Genetics Overhaul and Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul.

Screw up game balance and fix bugs by creating more bugs. Now you too can join the discussion. This is where the magic happens. Sometimes actual magic.

Genetics Overhaul and Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul.

Postby EmoxNeko » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:05 pm

WARNING: THIS IS BEING CONSTANTLY EDITED AND UPDATED IN CORRESPONDENCE TO YOUR INPUTS. CHECK THIS LIST DAILY IF YOU WISH TO STAY UP TO DATE AND PROVIDE EVEN GREATER INPUT.

LAST UPDATED: Never! Cause you know. Genetics got removed.

-------------
The Basic Idea
--------------
So. Let's get to the point. I'm working on a genetics overhaul cause I feel that genetics could be better. They get all medical access and they're filthy science genetic code ruining plebs. SO YEAH! Let's just get further into the point.

See here. I already got a general idea of what I'll be adding. Extra Genetic Powers, possible second strain of SEs which'll allow for extra disabilities and such. More disabilities, obviously. More genetic side effects. If allowed, MORE FUN. You get the point. :twisted: (I have also been working on coding in goon genetics and making it properly functionable in a Vorestation matter and such. Might honestly just handcode the stuff they have there though based off the newly leaked and then released cause goonstation is for pussies code.)

Might also want to emphasis the fact of debating where genetics belongs. It's in medbay. But they shouldn't be there all that much. No access to science, but has access to the science wing. Where do we belong?! Seriously. I'd like some input on this as well.

-----------------
The Plan (So Far.)
-----------------
So. Here's what I have for the Genetics Stuff that I've added and plan on adding so far. I'd heavily like all your opinions on this.

I'm planning to add in a genetic strain ability on genetics to start off with. You have too many powers or use them too often (Possibly make a genetic strain passive gain for stuff like X-Ray Vision), then you'll gradually weaken and ruin your genetic genome before eventually becoming worthless and potentially dead. Good for managing griefers and such.

Also. I plan on adding in a mutation trigger for genetic powers and disabilities. This means by altering the genome further, you'll be able to give special mutations to certain powers and disabilities. This will count as .5 of the active genetic strain per mutation. Some stuff might have multiple mutation levels. I'unno.

People have made complaints time and again about genetics being so RNG based and boring. So I thought of a solution albeit temporary. Why not just add a targeting option to the SE blocks, people said. Well, either science or the genetics machines aren't advanced enough to do so. At least to NT's knowledge. That'd make genetics easier anyhow. Way too easy. Genetics is supposed to be RNG based. So here's my solution! Add more stuff to find! Add more things to play with! If you're aiming for something specific, then good luck! We can change breast size and dick size cause that's the UI! And we can easily edit the UI of a person! Ahahaha! Genetics. Fuckery. Whatever. Blah. Blah.

-------------------------------
Genetic Straining Information!~
-------------------------------

Now. A keyword I'm gonna use a lot is 'Genetic Straining' which basically refers to the amount of strain from genetic-based things that is put onto a person.

Every genetic power and genetic alteration will give a genetic strain amount. It's that simple. Go over a certain amount and well, start suffering genetic deformation and possible death with other possible side effects.

See, there are four types of genetic straining. There's 'Active' Genetic Straining and 'Passive' Genetic Straining. As well as 'Innate' Genetic Straining and 'Total' Genetic Straining.

Active Genetic Straining is basically how much genetic strain you're going to get into your system by using a certain power or doing a certain modification. This type will slowly drain out of your system as for it's only an 'in the moment' type of straining. This stacks onto your total genetic strain.

Passive Genetic Straining is the genetic strain that stays in your body due to the obtaining of a power. Say that the overall genetic strain limit before negatives was fifty (50) and I injected a power worth twenty-five (25) passive strain. I'd now be stuck with that twenty-five strain out of fifty until I got RID of that power completely. One unit of Ryetalyn would fix this. It's a way to identify if a power is worth having and when to fucking stop abusing powers, kiddos and the effectiveness of powers being mixed with one another.

Innate Genetic Straining is just the amount of active genetic straining that turns into passive genetic straining. Sometimes, using powers require this to happen. You'll be putting a permanent strain (until a healthy one unit pill of Ryetalyn gets into you.) on your body. It'll make using powers more...deadly and costly. Ya know?

Total Genetic Straining
is just the amount of 'Active' and 'Passive' and 'Innate' Genetic Straining added together. If the Total goes over the person's Genetic Strain Limit, then yeah. They'll slowly break down over time with other possible side effects (which I'd love ideas for.) until fixed. Ryetalyn alone won't fix this type of breaking down. Cryo/Rezadone would fix that.

And that's that. More on this stuff later. Like those side effects and stuff. As well as info on mutations for powers! They'll serve as upgrades with some downgrades and such. Hey. Who knows? Gimme ideas or something. I'm at a loss for now.
------------------------------

Genetic Powers Added (Coded currently. Not approved or anything.):

Reflex Dodging/Hyper Reflexes - Increases dodge, allows for dodging of bullets, increases dodge chance when facing danger (when facing the object you are trying to dodge.)

