Mewchild - Rule 6 Community Ban

Moderator: Game Admins

Mewchild - Rule 6 Community Ban

Postby Mewchild » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Byond account and character name: Mewchild - Phi Vietsi, Ciphrom Markov
Discord ID (if applicable): Apos#8640
Banning admin: PontifexMinimus
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Permanent Ban from Discord and Server
Ban reason given: Repeated hostile and aggressive OOC behavior to the point where you are not welcome in the community. Constant attacks on other people as soon as they do something not going your way. This trend has continued for a while now and I have frankly enough. So, if you feel like you can change this, do appeal and show betterment.
Ban length: Permanent
Approximate time ban was placed (including time zone): Saturday, 21 September 2019
Previous Appeal: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1591
Your side of the story: I spoke with Dragor a short bit about this, just enough to get clarification on the ban itself, and one of the things he stated was: "The way you treat people when they're not of your opinion is very hostile, we constantly get complaints about this and I am sure we already talked about this and Scree and me had enough."
The ban reason is absolutely spot on accurate, I was an asshole, and have been being an asshole for long enough to garner negative attention from the staff team, and from other members of the community. There really isn't a "My side of the story" as it's summed up perfectly in the ban reason itself.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I can't offer much by way of reasoning, other than the fact that I'm going to do better. Being removed from the community happened out of left field, I was at work while it happened, and it felt like there was a pit in my stomach, once I confirmed that I was banned, via Nepox. I've been a dick for a long while, and being removed for it, being smacked down like this has made me keenly aware of the fact that something has to change- and it sure as hell isn't going to be the community. I need to adjust to fit it, not the other way around. This has been my main online space for the better part of two years now, and it deserves more respect than I've been giving it. I've taken a few months since my previous appeal, and the topic has come up in conversation a fair bit with others from the server. I've thought about how I'd been acting in the last few months of me on the server, and all I can offer is that I said above- that I'll do better.
Other information: My notes were provided by Demicus in the previous appeal, so I'll repost them here to keep everything condensed, along with my responses to some of them from later in the thread.
Told to chill when it comes to command/sec stuff. He attempted to demote the CMO while they were giving medical treatment. After the incident, Phi admitted that he was in the wrong.

Borderline self-antag: Keeps within the letter of IC law while still acting and perpetuating hostility. Character Phi is also toeing the line with suspension of disbelief: Uses minor charges and escalates violence, even towards heads of staff. This is repeat behavior and they were spoken to just one day prior. When the entire crew save for one or two exceptions is out for no-holds barred, admins-be-damned heads on a pike... Something is clearly wrong. They're being removed from Security roles for three days to clear their head and decide: Why they want to play Security; What can they do to keep the game enjoyable while still doing the role

I effectively quit playing security and command in their entirety following the above two incidents. That particular incident was a good wake up call that I probably wasn't right for the role, a sentiment shared by a number of people after the fact. 20/20 hindsight and whatnot, but I did take steps to move to a less conflict prone role.
After being told by Kisuke to NOT call out Leigh out in global OOC for "killing people", they immediately switched to the radio and say the exact same thing in ((brackets)). Bro. Just. BRO. Are you beings of serious, comrade?

For context on the incident with Leigh, it wasn't me going after them. There was no spite or malice, and they hadn't literally killed anyone. The comment was made in response to banter over the general comms. As far as Chitin goes, I realized a while back that I'd been having a large number of negative interactions with him, and made an effort to avoid him. As far as I know, Leigh and myself have no ill-feelings towards one another, the last negative interaction I recall with her being where she ended up getting me killed due to xenoarch shenanigans. Still, no excuse for how I popped off to Kisuke. This incident was, in and of itself, deserving of a ban.
Sk1tz (as Iekin) challenged Apos (as Ciphrom) to a thunderdome duel. In response, Ciphrom charged pulled out their machete and charged at Iekin, resulting in them being disarmed of the machete and having it 'confiscated' and hidden away. A few minutes later, Ciphrom returned with a bat and proceeded to attack Iekin, resulting in Iekin reacting by attempting to disarm Ciphrom again, this time failing and being given severe injury that resulted in death. It was resolved ICly as Ciphrom was charged with manslaughter.

