More vore mobs

Screw up game balance and fix bugs by creating more bugs. Now you too can join the discussion. This is where the magic happens. Sometimes actual magic.

What should the default options for digestability and animal-noms be?

Allow the player to be digested and allow the player to be eaten by mobs at roundstart
32%
Allow the player to be digested but disallow the player being eaten by mobs at roundstart
No votes
Disallow the player being digested but allow the player to be eaten by mobs at roundstart
50%
Disallow both digestion and mob vore at roundstart
18%

Total votes : 22

More vore mobs

Postby Nightwing » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:13 pm

This is a lil' discussion thread I'm opening up for ideas on vore mobs I can add to the game. Obviously I can't do anything for any of them until I get sprites, but after that point, the sky's the limit. (It'sfunnybecausewe'reaspacestation)

Gryphons
[+]
Why: Since we don't have a sec pet at the moment, I figured I'd make one. The idea was not to go with something terrifying that wouldn't represent sec at all (like Admiral Chang), but something that people would hopefully enjoy seeing around the station and getting eaten by. I picked gryphons because they're a combination between bald eagles and lions (national animals of the USA and the UK respectively - most of our players are one or the other, I think), which are seen as majestic and powerful without striking fear into everyones' hearts, which is kinda what sec should be going for. Also I like gryphons, sue me c:

Behaviour: Non-hostile (primarily) creature who eats people it finds IF it catches them alone (ie if it can walk up to them and nobody else is on-screen as far as it can tell) - kinda a stealth-nom mob.

Location: Security. Probably HoS's office, to be let out to roam often.

Snakes
[+]
Why: Snakes are a staple pred and replace Poly as the CE's pet, because fuck Poly. For a more in-depth explanation, I thought a colourful-yet-lazy creature was a better fit for the engineering department than a fucking flying rainbow that never stops doing things.

Behaviour: I was thinking of a hunger mechanic for this one. Firstly, it tries to eat people who attack it. Secondarily, it tries to eat people who hold a snek snak in its presence for too long without feeding them. Thirdly, it would target small-sized or smaller crew if its hunger was below a certain value.

Sharks/Orcas/Dolphins
[+]
Why: We got no predators on the beach! Plus by introducing aquatic mobs we open up the way to water-based gateway missions.

Behaviour: Sprite remains mostly invisible in deep water with just a fin visible from above when they come within say 5 squares of their targeted prey. Breach the water adjacent to the target, then go back to swimming after eating.

These are of course open for people to chat about and add to! If you want to ask about anything here, go for it! This threat is for discussion! If you wanna add your own to my list, I've left a template below, and I can add your suggestion to the list if people are on board with it!

Suggestion template:
Code: Select all
[spoiler][b]Why:[/b]

[b]Behaviour:[/b]

[b]Location:[/b][/spoiler]

Concerns
Something you're worried about? I'll try to post answers to questions here.

I don't like mob-vore and I don't think you should include it
Hush you. The very next update I release will include a button that fully disables mobs from being able to eat you.

But if people toggle their digestion off, a hostile mob will just eat them and let them sit there while they beat the mob to death from the inside! That's so unbalanced!
We thought of this back when I started adding mob vore. When hostile mobs are implemented which are vore-capable, they'll first check whether their target allows digestion. If not, they won't try, because it'd be a pointless attack.
Last edited by Nightwing on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightwing

Re: More vore mobs

Postby jemli » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Nightwing wrote:But if people toggle their digestion off, a hostile mob will just eat them and let them sit there while they beat the mob to death from the inside! That's so unbalanced!
We thought of this back when I started adding mob vore. When hostile mobs are implemented which are vore-capable, they'll first check whether their target allows digestion. If not, they won't try, because it'd be a pointless attack.

Would a change to the character set up so that you don't have to toggle digestion every single shift be a good suggestion for this?
jemli

Postby Vorrarkul » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:19 pm

I second the ability to toggle characters as not digestible as the standard. For instance, Rylee is ICly indigestible due to her xenomorph blood making her both acidic and resistant to acids, but I frequently forget to set the toggle ingame.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Nightwing » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:57 pm

I probably wouldn't have it as standard, but if there's enough call for it, I'll make it so. And I'm hoping to make the entire inside panel, where these options will eventually be moved to, into a part of the character creation screen, including saving.
Nightwing

Postby Molenar » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:58 pm

honestly i would say the setting should be varied dependant on the nature of the mob. for example, the pet mobs, yes, i'd say have the digestability turned off by default.

On hostile mobs in a gateway and such, i'd say have it on by default, just another means of them damaging you as an attack is how i'd see it. pref breaking? maybe for those that don't want to be digested, but, at the same time, gateway stuff I see as a means to be challenged, and having mobs not damaging people just because they don't want to be, seems powergamey. and the damage they might be able to do to you otherwise could be more easily avoided if they ignored you as potential noms.

ones on the station however, where we have a RP environment more than action, I'd say have digestion off by default, and having the auto target toggle bit would be more convenient for those not wishing to interact with mobs in a preyish way.
Molenar

Postby jemli » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:27 pm

I think what was being said is like having a way to save if you're digestable or not on the character set up, rather than having to toggle it manually each time you go on station.
jemli

Postby Nightwing » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:52 am

jemli wrote:I think what was being said is like having a way to save if you're digestable or not on the character set up, rather than having to toggle it manually each time you go on station.

This is the intention, but as far as I'm aware, this can't be achieved in-game and has to be done at the character creation screen. I'm talking about values to be set before those variables are touched, what they say before you've even set them, so what happens if you just create a random character and join without changing those variables.
Nightwing

Postby Gramzon_the_Dragon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:29 am

I'd personally vote disable mobvore at start. I mean... How enjoyable is it really to be suddenly grab n gulped by a mindless NPC? How often are people planning to let themselves get eaten by station pets? I would wager it would be really annoying after a couple shifts to be walking about and suddenly get eaten because the HoS decided "lol, gotta let out my griffin so he can go eat some crew".

If someone sees a nearby animal and decides they want it to eat them, they can just quick toggle it on so trouble will ensue. That way you dont have some pet trying to scarf you down when you tab out to check something because you forgot to toggled off mob vore. and honestly my character would beat the pet to death with a crowbar/baton because pred bias and forgetfulness...
Gramzon_the_Dragon

Postby Vorrarkul » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:32 am

Wish I could change my vote, I didn't think about the micro CMOs.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Nightwing » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Vorrarkul wrote:Wish I could change my vote, I didn't think about the micro CMOs.

*subtly enables re-voting*
Nightwing

Next

Return to Coding