Hyperawareness - You literally get a radar on your screen. It'll say something like this. Well. IT WILL SAY THIS. OR WILL IT? (Probably gonna make this a Central Command accessed only DNA Injector.)
You begin to sense the presence or lack of presence of others around you.
(Might make it so updating jobs via ID Alteration changes blimp color accordingly.)
Red blips on the map are Security. (Bugged.)
White blips are civlians.
Monochrome Green blips are cyborgs and AIs.
Light blue blips are heads of staff.
Purple blips are unidentified organisms.
Dead biologicals will not display on the radar.

Reinforced Skin - Basically, it'll increase your defenses towards everything energy/projectile/vore based. Reduces brute damage taken by 15%. Make you slower by 35%.

Muscle Enhancer - The complete opposite of Reinforced skin in a sense. Increases your chance to break limbs with your hits, increases brute damage dealt by 15%. That's really it. Minor, really. More of an antag thing if anything. No idea for negatives here.

Electrical Hands - Basic Harm Intent when unarmed is replaced with electrocuting people. Might make it so it functions as a multi-tool for hacking doors. Might also add in just toggling electric punches or electric touches. Again. More of an antag thing. Have a chance to backfire the higher your genetic strain is. This makes it not work well with other powers.

E-Sword Materializer - This is obviously for ANTAGS only and would be an admin spawnable DNA Injector Item only. Like the others. (Probably.) Obviously. Anyhow. By using a certain emote, you'll be able to literally create a handheld energy sword in your hands. Neat-O, right? Makes for immense genetic straining of the body per usage of said sword and through activation. It'll screw you over quickly if not used wisely.

Remove Viewing - The Ability to well. See people anywhere, from afar. You won't be able to hear them meaning no emotes and such as well. But you'll know their location! Might make it so the victim of this gets a notification that they're being watched as well as a potential directional nudge in the direction of their observer!~

Shapeshifting - Really? Do I need to explain this to anyone? Myself? DEFINITELY NOT. Takes up a power slot, provides passive genetic straining, AND gives active genetic strain when used. Makes it an ability to be used wisely with other genetic powers.

Minor Regeneration - Heals 1% overall health, curing
respective damages and such every so often. Makes nutriment drain faster. Takes up a power slot, gives passive genetic strain.

Genetic Powers Planned/Pending:
Data Hacking - Gives one the ability to use their mind to open doors and such as an AI would. Has a chance to notify all active AIs/Cyborgs when doing such a thing. Gives 20 Active Genetic Strain when an action is done with this. Just hacking carelessly into everything would make you blow yer head up rather quickly.

Matter Materialization - Not sure how to play it off, but the gist is. You'll be able to create items so long as you have the materials and such. Kinda like Synthesis in a Tales Of Game or any RPG game, really. Become the best Prolathe/Autolathe ever. The negative is that it'll just make you suffer immensely via giving an immense active genetic strain. This way, you can't spam making ammo or guns without blowing your non-omnipotent ass up!

Accelerated Regeneration - Makes medicines affect you a lot faster, causing you to respectively regenerate faster. Also heals 1% overall health. Stacks with Minor Regeneration, procs more often than minor regeneration. Makes nutriment drain faster.

Hyper Regeneration - Basically, changeling regeneration but you're actually awake and feel the pain before it goes away. You can still die easily with this. Stacks with minor regeneration and accelerated regeneration. Dying will remove this effect from the DNA strain.(0.06% chance to be spawned into the SE field every round.)

Rebreathing - Basically. You have no need for OXYGEN. Cause. Fuck you, Vox. I feel that the negative should be lungs still rupturing due to SPACE and PRESSURE. If that's not already a thing.

Remote Projection - The ability to project an image to someone as if you were an AI hologram. Silly, right? That's why it's pending, baka. Projection causes active genetic strain at a slow rate which gets faster the less your nutriment is. Also uses nutriment when projecting.

Minor Speed Boost - Removes the weight reduction from gear and such, allowing for full mobility. This power is proc'd before all other genetic powers, causing these powers to still reduce your speed.

Major Speed Boost - Increases your base speed, allowing you to go even faster than before!~ It'll proc after the minor speed boost. This way, you can have your base speed increased while also having genetic powers affecting your overall speed! Confusing, but still overpowered. Might need a different negative here.

Enhanced Telekinesis - Allows you to move more items at one and larger items. Mutation Form Of: Telekinesis (Meaning that you can't obtain it without having Telekinesis.) Moving items now costs nutriment and gives active genetic straining.

Wallphase - Phasing through walls. Cause why not. Moving into a wall causes you to automatically keep moving until you hit another wall or a floor tile (this includes space.) Afterwards, you'll need 5 - 12 seconds to recover. This gives immense active genetic strain as well as provides an immense passive genetic strain. Not suited for using with other powers. Wall phasing will be toggle-able.

