Genetics Overhaul and Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul.

Screw up game balance and fix bugs by creating more bugs. Now you too can join the discussion. This is where the magic happens. Sometimes actual magic.

Re: Genetics Overhaul and Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul.

Postby EmoxNeko » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:06 pm

NobodySpecialzz wrote:
Might also want to emphasis the fact of debating where genetics belongs. It's in medbay. But they shouldn't be there all that much. No access to science, but has access to the science wing. Where do we belong?! Seriously. I'd like some input on this as well.

My opinion believes that it shouldn't be in the med bay. Genetics should reside within the science department. If they need hyranolin? Geneticists should ask the chemistry labs for it, much akin to bartenders requesting reagents for their booze, or xenobotanists for unstable mutagen or radium.

At least someone gets it. Yepyep! We are more science than the medbay. Every medbay staff KNOWS how to use the cloning machines and such, else they wouldn't have access to it or even be in the medbay. Knowing how to use Cryo and such is basic tier knowledge to being ANY MEDBAY Personnel. Just cause us Geneticists revolve around this, doesn't mean we're needed to do what Medbay should know how to do.

Yes, it makes sense that it's adjacent to the cloning labs, but no, I don't understand why they get unrestricted access to the medical bay, yet barely any access to the science labs.

I blame Ace. I mean. Stalin.

Reflex Dodging/Hyper Reflexes - Increases dodge, allows for dodging of bullets, increases dodge chance when facing danger (when facing the object you are trying to dodge.)

Pretty nifty. Seems more robust-y than roleplay-y from my perspective, but I'm not complaining.

Most the genetic powers are gonna be used for events since players are starting to host events more and more. Ya know?

Hyperawareness - You literally get a radar on your screen. It'll say something like this. Well. IT WILL SAY THIS. OR WILL IT?
You begin to sense the presence or lack of presence of others around you.
(Might make it so updating jobs via ID Alteration changes blimp color accordingly.)
Red blips on the map are Security. (Bugged.)
White blips are civlians.
Monochrome Green blips are cyborgs and AIs.
Light blue blips are heads of staff.
Purple blips are unidentified organisms.
Dead biologicals will not display on the radar.

So it's the combination of the suit sensors interface and the security HUD? Or an additional HUD blip that appears as a literal radar on the players client?

It's a square. In a box. That has a limited range, but shows blips on this square. Of where things are. I have a private server if you want me to show you.

Reinforced Skin - Basically, it'll increase your defenses towards everything energy/projectile/vore based. Reduces brute damage taken by 15%.

Right! A simple and decent concept. Though what will the sprite look for when a subject has this genetic trait? Or will there be no visual indication of it? Also! In addition for vore based mechanical damage (Which is a combination of burns and brute damage, leaning more so towards burns), those who have this genetic trait also get the 15% brute resistance, on top of the digestion damage?

Any source of brute damage is decreased by 15% of the original value. That's all there is to it. Be it digestion or getting robusted by a toolbox. If it is considered brute damage, reduce thy damage.

Muscle Enhancer - The complete opposite of Reinforced skin in a sense. Increases your chance to break limbs with your hits, increases brute damage dealt by 15%. That's really it. Minor, really. More of an antag thing if anything.

Reinforced Skin is the defensive gene, whilst Muscle Enhancer it the offensive counterpart. Neat-o!

Damn right.

Electrical Hands - Basic Harm Intent when unarmed is replaced with electrocuting people. Might make it so it functions as a multi-tool for hacking doors. Might also add in just toggling electric punches or electric touches. Again. More of an antag thing.

Stuuuuuuun gloooooves! Make this have a downside to using them, like how arachnids need nutriment to spin webs. Stuns are a powerful mechanic. Needs to have its downsides! I can see this easily being abused as well. There's no downside to having it at this rate.

Okay. Well. I did put up the 'genetic strain' idea. Why not just have it induce a heavy load and have a potential chance to backfire the higher it is? Just like cryo beakers can fail on you and random mutations are more prone to happen in a DNA Modifier the higher the radiation is?

E-Sword Materializer - This is obviously for ANTAGS only and would be an admin spawnable DNA Injector Item only. Like the others. (Probably.) Obviously. Anyhow. By using a certain emote, you'll be able to literally create a handheld energy sword in your hands. Neat-O, right?

