NT and patents?

An online forum for Nanotrasen employees to access and communicate even while off station.
Forum rules
All posting in this forum is strictly in-character and related to in-character things. Post as if you're one of your characters. Use this for silly or useful things, but it all must be in character, and you must specify which character you're posting as.

NT and patents?

Postby Zeke Sturm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Zeke Arachi Lacecraft posted:

Okay, so, does anyone here have any experience working with NT's patent offices, or know of any better patent offices to use? I'm still a bit short on operating hours in the day so I can't really finish up this project and visit them all to figure out which one works the best, and I'd like to actually license this patent to NT, not give it to them, so I can cover these medical bills their insurance doesn't cover.

Plus, y'know, not having them steal the money from this would be pretty a'ight on principle, there's been a lot of blood, sweat and tears gone into this, more literally than I'd like.
Zeke Sturm

Re: NT and patents?

Postby Aces » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Zeke Sturm wrote:Zeke Arachi Lacecraft posted:

Okay, so, does anyone here have any experience working with NT's patent offices, or know of any better patent offices to use? I'm still a bit short on operating hours in the day so I can't really finish up this project and visit them all to figure out which one works the best, and I'd like to actually license this patent to NT, not give it to them, so I can cover these medical bills their insurance doesn't cover.

Plus, y'know, not having them steal the money from this would be pretty a'ight on principle, there's been a lot of blood, sweat and tears gone into this, more literally than I'd like.

Jeremy Neil posted:

As much as NT pisses me off sometimes, they are usually pretty good about hooking their employees up with lawyers to get patents put through. They know that if they don't play fair, it'll discourage innovation, and if your patent is successful, they can be the first to offer to mass produce it. Talk to an IAA or Lawyer.
Aces

Postby Scree » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Aces wrote:

Jeremy Neil posted:

As much as NT pisses me off sometimes, they are usually pretty good about hooking their employees up with lawyers to get patents put through. They know that if they don't play fair, it'll discourage innovation, and if your patent is successful, they can be the first to offer to mass produce it. Talk to an IAA or Lawyer.

Scree posted:

Yeah.
They might be dicks but they didn't get to be as big as they is by doing stuff what screws their scientists over.

There was this guy what showed up while I was on holiday asking for crew. Straight-up pirate, captain Gannet. Word had got about that he was a dick, sure he got stuff done at first with the whole scaring civilian ships bit and knew what he was doing when it came to planning raids and stuff like that but his last crew decided it wasn't worth it. Turns out he'd been playing a fancy game, had some crap written in his charter that dicked people over for shares and a good chunk of them walked and found other crews as soon as they docked and spread the word out that if you work for him you won't be paid what you think.
Last I heard his ship was spotted out past the edge of Virgo and picked on a NT cruiser. Word is that he's a smarter captain than that and would have known it weren't a civvie ship on the scope so they reckon someone else was at the helm. Surprised it took so long.
Scree

Postby Zeke Sturm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Scree wrote:
Aces wrote:

Jeremy Neil posted:

Scree posted:

Yeah.
They might be dicks but they didn't get to be as big as they is by doing stuff what screws their scientists over.

There was this guy what showed up while I was on holiday asking for crew. Straight-up pirate, captain Gannet. Word had got about that he was a dick, sure he got stuff done at first with the whole scaring civilian ships bit and knew what he was doing when it came to planning raids and stuff like that but his last crew decided it wasn't worth it. Turns out he'd been playing a fancy game, had some crap written in his charter that dicked people over for shares and a good chunk of them walked and found other crews as soon as they docked and spread the word out that if you work for him you won't be paid what you think.
Last I heard his ship was spotted out past the edge of Virgo and picked on a NT cruiser. Word is that he's a smarter captain than that and would have known it weren't a civvie ship on the scope so they reckon someone else was at the helm. Surprised it took so long.

Zeke Arachi Lacecraft posted:

Fair enough. Sound nicer about it than the pirates, at least. And mass production does sound pretty appealing from a licensing standpoint. Now I just have to find a lawyer/IAA that doesn't look edible/knows how things go on Virgo. Or at least a representative to help me deal with said lawyer remotely. Thanks guys.
Zeke Sturm

Return to (IC) Nanotrasen Virgo-Sector Hypernet Forum