Adding new species is a fucking mess.

Screw up game balance and fix bugs by creating more bugs. Now you too can join the discussion. This is where the magic happens. Sometimes actual magic.

Adding new species is a fucking mess.

Postby Aces » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Does anyone know how to do this correctly with new Bay code? We need to port Akula and Sergal species to the new code.
Aces

Re: Adding new species is a fucking mess.

Postby Tasald » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:55 am

ask the other server? they have quite a few dont they?
Tasald

Postby Scree » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:32 am

Citadel runs /tg/code. Which is surprising considering that base /tg/ only has lizards and humans while bay are the ones that are all "muh aliens" with the different species.
Scree

Postby Aces » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:53 am

Tasald wrote:ask the other server? they have quite a few dont they?

Completely different code. Also more simplified in this regard.
Aces

Postby orbisa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:25 pm

Right now, my report with species is this.

I was able to add both races, create the new language, was able to pick them and such.

Still working on color selection, that's not working for now. (This one could be tricky, depends on how easy to find is the current code for it and if the new code likes it) We can give color to anything, but little bug on color selection, wich makes it moot, have to fix it or it won't be viable.

Tails aren't showing, must be something small, will be the first thing that I get into. (shouldn't take long)

Hairstyles are being tricky too, so they are to be done after tails (Dunno how much this will take, hopefully an hour only) Hairstyles found, they have a lot of race specifics. I think Tajarans styles can work on sergals, not sure, too sleepy, will have to ask tomorrow.

and lastly, hardsuits. (should be easy, if time consuming a bit)

I will probably leave a flag like the other races have for reagents, since there are some reagents that react differently to certain races. commented, but flag is there

I need sprites for the rigsuits, will probably use one of the other races sprites for now.
Last edited by orbisa on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Aces » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:57 pm

orbisa wrote:I need sprites for the rigsuits, will probably use one of the other races sprites for now.

Use Unathi suits as a placeholder for now. I converted Unathi suits to work for Akula and Sergals.
Aces

Postby orbisa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:07 pm

While we are at it, I need a small text for Sergals and Akulas, for example, this is tajarans

The Tajaran race is a species of feline-like bipeds hailing from the planet of Ahdomai in the \
S'randarr system. They have been brought up into the space age by the Humans and Skrell, and have been \
influenced heavily by their long history of Slavemaster rule. They have a structured, clan-influenced way \
of family and politics. They prefer colder environments, and speak a variety of languages, mostly Siik'Maas, \
using unique inflections their mouths form."
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Aces » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Aces

Postby orbisa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:01 pm

ok, this is how Hairstyles work

spiky //name of the hair
name = "Spiky" //name that appears on the hair selections)
icon_state = "hair_spikey" //icon name
species_allowed = list("Human","Unathi") //list of races that can use the hair, for all they don't appear. Machine people only take styles out of their lists
//gender = MALE //gender restriction,. if any, default is this doesn't appear so it's unisex.

edit: Duh, the file is code\modules\mob\new_player\sprite_accesories.dm
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby orbisa » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:22 am

Just so people know, we got these dealt with for a while already, working on slimes and their temperature code
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Return to Coding