Saving character info at round end?

Screw up game balance and fix bugs by creating more bugs. Now you too can join the discussion. This is where the magic happens. Sometimes actual magic.

Saving character info at round end?

Postby Aces » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Throughout a game, we might tweak things like our security records, our flavor text, our hair style, etc... but unlike most stations, we have a persistent storyline. Does anyone know how to make it possible to save these values at the end of a round, or when you jump into cryosleep?

Knowing how to do this would enable all kinds of possibilities.
Aces

Re: Saving character info at round end?

Postby Wickedtemp » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:37 pm

Miiiight be a bit weird if the "set pose" thing carries over. But other than that, it's neat! If we can find a way to make "Comments" made by doctors on medical records, and the same for security/employment records, that'd neato.
Wickedtemp

Postby Aces » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:45 pm

Set pose isn't something that is in the character menu so it would not be saved.
Aces

Postby Scree » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:45 am

Wickedtemp wrote:If we can find a way to make "Comments" made by doctors on medical records, and the same for security/employment records, that'd neato.

Waaaaay too easy to troll.
Scree

Postby Wickedtemp » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:56 am

Scree wrote:
Wickedtemp wrote:If we can find a way to make "Comments" made by doctors on medical records, and the same for security/employment records, that'd neato.

What if the comments were always "signed" by the person who made them, by default? At least that way, people would know who it was.
Wickedtemp

Postby Scree » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:26 am

Wickedtemp wrote:
Scree wrote:

What if the comments were always "signed" by the person who made them, by default? At least that way, people would know who it was.

Even so, that comes with other complications. What if someone hit the character limit? What if someone decided to just erase people's records and they didn't have them saved in a .txt file to put them back?

Saving character info across rounds is good, but the point is that it's your character. I certainly wouldn't want someone else scribbling all over my profile.
Scree

Postby Aces » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:27 am

Okay so no permanent alteration of IC records.
Aces

Postby rikaru19 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Scree wrote:
Wickedtemp wrote:
Scree wrote:

Even so, that comes with other complications. What if someone hit the character limit? What if someone decided to just erase people's records and they didn't have them saved in a .txt file to put them back?

Saving character info across rounds is good, but the point is that it's your character. I certainly wouldn't want someone else scribbling all over my profile.

But I wanna scribble on it with crayons...

Good point though, it opens up grief moments.
rikaru19

Postby Kayleen » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:29 am

This seems like it would make it far too easy to accidentally wipe out your flavor text or records.
Kayleen

Postby Aces » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:30 am

Well there's still other stats beside that which I want to save at round end.
Aces

Next

Return to Coding