It's certainly a nice concept to add to what the admoons can do during antagonist rounds. I can personally can see this being a fun idea to roleplay out, as ludicrous as it sounds!

Might make this on par with matter materialization as well, allowing for people to effectively RP creating things/fusing things like a scrub. I'unno. But yeah!

Remove Viewing - The Ability to well. See people anywhere, from afar. You won't be able to hear them meaning no emotes and such as well. But you'll know their location!

So it's something akin to the AI's cameras around the station, except it's unrestricted vision?

Think of Ghost Mode. Now think of an AI Camera. There's your answer. Ghosting with an AI Camera. You can't hear anything, but you can see it all. A menu pops up of who you want to 'observe' then you just do it. Seeing everything as they would see it. You wouldn't see around walls or such. It'll only let you see through their eyes. Ya know?!

Shapeshifting - Really? Do I need to explain this to anyone? Myself? DEFINITELY NOT.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of geneticists, depending on how you look at it? A crew member comes strolling on into the SCIENCE (Hinthint) department with discolored skin and wants that to be reverted. Do you just mutate the skins pigment, or just slap them with a shapeshifting genetic strand? Of course, morphing skin colours is just a minor ordeal. How specific would the character's transformations be when they have access to the shapeshifting trait?

Shapeshifting would give genetic strain each time its used and potentially induce some sort of danger to people. Since this would be 'common' knowledge to genetics, if they didn't use the machines for their intended purpose and gave away a shifty power that would allow for potential chaos...Then yeah. Why are they a geneticist? It's basically the admin 'edit' character verb without being able to change the name and such. Only cosmetic appearances. Skin color, Hair Color, Hair Type. That's really it.

Minor Regeneration - Heals 1% overall health, curing respective damages and such every so often.

Natural healing on this server's already potent enough as it is. What interval would this healing take place at? Every tick? Every few seconds? Certainly seems like the genetics equivalent to a beneficial pathogen! If this does get implemented, I'm curious -- Would this be something forms have to signed over, or just a simple "Hey, chief medical officer. Can I give this genetic modification to crew members who are willing to have it?"

Obviously this would need to be signed for. It'll just fill up the genetic strain limit 'passively' so it wouldn't do much harm unless they got more powers but you know. It'd also heal 1% of overall health every eight seconds to thirteen seconds.

Matter Materialization - Not sure how to play it off, but the gist is. You'll be able to create items so long as you have the materials and such. Kinda like Synthesis in a Tales Of Game or any RPG game, really. Become the best Prolathe/Autolathe ever.

It's futuristic alchemy. Have steel in your right hand, glass in your left, somehow open up the proto/autolathe menu through the powers tab, and poof. You're an alchemist that can contest with the gods of the lathes.

You know. I tried to bring back my mom with some glass and steel. My right arm ended up becoming steel and my brother became a full metal suit of armor. I also lost my left leg to the steel. But hey. Look on the bright side. Now they call me the FULL METAL ALCHEMIST.

Accelerated Regeneration - Makes medicines affect you a lot faster, causing you to respectively regenerate faster. Also heals 1% overall health. Stacks with Minor Regeneration, procs more often than minor regeneration.

So this genetic alteration will cause chemicals to metabolize at a faster rate? Meaning 10 units of tricordrazine would heal the same amount, but at a faster rate? That would be lovely.

Correct. Might change this to just overall faster metabolization. So that you'll get drunk faster and all that. Win-Win-Lose-Lose. Downsides and Upsides.

Rebreathing - Basically. You have no need for OXYGEN. Cause. Fuck you, Vox.

Right, no oxygen. Does this mean that people can jump on out into space and not have to worry about their lungs collapsing in on themselves? Because that would be nice. We have too many people already suffering from that ailment when they have a tank in their hands and they forget to switch on their internals!

What did I say? You just don't need oxygen. You'll still have your fucking lungs destroyed by pressure. If that's a thing. If not, yer lungs will be safe.
Every other genetic related defects are a-okay by my standards. I never liked genetics in a med to high RP server since that department feels more robust-y/mechanical than anything.

Aaaaaand then there's isotopes. I'd love to see the chemistry labs be more complicated than it currently is. Heck, it might just be because the servers I play on all have a similar chemistry code and that I'm getting bored with the repetition of making the exact same chemicals. I'll take any change, and the concept of adding isotopes to chemistry is something I'd love to see. I'd love to see a more in-depth explanation to your planned changes to the chemistry labs, if you have any solid ideas for it!

