Guides for dummies - Solars

I have no idea what I am doing.

Guides for dummies - Solars

Postby AngelusDominusRadiant » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:43 am

Alright listen up, lads. You are here because the station is spooky dark, and you figured out that you need that nice sparky juice in the red wires to make it shiny bright and dandy again. SO, what's the easiest and most efficient way to power the entire station with just few minutes of work? Our glorious lord, the One True Immortal Lord Singuloth. The solars. BUT! You dont care about how it works, why is it done this way, or what's the best way to do it, you just want it done quickly without further complications or even using your brain. This guide is for you!

1. What do I need?
-An ID with engineering access. Image That's it, nothing more, you can even go do it naked as long as you have the ID with access. Chief engineer, station engineer and atmospheric technician get those.

2. Where do I go?

-There are four solar arrays on the station, one at each corner of the station, you need to go into the mainetance tunnels to access them. They are behind the yellow airlocks.
This is a baystation map, so it's a bit different, the crossed array doesn't exist on VORE.

3. What do I do?

You will see a console, and a big white boxy thing (called Power storage unit, A.K.A. SMES ). First you go to the console, and click the "automatic" setting. That's it, you dont have to touch anything else. Next you turn to the SMES And you will see something like this:

1. Click this button.
2. Click this button and set it to 110000
3. Click this button and set it to 60000
4. Click this button.

However, the most likely scenario is that the SMES charge will be 0% (the big orange/black bar at the top) , which will cause the output to automatically switch to offline. If that's the case, go set the rest of the solars, and come back later to set the output online when it has at least 1% charge.

Repeat for all 4 solar arrays. Congratulations, the station will be forever powered and you don't need to do absolutely no kind of mainetance for this setup to keep working. Now you can go back to ERPing knowing that you did your job correctly.
Last edited by AngelusDominusRadiant on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngelusDominusRadiant

Re: Guides for dummies - Solars

Postby orbisa » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:14 am

Wonderful guide, I would advice to only set them online after they have at least 50% charge, otherwise when the sun leaves them without charge, the smes will be depleted and you will have to turn them on again
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby smirky » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:39 pm

If you want to take a VERY efficient route, wire the solars into the grid. Cut all cables leading to the SMES and connect the solars to the cable that leaves the solar room.

All four solars wired into the grid will net enough power to operate the station all the time, about ~300k watts. Admins, especially Scree, frown on this, but it's the most efficient way to oeprate the solar arrays.
he be a gu bwoi, he dindu nuffin
smirky

Postby Lobo-Branco » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Outdated! :3
Daniel Barrett

Lobo-Branco

Postby Scree » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:14 am

Very outdated.

Also wiring solars directly is even more pointless on new station. Just max both the inputs and outputs on the SMESs if you want to go the route of giving the station all the juice the solars collect without the benefit of charging a backup supply :p

I swear one of these days I'mma tator up and drop a powersink somewhere to show why all these "efficient" shortcuts are a bad idea. Not to mention it being on you if someone dies from a spark :p
Scree

Postby Lobo-Branco » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 am

No, bad monster! Stop!
Daniel Barrett

Lobo-Branco

Return to Tutorials & Information.