[Job posting] Need a mechanic.

An online forum for Nanotrasen employees to access and communicate even while off station.
Forum rules
All posting in this forum is strictly in-character and related to in-character things. Post as if you're one of your characters. Use this for silly or useful things, but it all must be in character, and you must specify which character you're posting as.

[Job posting] Need a mechanic.

Postby Tasald » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Tasald posted:

Recently I got ahold of a combustion engine bike. Turns out the engine doesn't work, probably fuk d it by pouring petrol into the tank with out checking it first. So was woundering if any of you lot would know how to fix it. And yes asked people here, but all the equipment we get is electric, and you don't need a collage dagree to work machines or mine. Least not on a fringe world. If some one can fix it, we can negotiate payment.
Tasald

Re: [Job posting] Need a mechanic.

Postby SilverTalismen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Unknown:Teehee Good luck fixing that junker!
SilverTalismen

Postby Aces » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:28 am

Jeremiah Acacius posted:

I know it's not a Pelican turbine but I could probably figure it out if I had some tools.

Pouring gas in isn't the end of the machine. Really I don't think that should matter unless by some fluke it runs on diesel or something. Pretty sure motorbikes don't run on diesel though. I don't know of many other fuel types except aviation fuel--and I'm willing to bet that unless the engine is built from an old turbine, it's not that either.

What happens when you try to start it? Does it make any noise at all? Do anything?
Aces

Postby Scree » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:46 am

Scree posted:

Only combusty engines I worked wiv is plasma powered. Also huge. And...

... how much dos it weigh? I bet a electric mule engine could make it go fast.
Scree

Postby jemli » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:33 am

Jemli posted:
Well, if my experience with ancient human movies is to be believed, all you have to do is smack it around a bunch with a big ol' monkey wrench and it'll work.
jemli

Postby Aces » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:20 pm

jemli wrote:Jemli posted:
Well, if my experience with ancient human movies is to be believed, all you have to do is smack it around a bunch with a big ol' monkey wrench and it'll work.

Jeremiah Acacius posted:

What no.

That works on spaceships because the pipes freeze up with frozen slushy liquid oxygen used in traditional rocket fuels. It's not just science fiction. Some of the first space explorers of mankind had that problem (NASA) and they fixed it by bashing pipes with wrenches.

That doesn't work with piston driven combustion engines.
Aces

Postby Tasald » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Tasald posted:

No, it doesn't make any noise at all, from what I can tell its a two cylinder engine. Tried putting petrol in it, then siphoned it all out, or tried to, and changed to a different grade. still nothing. looked at the battery a well, old liquid based one was dead, so we jury ringed the ports on a new one to where it was hooked up, the lights work now, but it won't turn over, or make any noise from the engine.

the full bike, with its side car and some 'extra bit' I've had put on is about 601kilos.
Tasald

Return to (IC) Nanotrasen Virgo-Sector Hypernet Forum