Should we switch to GOON's code?

Screw up game balance and fix bugs by creating more bugs. Now you too can join the discussion. This is where the magic happens. Sometimes actual magic.

Should we switch to goon's code?

yes
22%
no
56%
undecided
22%

Total votes : 18

Re: Should we switch to GOON's code?

Postby antsnap2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Knightfall wrote:I've played on Goon quite a bit, and was a member of the secret science club that hoarded all the secret science stuff.

The allure of gooncode--aside from its optimizations at the expense of gutting atmos realism--is secrets. The whole reason their code was closed source was so they could keep their cute little secrets within in-crowds. Secrets do not engender good communities; they cause divisions, and resentment towards admins and coders, the latter group meant to serve the former.

During my brief time as a player on goonstation, I can tell you the code is entirely based around admin busing and that of unopposed traitors. If you had a problem with their style of playing/administration/whatever, tough shit, you cannot port the code. And since access to the code was limited, unless you were an IRC dudebro you couldn't make a feature yourself, being limited to suggesting it.

Even their anti-ban-evasion code isn't that great (iirc it's just a cookie they store in the byond cache, which is clearable within the client so...), being eclipsed by the built-in sticky ban feature.

Now that it's suddenly out, people will probably take the good bits and pieces sure, but overall I think it will be quite underwhelming. I won't lie, I am incredibly satisfied that their cute little bubble has busted; any server that even attempts to limit access to their codebase is damaging to the overall ss13 community. They also hold the insolent belief that they are chill enough to handle egregious conflicts of interest (moderating the ss13 subreddit, for example).

Ultimately, careful consideration should be taken before porting anything significant, since the playstyle is vastly different, and not conducive to the 5-hour extended RP shifts we have here.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Postby Wickedtemp » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Knightfall wrote:I've played on Goon quite a bit, and was a member of the secret science club that hoarded all the secret science stuff. That codebase is just not suited for the play style here, at all. The things their R&D department alone can do is absurd, I'm not kidding when I say that just touching an artifact can result in an explosion that destroys around a fifth of the station. It would be easier to take the various things and port them to this code than it would be to remove all the easter eggs that either kill you or half the station.

Yeah, there's a video on YouTube where a guy made a custom flamethrower mix on Goon, used it ONCE, and it blew up a good portion of the station. So that's a bit worrying to know that, if someone knows what they're doing, they can make a super-weapon.
Wickedtemp

Postby Aces » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:38 pm

Topic moved to code forum.
Aces

Postby Knightfall » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:47 am

antsnap2 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I've played on Goon quite a bit, and was a member of the secret science club that hoarded all the secret science stuff.

The allure of gooncode--aside from its optimizations at the expense of gutting atmos realism--is secrets. The whole reason their code was closed source was so they could keep their cute little secrets within in-crowds. Secrets do not engender good communities; they cause divisions, and resentment towards admins and coders, the latter group meant to serve the former.

During my brief time as a player on goonstation, I can tell you the code is entirely based around admin busing and that of unopposed traitors. If you had a problem with their style of playing/administration/whatever, tough shit, you cannot port the code. And since access to the code was limited, unless you were an IRC dudebro you couldn't make a feature yourself, being limited to suggesting it.

I have to disagree with that quite a bit, only a few people had access to the code to look at the secrets, and many of the admins themselves didn't know some of them. Once you learn one or two of the secret recipes yourself, other people who also did that will actively help you and share with you because you put in that effort. I didn't get invited into a secret club, I earned my way in. Goons have every right to keep their code secret, the most fun aspects of it are all the telescience missions that would be utterly ruined if people could look at the code.

Not to mention that the goons released their version of the code years ago that every server today is built off of, they had no obligation to do that. Baystation, TGstation, all of them, exist because of Goonstation. SS13 today exists because of Goonstation.
Knightfall

Postby Aces » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Opinion is overwhelmingly against porting to Gooncode. We will not, then.
Aces

Previous

Return to Coding