Universal Digestion - The ability to eat anything. Not sure everything would give you nutrients though. Let's make everything give a random amount of nutrients and such. Eating and using items will be toggle compatible. I don't know any negatives for this.

(Need more here.)

-------------------------------------
Disabilities Pending

Voices - Like hallucinations but you know. Voices! Hear shit! Literally. It'll be weird mobs interacting with you and shit.

Hallucinations - You know. Yeah. Mindbreaker Toxin style no jutsu whatever.

Clumsiness - Isn't this already a thing? Maybe I should make a leveled up version that's even more debilitating than guns blowing up in your face.

Dizziness - I suppose that in a sense, being lightheaded gives that effect. Maybe I'll add in the effect of when you're confused via cryptobillin and drunkness, causing you to not move straight.

Blindness - Looking for suggestions to upgrade. Gonna make it so blindfolds and such can see emotes so. YOU KNOW!

Deafness - We have this, but it can always be better. Maybe periodical.

Vore Locking (HEAVILY PENDING.) - Basically, locks your vore status to either digesting people or holding people. One or the other. Need to find some way to add this without making it easy to avoid or breaking people's OOC Prefs/Ruining the round. Might scrap it, might not! Who knows! You do? I don't!

(Need more here.)

-----------------------
Genetic Side Effects

Improper Limb Functions - Random limb stops functioning properly.

Brain Damage - Cause. Genetic alteration? Of course that'd be expected.
(Need even more here.)

Animalistic Noises - BARK BARK. WOOF. ACKACKAWOOOO. SQUEAK SQUEAK.

(We need more here. Literally. Is this topic ded? It is! Bump!~)
----------------------------
Chemistry Stuff!~
----------------------------
I also plan on making making chemistry a bit more interesting. Mainly? Isotopes. If you don't know what an Isotope is, let's put it like this.
You know how chemicals are made of the basic stuff right? Atomic Number, Atomic Mass, Neutrons, Protons, Electron Clouds and the such? If you don't, go take a chemistry class or something. Anyhow. Let me be nice and explain some chemistry here. Atomic Number is the number that defines the damned chemical. Element 1 is Hydrogen. We know this. Atomic Mass or AMU is how much it weighs basically. I don't feel like explaining this stuff.

Short version is. Isotopes mean that you'll have the same element, but a different effect from it. Also usually means radiation, alpha gamma and beta particles and stuff. Blah blah blah. I plan on adding chemicals to go along with these extra effects for some of the Isotoped Chemicals. I'unno. I'd like opinions on this too.

I also plan on adding stuff like electron clouds, protons, neutrons, electrons, ions, antions, cations, isotopes, all that stuff and the ability to make custom chemicals and special effects for them! Have fun making Tetrahydrocannabinol or whatever the fuck, people! (Please don't mistake tetrahydrocannabinol for magnetohydrodynamical.)

------------------------------------------
Species Skills, Innate Skills, Possible Perks?!
-------------------------------------------
Lastly! I plan on adding in innate skills for species and such. Like, Micros will get the ability to go under tables and such, things with wings will be able to float, etc. You get the point! My original idea was to add in skills for people to pick from off the setup menu that gave them bonuses such as gun accuracy, using their wings to floating, all that! But you know. We can't all have what we want. Any ideas on how you'd guys would want this and what you admins think would be greatly appreciated! (Might still do it anyway.)

Remember people. Things take time to code in. Be patient. Provide output to better the end result. Share this with yer friends. I don't know. What happens, happens. Such is life. I'll just wait for this to get more attention. Ya know?

So yeah! I'd like all your opinions, ideas, suggestions and such! Let me just fill myself to the brim with DETERMINATION.
Last edited by EmoxNeko on Sat May 28, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 12 times in total.
EmoxNeko

Re: Genetics Overhaul and Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul.

Postby Travisplo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Mmmmmmm, I don't think "Hyperawareness looks all that good, if I'm perfectly honest. But the other things look great!~
Travisplo

Postby EmoxNeko » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Travisplo wrote:Mmmmmmm, I don't think "Hyperawareness looks all that good, if I'm perfectly honest. But the other things look great!~

I had it mainly planned for uhh. Centcomm officals anyway. I'unno.
EmoxNeko

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:31 pm

So... Most of this stuff seems to be more useful for antags than anything else. Of course, such things would be useful for a gateway mission or for a hostile admin event, or when Toxins says "Don't worry, I learned from my mistake last time, it won't happen agai--BOOOM!!!", paramedics could use this some of these I guess...

I personally wouldn't mind. But it MAY be best to set the antag stuff on the shelf, pitch it towards a server that actually has player antags.

