[unknown] unknown - One should know limits for jokes.

Moderator: Game Admins

[unknown] unknown - One should know limits for jokes.

Postby Mechanical » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Byond account and character name: None as of yet
Banning admin: Unknown, presumably Aces.
Ban type (What are you banned from?): banned off the Discord chatroom
Ban reason: Suspicious activity, supposedly being a troll
Ban length: Unknown
Approximate time ban was placed (including time zone): 0:40 UTC
Your side of the story: I'm too bad at stories, but okay.
I've been stalking around the SS13 community, watching other users play and discuss the game, but never actually playing it myself or joining conversations over this game. One awesome day (e.g. today) I've found one peculiar site of the server I've never heard of before, only complaints about this server, when I've tried to find out what do people think about this place. Results weren't so positive. I haven't seen much footage of what the server itself was like, probably, due to the, well, adult nature of this community. And then I've thought why not stalk into the Discord server to see what this place is like? Maybe I could see why there's so much hate about this place. Maybe I should actually register on BYOND, I thought, to personally survey this place and find out if all this hate is purely for being such an exotic server or there are reasons to hate it. But later, I thought then. Now I was going to see what the Discord server was. Well, I wasn't unnoticed. Someone on the general channel mentioned the "fresh meat". Knowing that this place has an... interesting reputation and is known to be a target for some griefers, I thought it might be a smart joke to awfully hide my fake intentions, suspiciously claiming to be just a simple average user, definitely not a troll or griefer, no-no-no. Well, I guess we all should know when to stop. I didn't stop in time and look at this, I'm making a ban appeal! Now here's a lesson for another episode of some kids' show: you should never try to joke on sensitive matters.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Well, the reason is simple: I've got my lesson, and want to apologize - I've quite messed it up, and want to apologize.
Mechanical

Re: [unknown] unknown - One should know limits for jokes.

Postby aerowing » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm just going to contribute and reference this from your rather short chat history on the server.

https://imgur.com/a/koq94JI

Plus you went through 7 different accounts to ban evade.
aerowing

Postby Aces » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 pm

I have to admit I could not help but giggle my ass off at the repeated ban evasion. Like, that took some dedication.

I wasn't the one who did the initial ban, though.
Last edited by Aces on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I didn't do the initial ban, clarifying
Aces

Postby Mechanical » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Well, guilty I am. Yes, I did ban evade. Now I am sorry I've had to commit a rule-breaking act to simply say "I'm sorry."

And the phrase you've mentioned, aerowing, well, it was a joke. I knew no sane griefer would be that honest. Well, as I've said, I can see that it was a rather bad decision, knowing there were many attacks due to the nature of this project.

And sorry, Aces. I didn't remember the name of the last admin I was talking to nor could I see WHO exactly kicked me out.
Mechanical

Postby Aces » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:22 pm

That said, if that screenshot is seriously the reason that somebody did ban you, I'm gonna ask my admins why they can't chill. Like I'm not too good at picking up on sarcasm but that screenshot seems like a really obvious joke that had no malicious intentions what so ever.

I feel like I'm missing some context. I was just enforcing the original ban, preventing ban evasion. I'll ask the other staff if there's something I missed.
Aces

Postby aerowing » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Can you explain why you used 'NerdAss' as a name during one such evasion? At that point you were just copying admin names. It feels to me that if you were being genuine about it you would stick to posting on the forums in the first place as instructed. This just comes off as low effort trolling.

Ace, that screenshot was one of several messages, I just snagged one that stood out to me, you can review his logs easily enough.

EDIT: I'm gonna step back and let you tackle it from here by the way.
aerowing

Postby Mechanical » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Well then, I shall help you evict me and forget about your forgiveness!

I've made even more such too obvious jokes like "Uhh... I'm definitely not the spy, I'm just a simple user" et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Perhaps it was too much.
I've used one of the ban evasion multiaccounts named as NerdAss because it was possibly one of the banning admins, and with thought that I could apologize to him/her/I don't know any other person pronouns. Well, I admit the joke sucked, but I doubt that terrible jokes like this are worth banning people.
Mechanical

Postby Aces » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm more concerned about what the original ban was about at this point. I'm not sure why nobody throughout the course of that (except when I finally did) decided to just... you know, drop a link to the ban appeal forum. Wasn't hard. You also stopped trying to ban evade after you got the link. I'm not sure why no one else could be arsed to do it.

If I don't get any decent info on the original ban I'll just revoke it due to a lack of an explanation. I'll try not to take too long with this.
Aces

Postby Mechanical » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:41 pm

So, what's the verdict now, Judge Dredd? I'll be happy if you accepted my apologies. Yeah, I know I sound somewhat dishonest. But that's hard to sound honest when you don't remember the full details after being somewhat distracted.

And yes, Nerdass, I want to apologize now personally. Maybe it was you who banned me the first time.

Hey, where's that Edit button admins have?
Mechanical

Postby Aces » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:22 pm

Only admins can edit posts on the ban appeals forum.

Honestly, I'm not sure how Aerowing edited his post if he did. That functionality doesn't exist for donors either, and he's not an admin. I think he's just a doof who forgot to hit submit and thought he was editing the post.
Aces

Next

Return to Denied