[DemicusMaximus] cafaling - Discord and Server ban

Moderator: Game Admins

[DemicusMaximus] cafaling - Discord and Server ban

Postby Iroquois Pliskin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:25 pm

Byond account and character name: cafaling/Cheri Rifler
Discord ID: Balding Steven#1548
Banning admin: DemicusMaximus
Ban type: Discord and Server
Ban reason given: Continued failure to comply with global rules 5 and 6, regarding constantly causing trouble, a disregard for other players, and continuing to bring private/IC matters into public. This most recent incident appearing to be an attempt to get another player in trouble with the admins for their actions, rather than deal with the consequences of playing the game in an excessively antagonistic fashion. Furthermore, they were caught lying to the admin staff in a public rant on the main Discord channel. Additionally, this incident comes mere days after being banned for meta-grudging, indicating that they do not intend to change this behavior.
Ban length: Permanent
Approximate time ban was placed: June 1st, 2019 - 2 AM
Your side of the story:

To begin with, I wasn't lying to an admin about what occurred in the round. I was giving the limited information I had, with the completely bizarre (in my eyes) situation having just occurred.

The round was pretty much over, and Cheri was hanging out with one of the engineers she had worked with for the shift, and as they passed by the Sec Checkpoint, the turrets started shooting directly at her. Looking at the logs, Demicus does announce that the turrets are always on, but that they only target people set to arrest. I didn't consider that in the moment, and thought Phi had enabled them himself and was just letting them shoot willy nilly. I AHelped and kept moving, wanting to be done with it, leaving with a single comment of 'rude.' However, Phi followed, not speaking, and behaving... strangely, mirroring my movements when I tried to exit the bar after he followed me in, because I didn't want to be around him any more than I needed to be. During the situation, which mind you lasted maybe 3 minutes, I didn't notice any speech or emote from Phi at all. Looking at the logs? A singular shrug to my 'Fucking rude.'

Once in the bar, he drew and activated a stun baton, and already on edge, reflexively (when his initial swipe missed) I disarmed him, and, again reflexively, went right into trying to stun him, without realizing that A: I had accidentally tapped z rather than a, in order to back up while clicking, thereby turning what would have been a stun (I think. I don't actually use Sec equipment much) into a harm baton. After two hits and a miss, Phi shot lethals at me, disabling the hand, and the CMO and he started beating me into crit. With no admins having intervened at this point, and the round having ended with no delays, I jumped into discord, still caught in the moment, and immediately pinged all admins publicly, (Bad idea, yeah.) wanting to get this shit sorted ASAP because all I could think was "What the fuck just happened? What's going on?"

This was not an attempt to put someone to the mob, or force it into public, but best described as brief, confused flailing. I didn't think to go to any one admin initially, and didn't know who would even be free to listen. The outcome of the discord ping was only more confusing at first, and then angering, as I was told about some charge that I had forgotten about because I had been warned once, and it had never come up again. The charge was abuse of comms, to which I told Phi to 'eat shit', and at least 2, maybe more crew, echoed, finding the dumb conspiracy theories I was tossing around for laughs on comms at least somewhat entertaining. I legitimately thought the silence that followed said 'warning' was the end of it, because he made no attempts to use command comms to ask nicely, or even privately request anything. It was that one-off warning. That was justification for his shit at CC, and why it wasn't EORG, in admin's eyes. Am I salty about that? A little, yes. I would've expected some manner of 'please comply' or 'Cheri, you're under arrest for abuse of comms'

Also in the discord conversation, Resh posted partial logs from the altercation, but failed to include the opening swing by Phi, which was, in fact, what started it. This is a minor peeve, but it at least shows I had more provocation than JUST the baton coming out. A wordless swing. Missed, yes, but still a swing. Someone had the bright idea of suggesting it be taken to DMs, so I did, half ranting to Resh, half laying out the sequence of events as I saw them. There were some terse replies, a personal opinion of leaving it at the taser turrets, (that being 'punishment' enough, which I would have been fine with) and then silence, which I assumed was Resh relaying info to admins. Finally calming down, I checked the time and realized that, hey, it's 1 in the morning, guess this is as good a time as any to call it quits. Spent the next hour-ish chatting with people unrelated to the event to take my mind off of things, when I noticed that I was no longer in the discord.

There, that's my side. I wasn't lying, or trying to out someone publicly, call it the idiotic scrambling of someone not thinking straight, please, because that's what it was.

Why you think you should be unbanned:

I get it, I've been a prick now and again, I'm trying my hardest to not be one. I understand that some think of me as an annoyance and nuisance, or worse, a toxic player. However, I'm not actively seeking to get into these situations. They're not fun for me, having an admin bear down on me, and it doesn't take a genius to know the admin doesn't enjoy it either.

I've toned shit way back from what was, even though sometimes I have trouble resisting the urge to drop a snarky/bitchy comment. I took a... month long? Two month long break? To hopefully detox and relax. I estimate I had been back from the break for 2 weeks, roughly, when this ban came down, and I thought, save for a three hour ban over a nothingburger, I was doing pretty well.

I'd tried to avoid interacting with players whom I KNOW don't mesh with me, especially after the 'meta grudge' ban just to be extra safe. I'd limited the snark and snideness to what I had hoped was an acceptable level. Hell, one player even made a point of saying in LOOC they didn't mind her, despite the minor IC tension from Cheri being rude.