As for disabilities... Clumsiness, dizziness, genetic damage (If we get that, Chemistry will NEED a good way of getting Rezadone other than trying to round up the xenobiologists, RD, and possibly even the HoS and Captain in order to get Science to get gold slimes and hope for a carp)... Blindness, deafness, abnormally shaped limbs, dis-figuration of both the face and vocal chords... Possibly some vore-themed disabilities? Ones that would disable the ability to vore people? Or a disability that no longer allows them to choose between digesting or holding prey, having it be 'locked' to one or the other until it's fixed.
"Your stomach lets out a quiet rumble as it fills with digestive acids." and something to go along with an 'endo-only' disability. I think that'd be kinda neat.

Then, uh... Brain damage would be another one. And there's already a chance of getting fractures while doing genetics stuff. I'm personally looking for things that would be more damaging than hallucinations and hearing voices, because there are players who will ignore those. It's already seen plenty enough when the SM blows. People hallucinate that they're being attacked, but they RP it like "Oh, yeah, mind giving me some medicine so this monkey will stop beating my face in?", like it's no big deal.

Of course, there's... always the concern on my part that these will be abused. But I think that can, for the most part, be handled on a case-by-case basis. If a geneticist goes insane and turns themselves into a superhero and does annoying shit like steal things from security using the wallphase and speed boost powers, I'd personally want them to be job-banned from geneticist and CMO (since CMO has access as well).

As for the "Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul" bit... What exactly do you mean by this? Do you want geneticists to have to get more stuff from Chemistry and other departments in order to get everything done? Or is this a more broad, multi-part thread that wishes to overhaul Genetics AND Chemistry? Because, well... Geneticists have access to everywhere in Medbay. And so does everyone else in Medical (with the exception of the genetics lab. AFAIK only the CMO, Captain, HoP and Geneticist have access to Genetics, maybe the HoS and a few people from Science too, but as far as Medical goes, ONLY the CMO and Geneticist). Now, doctors and chemists USED to be able to go into genetics. But because a few idiots decided "Hey, I should totally just eat all of the protohumans that the geneticist is working on!", it got restricted.

If geneticists start requiring things from Chemistry, the Chemist and CMO ((and probably any staff online at the time)) will have to keep an eye out to see if the geneticist lets themselves into Chemistry and does it themselves as well, this is especially important at the beginning of the round and much less so a few hours into it, because Chemistry actually has a LOT to get done. I personally can drain BOTH dispensers and still have a few things I want to have made before I can say "Yes, we're well-stocked, we're ready for anything." So if a geneticist runs into Chemistry and uses a lot of energy for the stuff they need, well then I can't do what /I/ need to do as a Chemist/CMO.

So... with all of that said... I like it. We should probably write up and agree on a few rules for this, though. Like in general, "No handing out super-powers unless the relevant Heads of Staff all agree upon it." as in, the CMO, RD, and whichever Head who oversees the person receiving the power(s). Then, the antag powers would an absolute "If you hand it out, you're getting brig time and you might just have your work erased, at the discretion of the CMO/RD." With that in mind, yes, it CAN be abused... But so can everything else. Chemistry and toxins can outright destroy the station. And since ryetalyn can be used to pretty much instantly get rid of ALL of these, all you need is an Ody, syringe revolver, or a chem sprayer filled with the stuff and if you can catch them, they're done.
Wickedtemp

Postby EmoxNeko » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:12 pm

So... Most of this stuff seems to be more useful for antags than anything else. Of course, such things would be useful for a gateway mission or for a hostile admin event, or when Toxins says "Don't worry, I learned from my mistake last time, it won't happen agai--BOOOM!!!", paramedics could use this some of these I guess...

I personally wouldn't mind. But it MAY be best to set the antag stuff on the shelf, pitch it towards a server that actually has player antags.

Yeah. It was mainly just to add some spice into genetics, give them something other than the basics to use and for events and such. I'll note this though. In all honesty, the more important part is just adding to genetics in general. Not everything is needed to be fixed or altered.

As for disabilities... Clumsiness, dizziness, genetic damage (If we get that, Chemistry will NEED a good way of getting Rezadone other than trying to round up the xenobiologists, RD, and possibly even the HoS and Captain in order to get Science to get gold slimes and hope for a carp)... Blindness, deafness, abnormally shaped limbs, dis-figuration of both the face and vocal chords... Possibly some vore-themed disabilities? Ones that would disable the ability to vore people? Or a disability that no longer allows them to choose between digesting or holding prey, having it be 'locked' to one or the other until it's fixed.
"Your stomach lets out a quiet rumble as it fills with digestive acids." and something to go along with an 'endo-only' disability. I think that'd be kinda neat.

Oh dear. I like all of these ideas. I'm gonna update the list with them right now. Danke for your input. Although, I'd still like more...severe debilitation such as the vore lock but less likely to break/ruin a round due to OOC prefs.. Anyone can deal with blindness and deafness and the such. But on a station where people are extremely likely to vore you and you're locked to digesting them? Maybe make it periodical? Where it turns on and off between digesting and holding from time to time? That wouldn't work well, but mainly. My concern is. I'd like debilitating things, but I don't want OOC prefs to be broken or them to be absurd. Ya know?

