Should we switch to GOON's code?

Screw up game balance and fix bugs by creating more bugs. Now you too can join the discussion. This is where the magic happens. Sometimes actual magic.

Should we switch to goon's code?

yes
22%
no
56%
undecided
22%

Total votes : 18

Should we switch to GOON's code?

Postby An Angry Frenchman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 am

Hello chaps,

As we know, one of GOON's coders leaked their server's code for everyone to use. Considering the amount of things we could get from using this code i was thinking of asking if our server should switch to goon's code.
I will be honest, i do not like our current bay's code. I find it slow and limited. I do think we would gain in things to do and general content if we fused goon's code with our vore code. Also, i do not think it will affect our capacity to scene on station so don't worry about rps and getting hit by meteors while sliding down someone's throat.

Anyhow, id love to hear your opinion on this and fill up the poll!

cheers!
Last edited by Aces on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: allowed users to change vote
yay to old ghosts!
An Angry Frenchman

Re: Should we switch to GOON's code?

Postby Aces » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:24 am

No.

The code is leaked, for one. While that in it of itself I don't care about, stealing their entire code is a dick move above and beyond what I am willing to do. I'm going to pillage a few things like their anti-Ban Evasion code, but until I get more info, that's it.

If Goon decides they no longer give a shit and just says "fine you can have it" then maybe we'll port. Maybe.

Until then I do not want any more discussion of this on the forum. There will be no decision on this.

/thread

P.S. The UI is broken anyway. Probably separate code.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/ ... tion_team/

https://github.com/GoonRelease/GoonRelease
Last edited by Aces on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Things change!
Aces

Postby orbisa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:37 pm

things that need to be adjusted before the initial release

-vore functions
-micro/macro
-skin code
-taur code
-races code
RetiredEnslaved Coder
orbisa

Postby Wickedtemp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:55 pm

Okay, so... I'd like to see new features, and from what I've heard Goon has many, many cool bits and pieces.

But for me, personally, I hope it won't be anything TOO game changing... I've played nothing but Bay-code servers so my experience has been fairly limited. Or... At least if we do decide to use something like goonchem, that it's a slow transition.

But, uh.. Yeah! I'd be down for new things.
Wickedtemp

Postby Vorrarkul » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:04 pm

I voted undecided, because I've seen plenty of sprites and talk about their code, but I have never been on Goonstation and so I do not know what it is like to play, so I have to remain on the fence about this.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Scree » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:18 pm

Not played on goon, but from what I understand a lot of their "faster pace" comes from taking a massive hatchet to atmo code. Sure, it's faster, but you can literally open an airlock and stand next to it without getting blown out.
Scree

Postby Aces » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm voting no. I like Baystation's code and all its details. I'd rather port things.
Aces

Postby Dhaeleena » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 am

I like baystation more, i feel like goon is more fast pace, i dunno, i have played other servers and i always found Baystation better for RP. I feel we should just stay in Bay and port what we like and want. Instead of having to start from cero on a new code practically.
Dhaeleena

Postby Wickedtemp » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:44 am

Wickedtemp wrote:Okay, so... I'd like to see new features, and from what I've heard Goon has many, many cool bits and pieces.

But for me, personally, I hope it won't be anything TOO game changing... I've played nothing but Bay-code servers so my experience has been fairly limited. Or... At least if we do decide to use something like goonchem, that it's a slow transition.

But, uh.. Yeah! I'd be down for new things.

To clarify, this is my way of saying "I think we should stick to bay and cherry-pick bits and pieces from what looks appealing from goon."
Wickedtemp

Postby Knightfall » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:23 am

I've played on Goon quite a bit, and was a member of the secret science club that hoarded all the secret science stuff. That codebase is just not suited for the play style here, at all. The things their R&D department alone can do is absurd, I'm not kidding when I say that just touching an artifact can result in an explosion that destroys around a fifth of the station. It would be easier to take the various things and port them to this code than it would be to remove all the easter eggs that either kill you or half the station.

Edit - PORT THE BEES THOUGH, GOON BEES ARE THE BEST
Knightfall

Next

Return to Coding