Well. I have jack shit for chemistry besides Isotopes. I was thinking Half-Lives and Radioactive Decay. But nah. I'm gonna just open a sticky note and you know. Write down some Isotope Effects now. Yeah! But if you have any ideas or if I come up with any, I'll edit the main post with them. Alright?!
EmoxNeko

Postby viveret » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:35 pm

Something like hallucinations or voices would be cool for clowns. Something like muteness could be cool for mimes, too.
viveret

Postby EmoxNeko » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:37 pm

viveret wrote:Something like hallucinations or voices would be cool for clowns. Something like muteness could be cool for mimes, too.

>Clowns.
>Mimes.
I suppose that the mime one makes sense. But...what if a mime is just choosing not to talk like 98% of them? Silly you. SILLY YOU.
EmoxNeko

Postby Scree » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:39 am

And then the mimes would just end up using Me to talk in custom emotes anyway, and "wave their hands as if to say" shit.

Regarding the rest, some of them are useful, buuuuuuuuut - bearing in mind that unlike science gear, genetic powers can't be disarmed away from people, I'd shy away from genetic advantages that give TOO much stuff. Although balancing them with a downside would certainly help. Some of these seem a little OP as written.

Having the faster healing paired with an increase in nutrient drain, for instance. Pair the dermal armour/toughness with a slowdown. That sort of thing.
Scree

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Scree wrote:And then the mimes would just end up using Me to talk in custom emotes anyway, and "wave their hands as if to say" shit.

Regarding the rest, some of them are useful, buuuuuuuuut - bearing in mind that unlike science gear, genetic powers can't be disarmed away from people, I'd shy away from genetic advantages that give TOO much stuff. Although balancing them with a downside would certainly help. Some of these seem a little OP as written.

Having the faster healing paired with an increase in nutrient drain, for instance. Pair the dermal armour/toughness with a slowdown. That sort of thing.

Ryetalyn instantly removes genetic powers. Only one unit is needed. So... Ryetalyn smoke bombs, syringe guns, autoinjectors, the Oddyseues' built in syringe launcher, hypospray, spike their drink with it, etc.
Wickedtemp

Postby EmoxNeko » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Scree wrote:And then the mimes would just end up using Me to talk in custom emotes anyway, and "wave their hands as if to say" shit.

Right. I'll make some adjustments to the genetic powers then. Still. Once more. They are mainly for antags only. So. Lest I were to actually manage to get them to where players would get them, It'd not really matter all that much. Still! I'll code in two versions anyhow and I'll see what happens. Also. Why not DNA Injector Syringe Guns. Or Implants capable of resetting the genetic code. What the fuck am I talking about. I don't even know anymore. Then again. Ryetalyn is a thing. One unit would instantly rid of genetic powers. No need for any of that stuff. Am I right?

My point is. Any more suggestions and such would be much appreciated.
EmoxNeko

Postby Scree » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:53 pm

The other thing is I'd be wary of doing anything too massive to chemistry. We don't want another goofball on our hands.

Or at least if you do change things, you're writing the wiki for it :p
Scree

Postby EmoxNeko » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Scree wrote:The other thing is I'd be wary of doing anything too massive to chemistry. We don't want another goofball on our hands.

I'll write the damn wiki for it then. IF it happens.

[+]
It's all dependent on if I come up with more ideas than just ions, protrons, electrons, isotopes, etc, etc and what Ace thinks of this entire post.
EmoxNeko

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:17 pm

EmoxNeko wrote:
Scree wrote:The other thing is I'd be wary of doing anything too massive to chemistry. We don't want another goofball on our hands.

I'll write the damn wiki for it then. IF it happens.

[+]
It's all dependent on if I come up with more ideas than just ions, protrons, electrons, isotopes, etc, etc and what Ace thinks of this entire post.

I'd be happy to assist with the wiki page, if ever needed.
Wickedtemp

Postby EmoxNeko » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:13 am

Wickedtemp wrote:
I'd be happy to assist with the wiki page, if ever needed.

Danke, Danke. Well. Let me update the main post first then I'll see about what I'll add and naught add in terms of chemistry.
EmoxNeko

PreviousNext

Return to Coding