Then, uh... Brain damage would be another one. And there's already a chance of getting fractures while doing genetics stuff. I'm personally looking for things that would be more damaging than hallucinations and hearing voices, because there are players who will ignore those. It's already seen plenty enough when the SM blows. People hallucinate that they're being attacked, but they RP it like "Oh, yeah, mind giving me some medicine so this monkey will stop beating my face in?", like it's no big deal.

Oh. I thought fractures when doing genetics was removed. It never happened to me. Silly to assume, seeing as I could've just checked the coding. Anyhow. Players do ignore those things a lot. You're right. Which is why I'm asking for help. Brain damage is an extremely good one. If you're altering genes, it'd be extremely likely that brain damage could happen. So why not? But would this be a disability where it has to be triggered or a side effect that can randomly happen every radiation burst? Because for the side effects, I'd like debilitating things such as brain damage and such. Just like toxins is a side-effect that literally nearly always happens every radiation burst. Ya know? Once again. I'd like them to be reasonable albeit debilitating.

Of course, there's... always the concern on my part that these will be abused. But I think that can, for the most part, be handled on a case-by-case basis. If a geneticist goes insane and turns themselves into a superhero and does annoying shit like steal things from security using the wallphase and speed boost powers, I'd personally want them to be job-banned from geneticist and CMO (since CMO has access as well).

I actually had a plan to put a 'genetic strain' option onto people. Where if they have too many genetic powers or use them too often, they'll literally practically kill themselves or hurt themselves pretty badly. Not sure what you think about this, but I'd appreciate input.

As for the "Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul" bit... What exactly do you mean by this? Do you want geneticists to have to get more stuff from Chemistry and other departments in order to get everything done? Or is this a more broad, multi-part thread that wishes to overhaul Genetics AND Chemistry? Because, well... Geneticists have access to everywhere in Medbay. And so does everyone else in Medical (with the exception of the genetics lab. AFAIK only the CMO, Captain, HoP and Geneticist have access to Genetics, maybe the HoS and a few people from Science too, but as far as Medical goes, ONLY the CMO and Geneticist). Now, doctors and chemists USED to be able to go into genetics. But because a few idiots decided "Hey, I should totally just eat all of the protohumans that the geneticist is working on!", it got restricted.

I edited this after you posted, but I don't honestly know why geneticists get access to the medbay and are expected to do the job of medical. They simply press the cloning scanner button to scan and clone people then toss them into a tube with clonex and such. Every medical personnel is expected to know that. Otherwise, they're literally all science. Also. This is a multi-thread. I had planned on adding in stuff to chemistry like Isotopes and such. Not sure, but if anything else is there that you'd like added, do run it by me.
If geneticists start requiring things from Chemistry, the Chemist and CMO ((and probably any staff online at the time)) will have to keep an eye out to see if the geneticist lets themselves into Chemistry and does it themselves as well, this is especially important at the beginning of the round and much less so a few hours into it, because Chemistry actually has a LOT to get done. I personally can drain BOTH dispensers and still have a few things I want to have made before I can say "Yes, we're well-stocked, we're ready for anything." So if a geneticist runs into Chemistry and uses a lot of energy for the stuff they need, well then I can't do what /I/ need to do as a Chemist/CMO.

I personally think that giving geneticists access to the research outpost or adding a chemistry lab to the lab would work fine in my opinion. Avoids the problem of medbay being drained. Not sure how else to input on this. I'm the person here who thinks Geneticists should only know what they need to know to do their job IC-Wise. I don't really think that knowing chemistry for other things than the basics to cure genetic debilitations and cure toxins and such would be needed. That doesn't mean they don't have to know. Ya know? Just saying. From a job standpoint, this would be highly logical. Not sure why Central doesn't get off their asses and fix that. Maybe it doesn't need fixing. I'unno.

So... with all of that said... I like it. We should probably write up and agree on a few rules for this, though. Like in general, "No handing out super-powers unless the relevant Heads of Staff all agree upon it." as in, the CMO, RD, and whichever Head who oversees the person receiving the power(s). Then, the antag powers would an absolute "If you hand it out, you're getting brig time and you might just have your work erased, at the discretion of the CMO/RD." With that in mind, yes, it CAN be abused... But so can everything else. Chemistry and toxins can outright destroy the station. And since ryetalyn can be used to pretty much instantly get rid of ALL of these, all you need is an Ody, syringe revolver, or a chem sprayer filled with the stuff and if you can catch them, they're done.