Miners requested spice and got it, and phi - as an ENGINEER with absolutely no need to get involved, started bitching in LOOC about the spice unrelated people got because it "involved people". When told to take his complaints about invents to the admins, he just logged off instead.

And the incident that led to the ban itself:
9:30 PM] Apos: Rykka, I'm going to be real with you
[9:30 PM] Apos: And I'm also going to be rude as fuck.
[9:30 PM] Apos: You need to get the fuck over it
[9:30 PM] Apos: Because you've been doing nothing bit bitch, moan, and complain about the changes being made to the xenobio lab since they started. Even when feedback was given, and you ignored it
[9:31 PM] Apos: Grow a fucking spine, and move on.

In regards to the ninja edits, as well, I'd openly stated a number of times during the development and building process of the new Xenobio the main change I would be making, namely removing the SMES unit and returning Xenobio to the research subgrid. Rykka herself gave input on it as I was working on the changes, and it only ended up being such a big change due to other mappers requesting I make other changes, as I was only working on it. This was no way, in no form, a spiteful "Fuck you" to Rykka, she'd openly known that the change was going to be made, even before the PR was merged. My attitude towards her after the fact was completely inexcusable; I was exasperated and more that a little angry due to how the changes had been handled, from DMing me directly, Pinging both myself and Ascian in Dev chat, and all but begging that the PR not be merged. This doesn't excuse my harshness towards her in regards to it, but it should give context for why I reacted the way I did.
Mewchild

Re: Mewchild - Rule 6 Community Ban

Postby Nanaki » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:32 pm

I have had no interaction with Phi since he was removed, so, my original statement is mostly the same. Dragor has asked me to weigh in this.

As Security, Phi has always been rather strict, a stubborn streak of sorts. While this is good and well in some situations, especially in the situations that deserve it, it usually is paired with a bit of inflexibility that resulted in some tense encounters with crew. Basically, when Security is in the right, this behavior is an asset. However, when Security is in the wrong, it is more of a liability. Although, when Phi's time in Security declined rapidly in his last month or so before the secban, timezone differences have largely prevented me from interacting with him much, so, I cannot get a full gauge on what changed about him during that time.

However, in my opinion, since Phi has not been back to Security since his secban, I would say Phi's IC actions in security is a bit less relevant.

After the fact, while Phi had improved his behavior, there have been times where he seemed to... for lack of better words... lash out in OOC. I feel like in most of these cases, from what I have seen, have been a strong sense of wanting to do what is right for the community, resulting in flared tempers if he feels that someone is doing something detrimental for that community. Unfortunately, I feel that while Phi means well, the lashing out ended up doing more harm than good. My personal recommendation for Phi, is that he should stop trying to fight battles and wars. if he feels that someone is in the wrong in a situation, calmly letting the other party know without anger tends to go far. If that does not work, than it probably is best to get an admin involved. That is what the admins duties are.

As a bit of an addendum, my biggest concern overall will be rekindled metagrudges with current community members. Azura, Leigh, and Cafaling being examples I remember off hand. However, considering that Apos and Heroman have managed to mend their differences, and a substantial amount of time has passed since the original ban, those fires have hopefully died down and the bridges can be rebuilt anew. Or, at the very least, there will not be any outbreak of outright antagonism.

I Support you coming back, but Not in Sec or Command Roles. At least until a bit more time has passed.
Nanaki

Postby Mewchild » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:55 pm

I had no intention of playing security or command. I'd given up those roles before the ban took place.
Mewchild

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:13 pm

I agree with Ascian's statement in the fact that we should look into easing you back into the community by role restriction. IE; engineering/cargo - mining/medical.