So yeah. I'm trying, have been trying, and continue to try to improve, whether or not you guys believe me. There are players and characters I will never get along with, certainly, but it has never been, and never will be, my mission to make enemies with everyone. If you've got any questions, any blanks left to fill, ask away. I hope I covered everything though.
Todo: Not fuck up.
Iroquois Pliskin

Re: [DemicusMaximus] cafaling - Discord and Server ban

Postby Mr_Signmeup » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 pm

This all started because you were going on about goblins and shit over the common radio. Talking about some BS and when Phi rightly told you to be quiet or face 'abuse of comms' charges. What do you do? You don't go silent. No, instead. You say the line that seals the deal;
"[2019-06-01T00:13:04]SAY: Cafaling/(Cheri Rifler) (44,72,5): (Common) Eat shit."

Even I told you to be quiet after you said that.

What do you expect to happen when a member of security tells you to be quiet and you just simply tell them to 'eat shit'? This is the problem here, you do not know when to be quiet. You always need the last say in stuff. When, in reality, you can just be quiet and not reply at all. No one is going to think differently of you if you do. In fact, they'll probably think positively of you! "Wow, they didn't retort back with a snarky comment? They're improving!"

Then, of course, you had the wise idea of bringing the complaint to space-lobby rather than privately contacting an administrator and getting the matter sorted privately. You had to air it out, in public, for all to see. I've told you this when you got banned and I will say it again. If you had kept your mouth closed and came to an admin privately. You wouldn't be making this ban appeal atm.

The 'lying' bit, sure. There was probably a bit of miscommunication, seeing as one of the complaints you brought up was that you were 'killed'/severely injured even though you didn't do anything. Which prompted me to go through the logs and bring the evidence that yes, the 'lethals' were justified in that situation cause you disarmed and harm-baton'd Phi. Even if it wasn't your intention, there's still justification to defend themselves during that time.

However, looking back through the logs. Yes, Phi should've said something before prodding you with the baton. He should've stated that you're being placed under arrest for abuse of communications instead of assuming that the turrets were a good way of stating that you're under arrest. Ironic enough, it was I who suggested to use the turrets to 'get revenge' for the goblin nonsense. The intent was to give Cheri a few surprise zaps with the turrets and leave it at that. No time in the brig as getting zapped with CC turrets is punishment enough for abuse of comms. Phi thought otherwise. So, I do take the blame for being the instigator that sent the events in motion that lead to the ban because I didn't make it clear that being zapped by the turrets should be Cheri's ONLY punishment.

I'll wait for further inputs, so for now. I'm undecided.
Reshskaskakss Seekiseekis: Chief of Security
Mr_Signmeup

Postby Mewchild » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:52 pm

Hopping in on this as well. specifically on why I didn't do as you asked here, and give a "Cheri, Halt" or "Cheri, please comply"

This isn't the first time you've been banned for, to be blunt, being a bitch in round. I have logs from July of last year of an incident where you ate a ban for the same type of things, for being toxic, In that instant, you argued with security and harassed someone for 45 minutes over comms before we said fuck it and I gave the order to just shoot you and drag you in- and then once in, you microwaved a piece of paper to break it, and proceeded to break every light in the brig, earning a vandalism charge each time until you were HuT, over being a bitch. This behavior that ended with you being banned isn't new by any stretch, and it's something I've been having to deal with, in server, for at least a year. You'll notice that I try to avoid you in round, never speaking to you on command radio even on official matters, because every interaction between us is met with some form of "Go and McFuck yourself, shithead." Why would this instance be any different? Every time I've had to have you arrested in the past over something that you feel isn't just, or is a bullshit reason, you've gone to ground, you've sent Cheri into hiding, often to the point that we need an AI's involvement to even find you. You've a long, storied history of this exact behavior, so I didn't feel it prudent to waste my breath on a "Cheri, report to security" when all I'd get back would be "report your lips to my cock" or an equivalent.
Mewchild

Postby Iroquois Pliskin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:10 pm

In my eyes, the conspiracy theorist tier rant was harmless and even entertaining, according to other crew, and I just saw Phi telling me to quit it as his usual fun police behaviour, hence my dismissive “eat shit” reaction. The round was nearly done and nothing was happening, why not roll out a joke after a pleasant round? No one else seemed to mind.

Like I said in the appeal itself, putting it in space lobby was a bad idea, but I didn’t stop to think in the moment. With the benefit of hindsight, sure, I can see my mistake there, and yeah, I’m sorry, but it wasn’t meant to be some public smear or airing dirty laundry in public.

Same goes for what I said happened and my immediate reaction. When someone wordlessly walks up and shoots/swings a weapon, my (and I would think, most people’s) response is gonna be to A: Fight back or B: Run, and since running would’ve left me open for further hits, I jumped into action to defend myself.
Todo: Not fuck up.
Iroquois Pliskin

Postby Aces » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:57 pm

IT's wAS ONlY a JokE.

Considering your (continued) history, and considering that you don't seem to bother attempting to be reasonable any time someone wrongs you in spacemens, I have no desire to have your particular sense of humor back on the server at this time, nor do I want to sit here and argue with you as you struggle to find the right words for a disingenuous apology.

Appeal rejected.
Aces

Return to Denied