Well. I'll see what others have to say and possibly write up some rules right now to all of this. I'm glad you took the time to respond and i'm rather grateful for your input and such. I'll be sure to try and get the admins to tune in to all of this as well. But yeah. For now, suggestions and such if you have anymore would be greatly noted. With that, I go back to whatever!
EmoxNeko

Postby Wickedtemp » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:31 pm

Honestly, as a Chemist/CMO player I can't really think of all that much that Chemistry can't fix. I know that Colonial Marines has a chemical called 'Quick-Clot' which instantly heals internal bleeding, but we don't really NEED that. If it'd be added, I'd personally just keep it a secret, don't tell anyone the recipe and let them figure it out. Then, we need a better way to get Rezadone. I've already made a suggestion about this, Ace shot it down and just said "cooperate with xenobio."... Well, see, you'd need to convince the RD to allow this quite dangerous job. Second, you'd need to convince the xenobiologists to do it. Third, the Captain at any point could say "Too dangerous, don't do it.". Fourth, you'd need assistance from Security, so they'd have to cooperate as well. All it takes is ONE of these people to say "No." and there it goes, down the drain.

The limiting factor here is carpotoxin. So... What if the recipe for Rezadone was replaced with something else? Maybe slime jelly? Chemistry would still need to rely on Xenobio/Science for it, and it's a much more realistic goal that's more likely to be accomplished.

" Although, I'd still like more...severe debilitation such as the vore lock but less likely to break/ruin a round due to OOC prefs.. Anyone can deal with blindness and deafness and the such. "
How about adding straight up paralysis, or the inability to speak at all?

" I thought fractures when doing genetics was removed."
It MAY have been, but if it was, it'd have to be REALLY REALLY recent. I THINK it's still in.

"I actually had a plan to put a 'genetic strain' option onto people. Where if they have too many genetic powers or use them too often, they'll literally practically kill themselves or hurt themselves pretty badly. Not sure what you think about this, but I'd appreciate input."

You can have it cause genetic damage, which AFAIK lowers base health. At the moment it's only treatable via cryo, since it's not really possible to get Rezadone.

" I don't honestly know why geneticists get access to the medbay and are expected to do the job of medical."
It's mainly for the same reason chemists have access to the OR's, doctors have access to Virology, and Nurses have access to the Chem lab. A lot of times the manifest will just be full of nurses. Well, if that nurse doesn't have access to chemistry, good luck getting anything made. And since we have people who have IC knowledge for pretty much every department plus Captaincy, saying that someone is a surgeon/doctor but also knows chemistry isn't really that far of a stretch. So... since Virgo has an occasional problem where not all the roles are filled and not everyone is doing their job, the people that ARE active need to be able to get everything done, hence the ability to go anywhere in Medical, save for genetics now. Nurses, Doctors, and Surgeons (MAYBE virologists..?) are all expected to pretty much do the same job, since they're all alt-titles of Doctor. Chemists, Psychiatrists, and Geneticists only have to know THEIR specific job...but if they know more, it's not really a big deal.

"I personally think that giving geneticists access to the research outpost or adding a chemistry lab to the lab would work fine in my opinion."
Agreed. Honestly, geneticist is more Science than Medical, I'd personally be in favor of moving it actually INTO science. Cause, look at it this way... The lab is pretty much IN MEDBAY... Yet the CMO has the smaller chunk of authority over what the geneticist actually does. From what I understand, CMO has authority over what the geneticist does for cloning and probably healing people with genetic injuries. Other than that? The whole job of Geneticists? None. No real control over what they do, despite the fact that it's being done in MEDBAY... So, yes, I'd be in favor of moving genetics to a different location, however that would need to be approved by Staff beforehand.

And lastly... Just thought of a power, or at least something that could be changed... Blood types.
Wickedtemp

Postby Qwaar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:07 am

Clearly you should have a genetic anomaly that uses the same symptoms seemingly as the fractures, but also gives some manner of regen that if you aren't paying attention you could miss. If not dealt with quickly enough, speech is replaced with barking in place of random words. Turns victim into Ian/Renault.

edit: Alternatively, just a disease that picks an animal at random for the start, and replaces random words with its typical sounds.

Double Edit: Make that even worse, and like teurettes, where you bark/chirp/meow randomly as well.
Qwaar

Postby EmoxNeko » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:03 am

Honestly, as a Chemist/CMO player I can't really think of all that much that Chemistry can't fix. I know that Colonial Marines has a chemical called 'Quick-Clot' which instantly heals internal bleeding, but we don't really NEED that. If it'd be added, I'd personally just keep it a secret, don't tell anyone the recipe and let them figure it out. Then, we need a better way to get Rezadone. I've already made a suggestion about this, Ace shot it down and just said "cooperate with xenobio."... Well, see, you'd need to convince the RD to allow this quite dangerous job. Second, you'd need to convince the xenobiologists to do it. Third, the Captain at any point could say "Too dangerous, don't do it.". Fourth, you'd need assistance from Security, so they'd have to cooperate as well. All it takes is ONE of these people to say "No." and there it goes, down the drain.

