[demicusmaximus] mike dy - weird ban

Moderator: Game Admins

[demicusmaximus] mike dy - weird ban

Postby mike dy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:07 am

Byond account and character name: Mike Dy / Jared Trill
Discord ID (if applicable): no
Banning admin: demicusmaximus
Ban type (What are you banned from?): permaban from server
Ban reason given: Suicided in maint, clearly not here for vore or even the ERP, and when the GM on site talked to them, received a "but hey I'm not breaking the rules" speech... when in fact they were breaking at least one rule at the time. I suggest playing on a more action-y server, might be for you.
Ban length: perm
Approximate time ban was placed (including time zone): just now
Your side of the story: I got extremely drunk and talked shit to one of the workers for a minute as part of my character, then left and died in maint due to alcohol poisoning. I ghosted and got PMed by an admin and had a short (and I thought rather pleasant) conversation and I thought that was the end of that, went afk, then got banned like 30 min after (why the delay?).
Why you think you should be unbanned:
'cause as far as i know I didn't actually break any of the rules (in my knowledge, and the vague "breaking at least one rule" seems to reinforce that the admin himself couldn't really pin anything specific on me anyway), and I wasn't informed of doing so if I perchance did. I didn't commit suicide or in fact even do it purposefully (was more of an accidental death, it was not my intention IC or OOC to die via alcohol poisoning - I would compare it more to some engineer cutting a wire and shocking himself to death - he did cause his own death, but it was not suicide). The admin didn't mention me actually breaking any rules, instead just recommended to play an action based server (and this is the exact wording he used, "I'd recommend") so it's not like he outright ordered me to leave the server or stop doing something or something else. Moreover, I think that as an adult I can choose my own servers to play on regardless of their content or nature - I didn't disrupt anyone's experience (in my knowledge, anyway), and I don't see a clause in the rules saying that I have to do vore or ERP to keep playing, just that I have to tolerate it, which I do. Plus the ban reason outright lies about a '"I'm not breaking the rules" speech' because I never even used the words "I'm not breaking the rules" or anything like that, neither did I deliver a speech of any kind. For reference, below is the full transcript of the admin conversation.
Code: Select all
[GameMaster PM] Jemli: So, uh, not exactly sure what you were trying to do... but you're probably gonna die from alcohol poisoning
to Jemli: yea what's wrong with that *
[GameMaster PM] Jemli: Mostly trying to figure out what exactly you're on here for, considering your OOC notes.
to Jemli: im here to game hard
[GameMaster PM] Jemli: you're definitely on the wrong server for that, then. I'd recommend finding a more action orientated server
to Jemli: dont think so man im gaming hard right now
to Jemli: see gamed so hard i died
to Jemli: its extreme

Was it a serious conversation? No. It's a game. I'm laid back. I'm playing a video game. The admin didn't indicate I was doing something wrong apart from my server choice, which is my own personal manner as long as I'm not impacting the experience of other players. I marked a part which could be considered as me saying 'I'm not breaking any rules' with an asterisk, but it was an honest question and if the administration found anything wrong with that I did he could've told me right there and then so I could apologize - but he didn't. As a side note, let me mention again that this took place about 20 minutes before me getting banned with no messages pertaining to the matter sent afterwards.

To finish up, I am aware the rules have a clause saying the admin is always right. And okay, I can agree with that - but the admin didn't say anything in order to even be right. If he had said: "You did X, and it was wrong - you shouldn't do X" I would've said "alright, I see, won't happen again" - but that didn't happen. All in all, it boils down to: the ban reason isn't right, and I don't think I deserved the ban in the first place.
mike dy

Re: [demicusmaximus] mike dy - weird ban

Postby Scree » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:09 pm

If you show up with "no ERP, no vore" as your notes on the vore ERP server you probably aren't going to have a good time nor are you showing signs of bringing anything that will bring a good time to our target audience.

You're right in that this is just a game. As in, a game that we want to play without our game being disrupted by people who are coming here just to fuck around.
Scree

Postby mike dy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Scree wrote:If you show up with "no ERP, no vore" as your notes on the vore ERP server you probably aren't going to have a good time

I'm pretty sure I can decide on what I can enjoy and what I won't enjoy without your help.

Scree wrote:nor are you showing signs of bringing anything that will bring a good time to our target audience.

So I have to "bring a good time to your audience" to play on your server? I'm pretty sure we're all playing for our own enjoyment. If my enjoyment doesn't harm anyone else's, what's the problem?

Imagine banning someone because they join as an assistant/passenger and stare at a wall entire round - not AFK, mind you - they just get immense enjoyment out of staring at a wall. Are they contributing to the "enjoyment of others"? No. They're just staring at a wall. Are they harming said enjoyment? No. They are a neutral element - they don't contribute to anything and play only for their own enjoyment, at the same time subtracting nothing from other players' experience. I don't see a reason why you would want to purge players like that?

Scree wrote:You're right in that this is just a game. As in, a game that we want to play without our game being disrupted by people who are coming here just to fuck around.

I don't believe I disrupted anyone? Nobody was complaining in any OOC channels and the only person that seemed to have any interest in my doings was the administrator who PMed me. The former aside; is a singular disruption that may have possibly happened truly, in your eyes, worth a permaban? Obviously, it is at the administrator's discretion, but are you really certain that what I've done is comparable to say, murdering random players or messing up the station (which I would assume are other offences you would permaban for)? In my humble opinion no, but I guess it's just food for thought.

All in all, I don't see why I should be barred from playing on the server considering I haven't and are not planning to break any of the rules in place and aren't planning to impact any player's experience negatively. It's just kind of funny to me how much of a problem is being made out of me not wanting to engage in cybersex - not that I think any less of people who do (I wouldn't be appealing the ban if I did).
mike dy

Postby Scree » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:53 am

lolyeah right, you can weasel-word as much as you like but this ain't a debate club, plus a few little birdies tell me you're permabanned from a bunch of other major servers too so I'm calling bullshit. I don't see any reason why we'd be losing anything of value by not letting you in.
Scree

Postby Demicus_Maximus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:59 am

Drank yourself to death? Shit happens. At the time I thought you had committed suicide on purpose using maint-pills, and suiciding for no reason is a violation of the 'realistic characters rule'. Combined with the flippant attitude, and the notes saying you're not here for either of our main selling points, I felt you were just here to dick around or be yet another low-level troll. Which we get a lot of.

And I certainly would have unbanned you straight away for my error. However, you're showing up as having been permabanned on at least four other servers for suiciding without reason, self-antagging, and metacomms. Combined with the appeal that honestly left a lot to be desired... And no, you don't have to 'entertain', and staring at a wall isn't ban-able as you put it. But at the same time, killing yourself with alcohol and then trying to play the part of the martyr standing up to ban-happy staff isn't the best first impression.

Given this information, I feel that the ban should stay. If you're serious about wanting to play here, try again in a month or so. But for now, appeal denied. Take care.

[Edited 10-08-18 03:05 PST]
Demicus_Maximus

Return to Denied