Support. With the conditions outlined above.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis: Chief of Security
Mr_Signmeup

Postby DrYeehaw » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Remembering the interactions I had with Phi, I'd be supportive of one more chance, as long as it doesn't concern sec or even the slightest bit of command or leadership, even Pathfinder and QM.
Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."
DrYeehaw

Postby Aces » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:26 pm

A couple people have felt it necessary to comment privately on this ban appeal, which is not allowed because it's not written or recorded here in the open for a fair response or public support.

Therefore I am opening this to community input so those who have spoken up may reiterate for all of us to actually see. If they don't, then their opinions are to be ignored.
Aces

Postby Thranos » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Gonna be real here, this appeal is literally your old appeal, two short lines of added text, and all the replies from your old appeal bundled together.
That in itself is a little ehhhhh, considering your whole appeal hinges on "I've changed" and "I'll do better", but your appeal itself hasn't and isn't.
I get that the ban reason and other details aren't going to change, but if you've (as claimed) "thought about how you'd been acting" and plan to "do better", don't you think that warrants more than two short lines?
Maybe a little XYZ of how and why you dropped the ball, so as to show that you've reflected and understand what you did to earn this ban? At all?

That being said-
For the sum of like, two years, I watched you powertrip wildly, attempting to strong-arm people into agreeing with you or rabble rouse and rumor-mill to make them quiet or even leave if they didn't.
You were, in easily two out of five of every posts, patronizing, condescending, cliquey and elitist. People resented you. A lot. And, I think, many still do.

Such as me.
No support, with a suggestion of charban of Phi Vietsi, and/or a full command, sec, and exploration ban if the ban is to be lifted.
Thranos

Postby chaoko99 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:13 pm

So I don't like touching issues I have any real involvement with when I like both sides. I know that there's definitely bad blood between a few people, but I also have never had any trouble with Mew or Phi. I am in mild support, with the assumption of a command/security ban.
chaoko99

Postby Heroman3003 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:40 am

I have stated somewhat similar thing in last appeal thread, and will still say that I do believe that Mewchild definitively can improve and act better, and has actively been striving for it. As well as the fact that this ban is the true wake-up call needed for it to properly take root. I am still lending definitive support to this appeal, although with assumption that sec, expedition and command roles remain restricted. While I do want believe that over time even the issues related to those can be worked out and smoothed away, its still a 'too soon' regardless of anyone's opinion, considering how much has happened with you in those roles.
Heroman3003

Postby R1f73r » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:22 am

I remember when I was still new to the server, a chemist, on about my third day or so of playing chemist, there was someone dying outside of the station at the surface level. I had played and learned just enough to know what chems to take, how to defib on this server, and give medical treatment. I heard about it, got my gear together, and was trying to make my way to the surface level via elevator, not even knowing about the function to put it in the emergency mode. I made my way down, and asked a simple question I didn't know the answer to in this time of duress. "Where is Surface EVA?"

I had never had any reason to go to surface EVA, as I had spent almost the entirety of my time playing chemist. You, and someone else had done nothing but berate me the entire time that I was trying to find it, asking over comms where it was. The person had died, resulting in me feeling even worse that I had failed, just to be met with you berating me even more alongside the other person. I did resleeve them, and sent them on their way, but I almost quit Vorestation because of that, it was a brutal beatdown of words I just didn't deserve, especially when a day prior you had threatened to jail me for trying to learn how to resleeve by standing in on a resleeving process, calling it disrespect to the dead.

I remember this, and have remembered it for quite a while, because that wasn't the kind of community I wanted to be apart of. It took some people reaching out to me and showing me that the server is a great place with kind people, to not give up. I know you've improved a bit, but I have seen this condescending tone be persistent in what you do, not just here, but on other servers as well. I see what you've posted, and I just don't see that you've improved in the year or longer that I've known you. I cannot, in good faith or conscience, support you coming back, not as Phi Vietsi. I've seen you on other characters not nearly be as much of jerk, but the tone still remained the same. Condescending.

No Support
R1f73r

Next

Return to Denied