The limiting factor here is carpotoxin. So... What if the recipe for Rezadone was replaced with something else? Maybe slime jelly? Chemistry would still need to rely on Xenobio/Science for it, and it's a much more realistic goal that's more likely to be accomplished.

I see, I see. If I can get permission from some admins, I might be able to toss in some secret recipes/Central Only Recipes. As for changing the Rezadone recipe, I highly agree with this. Ya know? Slime Jelly is way more reasonable than to try and find space carp in order to actually get such a thing.

" Although, I'd still like more...severe debilitation such as the vore lock but less likely to break/ruin a round due to OOC prefs.. Anyone can deal with blindness and deafness and the such. "
How about adding straight up paralysis, or the inability to speak at all?

Eh. I suppose so. They both allow for emotes to still be done. It can easily work. If you have anymore, I'd like them.

" I thought fractures when doing genetics was removed."
It MAY have been, but if it was, it'd have to be REALLY REALLY recent. I THINK it's still in.

It probably still is in and I just never triggered it. I'll check the code to double check though.

"I actually had a plan to put a 'genetic strain' option onto people. Where if they have too many genetic powers or use them too often, they'll literally practically kill themselves or hurt themselves pretty badly. Not sure what you think about this, but I'd appreciate input."

You can have it cause genetic damage, which AFAIK lowers base health. At the moment it's only treatable via cryo, since it's not really possible to get Rezadone.

Genetic Damage would be good too, but the point of the strain is to lower base health and lower max speed as a sort of poison that can only be cured by cryo, Rezadone or by removing a power to reduce the strain. There'll be an 'Active' genetic strain meter and a 'Passive' genetic strain meter. The 'active' meter would record strain that adds on to the 'passive' meter and monitors the usage of powers and such and how much they'll strain you. If the number goes over the total 'genetic' strain allowed, it'll then start to hurt you, lowering your base health and keeping it there until you go under the total strain allowed. I might make it so a certain fraction of the strain received stays with you and is only curable via cryo or something. Not Ryetalyn as it wouldn't be a genetic defect.

" I don't honestly know why geneticists get access to the medbay and are expected to do the job of medical."
It's mainly for the same reason chemists have access to the OR's, doctors have access to Virology, and Nurses have access to the Chem lab. A lot of times the manifest will just be full of nurses. Well, if that nurse doesn't have access to chemistry, good luck getting anything made. And since we have people who have IC knowledge for pretty much every department plus Captaincy, saying that someone is a surgeon/doctor but also knows chemistry isn't really that far of a stretch. So... since Virgo has an occasional problem where not all the roles are filled and not everyone is doing their job, the people that ARE active need to be able to get everything done, hence the ability to go anywhere in Medical, save for genetics now. Nurses, Doctors, and Surgeons (MAYBE virologists..?) are all expected to pretty much do the same job, since they're all alt-titles of Doctor. Chemists, Psychiatrists, and Geneticists only have to know THEIR specific job...but if they know more, it's not really a big deal.

Eh. I've argued this point a lot. Just you know. Makes no sense as to why a geneticist which is more science than medical is expected to be a part of medical. Honestly might just wait for genetics to move to science and such. I'unno.

And lastly... Just thought of a power, or at least something that could be changed... Blood types.

Blood Types, Blood Color. Yep. Yep. I'll add it to the list.
EmoxNeko

Postby EmoxNeko » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:04 am

Qwaar wrote:Clearly you should have a genetic anomaly that uses the same symptoms seemingly as the fractures, but also gives some manner of regen that if you aren't paying attention you could miss. If not dealt with quickly enough, speech is replaced with barking in place of random words. Turns victim into Ian/Renault.

edit: Alternatively, just a disease that picks an animal at random for the start, and replaces random words with its typical sounds.

Double Edit: Make that even worse, and like teurettes, where you bark/chirp/meow randomly as well.

Eh. I...guess? I'll...just slowly put that on the list for now.
EmoxNeko

Postby NobodySpecialzz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Might also want to emphasis the fact of debating where genetics belongs. It's in medbay. But they shouldn't be there all that much. No access to science, but has access to the science wing. Where do we belong?! Seriously. I'd like some input on this as well.

My opinion believes that it shouldn't be in the med bay. Genetics should reside within the science department. If they need hyranolin? Geneticists should ask the chemistry labs for it, much akin to bartenders requesting reagents for their booze, or xenobotanists for unstable mutagen or radium.

Yes, it makes sense that it's adjacent to the cloning labs, but no, I don't understand why they get unrestricted access to the medical bay, yet barely any access to the science labs.

Reflex Dodging/Hyper Reflexes - Increases dodge, allows for dodging of bullets, increases dodge chance when facing danger (when facing the object you are trying to dodge.)

Pretty nifty. Seems more robust-y than roleplay-y from my perspective, but I'm not complaining.

