Genetics Overhaul and Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul.

Screw up game balance and fix bugs by creating more bugs. Now you too can join the discussion. This is where the magic happens. Sometimes actual magic.

Re: Genetics Overhaul and Assistance/Chemistry Overhaul.

Postby EmoxNeko » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:26 am

EmoxNeko wrote:
Wickedtemp wrote:
I'd be happy to assist with the wiki page, if ever needed.

Danke, Danke. Well. Let me update the main post first then I'll see about what I'll add and naught add in terms of chemistry.

Post has been updated. Do tell me what you think, peoples.
EmoxNeko

Postby Zeke Sturm » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:26 am

Just a bit of input here on something else that could be done with genetics - I'd mentioned this in another thread I popped up but I haven't gotten around to fixing the code I had in mind yet for testing and such. But to dampen some of the bloody RNG of genetics, it might be worth looking into calibration. Like, by default, it's just as stupid and RNGey as it was before, BUT. With calibration you can make each radiation dose move things closer and closer to the same spot. Eventually you could have consistent, or near-consistent results, though I'd keep in the slim chance for modifying the wrong block, since radiation is a finnicky beast.
Zeke Sturm

Postby EmoxNeko » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:47 am

Zeke Sturm wrote:Just a bit of input here on something else that could be done with genetics - I'd mentioned this in another thread I popped up but I haven't gotten around to fixing the code I had in mind yet for testing and such. But to dampen some of the bloody RNG of genetics, it might be worth looking into calibration. Like, by default, it's just as stupid and RNGey as it was before, BUT. With calibration you can make each radiation dose move things closer and closer to the same spot. Eventually you could have consistent, or near-consistent results, though I'd keep in the slim chance for modifying the wrong block, since radiation is a finnicky beast.

I'unno why everyone calls genetics hard. All you have to do is modify the block you want by putting the target-block option in the UI to B or C and then going to the SE and modifying blocks when there's absolutely NO radiation in the system. It's the best way for powers. For disabilities, just don't worry about the targeting in the UI block and just go crazy on the first sub-block. Anyhow. You can still provide information on this 'calibration' since the amount of radiation increases the chance of mutating a wrong block as well as getting the same block. Lastly.

Pulsing radiation exists for a reason. To make sure that you don't mutate the wrong block by pressing that button and shoving the chance out the window. Mutate a random block, don't get disturbed with your actual work.

In my opinion, this isn't needed. But hey! Maybe we can make it work!
EmoxNeko

Postby Mech__Warrior » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:42 pm

To be honest, I'd like to switch the pulsing of radiation over to something closer to real-life genetics, where you have to pair C,G,T, and A together in order for the mutations to work. (C,G,T, and A are actually abbreviations of amino acids) But perhaps instead of outright telling people what mutation they've unlock, perhaps it should be more of a mystery that the player, and give them several ways to figure it out. What ways these are, I don't know off the top of my head.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby EmoxNeko » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Mech__Warrior wrote:To be honest, I'd like to switch the pulsing of radiation over to something closer to real-life genetics, where you have to pair C,G,T, and A together in order for the mutations to work. (C,G,T, and A are actually abbreviations of amino acids) But perhaps instead of outright telling people what mutation they've unlock, perhaps it should be more of a mystery that the player, and give them several ways to figure it out. What ways these are, I don't know off the top of my head.

So basically. For every power to spawn in with a randomized mutation strain? So instead of DAC+ it could possibly be something like. 231?

While another would be 105?
EmoxNeko

Postby Mech__Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 am

EmoxNeko wrote:
Mech__Warrior wrote:To be honest, I'd like to switch the pulsing of radiation over to something closer to real-life genetics, where you have to pair C,G,T, and A together in order for the mutations to work. (C,G,T, and A are actually abbreviations of amino acids) But perhaps instead of outright telling people what mutation they've unlock, perhaps it should be more of a mystery that the player, and give them several ways to figure it out. What ways these are, I don't know off the top of my head.

So basically. For every power to spawn in with a randomized mutation strain? So instead of DAC+ it could possibly be something like. 231?

I suppose, though that's going to probably frustrate a lot of players now that I think about it.
On again/off again coder/mapper.
Mech__Warrior

Postby antsnap2 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:38 pm

EmoxNeko wrote:

That might make genetics too annoying, which is the current issue with genetics atm. It's too annoying and tedious, and when you actually get powers, they are frowned upon since danger.

Right now one of the biggest issues is that DAC+ is hard to get too with the current radiation system. Either lower it to 800 for consistency or, the better solution, change the DNA modifier consoles.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby EmoxNeko » Mon May 02, 2016 11:07 am

antsnap2 wrote:
EmoxNeko wrote:

That might make genetics too annoying, which is the current issue with genetics atm. It's too annoying and tedious, and when you actually get powers, they are frowned upon since danger.

Right now one of the biggest issues is that DAC+ is hard to get too with the current radiation system. Either lower it to 800 for consistency or, the better solution, change the DNA modifier consoles.

I'll put this into consideration. Although. One Question. What do ya mean by Change the DNA Modifer Consoles? How would they be changed? Can't pull a Mettaton on this system or it might just get all borked. Hue.
EmoxNeko

Postby antsnap2 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:31 pm

EmoxNeko wrote:I'll put this into consideration. Although. One Question. What do ya mean by Change the DNA Modifer Consoles? How would they be changed? Can't pull a Mettaton on this system or it might just get all borked. Hue.

Right now the DNA modifier factors in the subject's radiation level when determining the success of changing an SE block. However, it factors in radiation A LOT. Additionally, the process is somewhat random to begin with (intensity one wont always increase by 1 even with 0 rad in the patient). As a result, you have high randomness, which is unfun in a case like this, because you'll target one block and irradiate 2 others because lmao balance. Sure, you can keep your patient/test-monkey at 0 rads through rejuvinators, but those take time to work, time to get, time to put into the machine etc., and I don't think it will be a high priority for medbay, and even then isn't full proof. Also, some are talking about moving genetics out of medbay entirely, so good luck getting anti-rad meds then.

I use to do botany a lot, but some times plants/trays will randomly get mutations and take literal hours to grow. If you utilize all trays constantly, then late into the shift all plants are dead or stuck in perpetual non-harvestable stage. That's not fun. It's similar with genetics atm, people get sick of things out of their control. It might be interesting/fun the first few times--especially if the randomness is in your favor--but it will quickly become tired and non-rewarding at best, or unfairly punishing at worst.

Of course the counter is always "but rejuvinators/anti-rads-in-trays/whatever", but the process-fixers are often time consuming, tedious, requires multi-job cooperation and is unfun. By the time you even cordinate it properly on most servers, the round is already over. We are, of course, an exception with our 6 hour rounds, but it's still not parturally fulfilling, and when you end up having to do it every shift just to get one job to work well.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Previous

Return to Coding