd out 'WELL I'M GOING TO BE BANNED ANYWAYS, MIGHT AS WELL HAVE A LAUGH ABOUT IT' and surprise surprise I got banned permanently...when most other people just get a temporary ban to calm down and cool off. Also no admin even messaged me to tell me the length of my ban, or give a ban reason, I had to ask around to get any information.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I was drunk and the fight was already over before admins even showed up and made things worse. I don't even talk to that person and had no intention of continuing to talk to them after I left the development channel to talk in the space-lobby. I even kept playing the game just fine until I started getting too drunk and started having trouble typing and doing anything at which point I left the game.
HzDonut

Re: [Scree] HzDonut - Discord Ban Over A Small Fight

Postby JoanRisu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:41 pm

For the record, I didn't apply the ban, that was Scree so it's more his duty to review this than my own. Perma discord ban wasn't on the agenda on my end, it was supposed to be five to ten minutes of cooldown time away from the Dev channel.

In retrospect, I should have told you that timer and I should have advised you to stay calm and just wait it out because at least then you'd have known about the mute length and be more responsible with what you say. That said, if this ever happens again, I rather you just vent to me in my DMs instead of in the Space Lobby. There's a reason Ace made the staff open their DMs on Discord this past year and you're better off doing that instead of venting in a public channel where you're open to Global Rule 6 and 8.

Just so Scree knows, I'm fine with this being lifted.
JoanRisu

Re: [Sqrl, Maybe?] HzDonut - Discord Ban Over A Small Fight

Postby Scree » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

The discord ban wasn't for being belligerent in dev channel, it was for continuing after everyone else wanted to end it and you kept going anyway.
You were told to stop, you kept going. You were warned, you kept going. So you got a 10-minute timeout from one channel.

So what do you do? Do you reflect and think "maybe now is the time that I should stop digging?"
Apparently not. Because, in direct breach of Global Rule 8, you decided to stir up drama in the space-lobby channel instead. With gems like the following:
: [12:21 AM] Jesse: But oh no that doesn't matter because i ended up HURTING FEELINGS
[12:23 AM] Jesse: But oh woops i hurt emotions
[12:23 AM] Jesse: Oh gosh, i'm so sorry.

Now, call me cynical, but those don't exactly strike me as the words of someone who intends to actually learn anything from getting a slap on the wrist. A sarcastic "well, sorrrEEEEEE" doesn't exactly convince me that you're going to stop being an ass.

I don't even talk to that person and had no intention of continuing to talk to them after I left the development channel to talk in the space-lobby.

Going to stir shit in space-lobby is exactly the reason you were banned. The fact that you stopped talking in dev after being muted from dev isn't really relevant.

What's more, after getting kicked out of the discord, you took your passive aggressive sniping to the github. That is why I didn't set a timer on this ban, because I don't want this bullshit to just stop for 24 hours or whatever. I want it to stop. Period. This isn't even a case of being unfair that we didn't issue a tempban first to cool off, because we did issue a temporary channel mute and you just kept going. First in space lobby, then in github, and I have no idea how many people you gave your sob story to in PMs.

So far, you've not shown any indication that you see anything wrong with what you did, which means I can't trust you not to keep doing it.
Scree

Postby HzDonut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Scree wrote:The discord ban wasn't for being belligerent in dev channel, it was for continuing after everyone else wanted to end it and you kept going anyway.
You were told to stop, you kept going. You were warned, you kept going. So you got a 10-minute timeout from one channel.

So what do you do? Do you reflect and think "maybe now is the time that I should stop digging?"
Apparently not. Because, in direct breach of Global Rule 8, you decided to stir up drama in the space-lobby channel instead. With gems like the following:
: [12:21 AM] Jesse: But oh no that doesn't matter because i ended up HURTING FEELINGS
[12:23 AM] Jesse: But oh woops i hurt emotions
[12:23 AM] Jesse: Oh gosh, i'm so sorry.

Now, call me cynical, but those don't exactly strike me as the words of someone who intends to actually learn anything from getting a slap on the wrist. A sarcastic "well, sorrrEEEEEE" doesn't exactly convince me that you're going to stop being an ass.

I don't even talk to that person and had no intention of continuing to talk to them after I left the development channel to talk in the space-lobby.

Going to stir shit in space-lobby is exactly the reason you were banned. The fact that you stopped talking in dev after being muted from dev isn't really relevant.

What's more, after getting kicked out of the discord, you took your passive aggressive sniping to the github. That is why I didn't set a timer on this ban, because I don't want this bullshit to just stop for 24 hours or whatever. I want it to stop. Period. This isn't even a case of being unfair that we didn't issue a tempban first to cool off, because we did issue a temporary channel mute and you just kept going. First in space lobby, then in github, and I have no idea how many people you gave your sob story to in PMs.

So far, you've not shown any indication that you see anything wrong with what you did, which means I can't trust you not to keep doing it.

For pete's sake I was drunk. I'm sober now and yeah I was an idiot, I'm even laying off the booze more after that. I'm fine now, I'll just block anyone who tries to stir shit up again. I hate drama just as much as everyone else and wish I didn't have to see it so damn much.
HzDonut

Postby JoanRisu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Just to clarify my own post and take away from this, yes I fucked up not doing proper notification but call me out properly on it through DMs with either me or another admin.
JoanRisu

Postby HzDonut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:23 pm

To be honest I'm not very comfortable talking to any of the admins, but I'll be sure to just not go off on a tangent in the discord. I didn't know it was a rule, but I definitely knew it's just an assholish thing to do anyways. I do try to not act like that, but I slip up sometimes, I'm only human after all.
HzDonut

Postby Seiga » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:27 pm

There's some issues in your behaviour that have a worrying pattern of getting worse instead of better. This is mostly based on a third person view, one outside of the sides taken in any given argument you may be involved in, purely looking at how and what is said by who. That's my main concern over all else. Please, please try to avoid escalating things when conflict arises. It's hard, and oftentimes it feels like other people are egging you on and you're not at fault, but you have to try. I have similar issues myself, and it's a little un-intuitive because you have to second guess your gut feelings when it comes to conflict, the feelings that people are out to get you or the like. I'm sorry that this isn't very helpful in a discreet and direct way, but the tl;dr is that you really need to chill out a little. Pls.
Seiga

Postby HzDonut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Hell, I doubt you'll even see me talking much outside of #wiki or #development, I don't want back in for the social stuff, I want back in to keep doing the work I was doing. Not having access to those channels is a serious hindrance/annoyance.
HzDonut

Postby HzDonut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:30 pm

and like I've said, I've just been drinking a lot over the last few days which is why I've been such an aggressive asshole, I'm cutting back on it a lot, no more binge drinking and snapping at people in the chat.
HzDonut

Postby HzDonut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:38 pm

In summary:

I've been having a rough patch and drinking my sorrows away, but it just so happens that I'm one of those angry drunks. I'd drink then come on the discord and make big issues out of small things and just be belligerent as hell to everybody and ignore requests to stop. Now that I'm sober, I've looked back on it, went 'wow holy shit I was an obnoxious asshole', and now I've stowed the bottle away because I don't want to act like that anymore. I'm fine now and I'll just be the same me I've been before all this unnecessary drama, albeit a lot less talkative. I just want back in so I can keep working on the wiki and communicating with the others who are doing the same, I doubt you'll even see me talking in space-lobby often. Plus I have someone who will gladly smack me upside the head if I do get drunk and start rambling again, which I doubt will happen anyway due to how embarrassed I am already.
HzDonut

Next

Return to Approved