Unknown signal detected on comms

An online forum for Nanotrasen employees to access and communicate even while off station.
Forum rules
All posting in this forum is strictly in-character and related to in-character things. Post as if you're one of your characters. Use this for silly or useful things, but it all must be in character, and you must specify which character you're posting as.

Unknown signal detected on comms

Postby Aces » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:30 am

Brian Calloway, Central Command Telecommunications Department:

Okay I'm sure some of you heard that signal today. To be honest, we're stumped. It's some kind of code, but no one knows what it is. Either it's too advanced or too obsolete for us to comprehend. Does anyone have any information regarding this signal? We've uploaded the file onto our server for anyone interested in checking it out.

Volume warning. (By the way please stop faxing complaints about the noise. It's not our fault. :\)
/nanotrasen_files/tcomms2016-04-04_12.21.03.wav
Aces

Re: Unknown signal detected on comms

Postby cameron653 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Cadence Knapenberger, Scientist:

Analysis

Invalid

[+]
At first, I thought it might be morse. I got up the morse-code sheet and looked at it, but no dice. It was just a loop of repeating sounds that changed every so often.

I listened back to it again and wondered what it could possibly be.

I then went ahead and put it under some sound analysis software we have down in the science wing. Nothing.
After looking and listening back to it for a few minutes, I remembered that sometimes garbled text can have secret messages hidden away in them.
I went ahead and then got the software to look at it, but this time with the spectogram feature. Turns out, there's some kind of secret message hidden away in it, or something of the sort.
I took some photos of my findings and have uploaded it to the server below for any to see.

Image At first, it doesn't seem all that impressive. Just a simple spectogram. Noting out of the ordinary.

Image The beginning of the sound file. Not too odd. A pattern appears to be showing.

Image Again, this isn't odd at all. This is partially into the soundfile.

Now, here's where it gets interesting

Image About a third of the way into the sound file. It starts to get more rapid, and another pattern starts to appear. This happens from time 27.40 seconds to 46.85 seconds into the sound file.

Image It then starts to get more depth, and looks quite odd at this point. It resembles a torso slightly, or some kind of space ships, possibly.

Image This is where it gets REALLY odd. It looks like a lot of torsos holding hands together, or a bunch of frigate cruiser ships. This pattern appears from 54.5 seconds to 105.6 seconds

ImageIt then appears that the bottom half of it, a "face" starts to appear and slowly moves upwards, or the ship size begins to shrink.. This occurs from 105.7 seconds to 106.8 seconds.

Image This pattern then appears and gradually fades off for the rest of the time of the recording.

Video of the entire spectogram, compressed into seven seconds. https://i.gyazo.com/c8a2cdbab3222d39cfc682ba6d1e90e4.mp4

Could this possibly be a warning of some kind? It seems too well thought out to be a practical prank.

Additional notes: Another scientist in the lab took a look at it and said it possibly looked like an enemy spaceship fleet. Could this possibly be the case?

As I have been informed, it is possibly something very very different, and this information I currently have is invald. It has been left for archiving purposes while I attempt to decode it further.

Analysis V2

One of the boys in the labs said he recognized it. It's one of those ████ images. Yeah, the ones they used in the early 2000's to go and turn pictures to images. It ended up being so old that we didn't even have the technology on hand to recreate it. He had to salvage some program off of another older file server, and used that to decode it.

Below, you will find the results of the scientist. Please view with caution.

Could this possibly be a cry for help, or could it be some kind of joke?
This is all our analysis came up with.
cameron653

Postby Aces » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:17 pm

Jeremiah Acacius posted:

NOPE NUH-UH NOT HAPPENING V.O.R.E. IS CLOSED FOREVER I'LL BE IN MY APARTMENT CRYING UNDER THE BEDSHEETS IF ANYONE NEEDS ME ITS FUCKING EYES ARE GONE JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
Aces

Postby An Angry Frenchman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Aces wrote:Jeremiah Acacius posted:

NOPE NUH-UH NOT HAPPENING V.O.R.E. IS CLOSED FOREVER I'LL BE IN MY APARTMENT CRYING UNDER THE BEDSHEETS IF ANYONE NEEDS ME ITS FUCKING EYES ARE GONE JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

mederic chesnais says:

And when i though you got over your clown hysteria.. Either way, it can be a good way to strenghen the ties of our crew to send a few guys there.
yay to old ghosts!
An Angry Frenchman

Postby Mech__Warrior » Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 am

An Angry Frenchman wrote:

mederic chesnais says:

And when i though you got over your clown hysteria.. Either way, it can be a good way to strenghen the ties of our crew to send a few guys there.

Harmony Pretchl posted:

Fuck it, I'll sign up. I know I've been 'bad' to clowns in the past, but I'm itching for action. And after having some fuddy duddy CE tell me what to do a few nights ago, I'd actually like to plan this op.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby Mech__Warrior » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:54 am

Mech__Warrior wrote:
An Angry Frenchman wrote:

mederic chesnais says:

Harmony Pretchl posted:

Fuck it, I'll sign up. I know I've been 'bad' to clowns in the past, but I'm itching for action. And after having some fuddy duddy CE tell me what to do a few nights ago, I'd actually like to plan this op.

Harmony Pretchl posted:

Still nothing? A shame really.
Mech__Warrior

Postby JoanRisu » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:03 am

Joan Risu writes:

The United Federation haven't heard much from the Clown Federation either. It's kinda creepy.
JoanRisu

Postby Mech__Warrior » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:38 am

JoanRisu wrote:Joan Risu writes:

The United Federation haven't heard much from the Clown Federation either. It's kinda creepy.

Harmony Pretchl says:

As much as I'd hate to say it, do you guys want me to go and investigate?
Mech__Warrior

Postby SilverTalismen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Tasy Ruffles Writes:

Ohohohoh I could go too!
SilverTalismen

Return to (IC) Nanotrasen Virgo-Sector Hypernet Forum