Hyperawareness - You literally get a radar on your screen. It'll say something like this. Well. IT WILL SAY THIS. OR WILL IT?
You begin to sense the presence or lack of presence of others around you.
(Might make it so updating jobs via ID Alteration changes blimp color accordingly.)
Red blips on the map are Security. (Bugged.)
White blips are civlians.
Monochrome Green blips are cyborgs and AIs.
Light blue blips are heads of staff.
Purple blips are unidentified organisms.
Dead biologicals will not display on the radar.

So it's the combination of the suit sensors interface and the security HUD? Or an additional HUD blip that appears as a literal radar on the players client?

Reinforced Skin - Basically, it'll increase your defenses towards everything energy/projectile/vore based. Reduces brute damage taken by 15%.

Right! A simple and decent concept. Though what will the sprite look for when a subject has this genetic trait? Or will there be no visual indication of it? Also! In addition for vore based mechanical damage (Which is a combination of burns and brute damage, leaning more so towards burns), those who have this genetic trait also get the 15% brute resistance, on top of the digestion damage?

Muscle Enhancer - The complete opposite of Reinforced skin in a sense. Increases your chance to break limbs with your hits, increases brute damage dealt by 15%. That's really it. Minor, really. More of an antag thing if anything.

Reinforced Skin is the defensive gene, whilst Muscle Enhancer it the offensive counterpart. Neat-o!

Electrical Hands - Basic Harm Intent when unarmed is replaced with electrocuting people. Might make it so it functions as a multi-tool for hacking doors. Might also add in just toggling electric punches or electric touches. Again. More of an antag thing.

Stuuuuuuun gloooooves! Make this have a downside to using them, like how arachnids need nutriment to spin webs. Stuns are a powerful mechanic. Needs to have its downsides! I can see this easily being abused as well. There's no downside to having it at this rate.

E-Sword Materializer - This is obviously for ANTAGS only and would be an admin spawnable DNA Injector Item only. Like the others. (Probably.) Obviously. Anyhow. By using a certain emote, you'll be able to literally create a handheld energy sword in your hands. Neat-O, right?

It's certainly a nice concept to add to what the admoons can do during antagonist rounds. I can personally can see this being a fun idea to roleplay out, as ludicrous as it sounds!

Remove Viewing - The Ability to well. See people anywhere, from afar. You won't be able to hear them meaning no emotes and such as well. But you'll know their location!

So it's something akin to the AI's cameras around the station, except it's unrestricted vision?

Shapeshifting - Really? Do I need to explain this to anyone? Myself? DEFINITELY NOT.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of geneticists, depending on how you look at it? A crew member comes strolling on into the SCIENCE (Hinthint) department with discolored skin and wants that to be reverted. Do you just mutate the skins pigment, or just slap them with a shapeshifting genetic strand? Of course, morphing skin colours is just a minor ordeal. How specific would the character's transformations be when they have access to the shapeshifting trait?

Minor Regeneration - Heals 1% overall health, curing respective damages and such every so often.

Natural healing on this server's already potent enough as it is. What interval would this healing take place at? Every tick? Every few seconds? Certainly seems like the genetics equivalent to a beneficial pathogen! If this does get implemented, I'm curious -- Would this be something forms have to signed over, or just a simple "Hey, chief medical officer. Can I give this genetic modification to crew members who are willing to have it?"

Matter Materialization - Not sure how to play it off, but the gist is. You'll be able to create items so long as you have the materials and such. Kinda like Synthesis in a Tales Of Game or any RPG game, really. Become the best Prolathe/Autolathe ever.

It's futuristic alchemy. Have steel in your right hand, glass in your left, somehow open up the proto/autolathe menu through the powers tab, and poof. You're an alchemist that can contest with the gods of the lathes.

Accelerated Regeneration - Makes medicines affect you a lot faster, causing you to respectively regenerate faster. Also heals 1% overall health. Stacks with Minor Regeneration, procs more often than minor regeneration.

So this genetic alteration will cause chemicals to metabolize at a faster rate? Meaning 10 units of tricordrazine would heal the same amount, but at a faster rate? That would be lovely.

Rebreathing - Basically. You have no need for OXYGEN. Cause. Fuck you, Vox.

Right, no oxygen. Does this mean that people can jump on out into space and not have to worry about their lungs collapsing in on themselves? Because that would be nice. We have too many people already suffering from that ailment when they have a tank in their hands and they forget to switch on their internals!

Every other genetic related defects are a-okay by my standards. I never liked genetics in a med to high RP server since that department feels more robust-y/mechanical than anything.

Aaaaaand then there's isotopes. I'd love to see the chemistry labs be more complicated than it currently is. Heck, it might just be because the servers I play on all have a similar chemistry code and that I'm getting bored with the repetition of making the exact same chemicals. I'll take any change, and the concept of adding isotopes to chemistry is something I'd love to see. I'd love to see a more in-depth explanation to your planned changes to the chemistry labs, if you have any solid ideas for it!
NobodySpecialzz

Next

Return to Coding