I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Make shiny things to maybe appear in game. Or just dump all the sprites you've been working on. We might use some of them, or other people might use them.

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Postby lordquailius » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:56 am

I think it would be really awesome to get into spriting (literally my first attempt at this), though I'm a little bit lost at the moment, especially in terms of porting in different body parts (I've been trying to work on different antler styles in proportion to human head). Can someone make a step-by-step "explain it like I'm five" tutorial on this sort of thing? The wikipage on this is a little bit confusing.
lordquailius

Re: I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Postby MatchaFrappe » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:58 pm

I would also like a guide on this...anyone willing to make one?
MatchaFrappe

Postby Molenar » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:10 am

easiest i find, is when you're starting out, try using whatever might be closest to what you're after, and modify it to suit your needs. Avoid trying anything that requires immense detail because it will be difficult to impart it onto a 32x32 sprite, and even more so for the part displaying on the character as a mere fraction of that size. start with simple stuff, recolors, slight modifications, and once you get used to how it works, you can jump up to more complex stuff. Gotta learn to crawl before ya can run sort of thing. Most of the time what I will do is use a combination of an older version of MS paint, and a free online program that functions kinda like photoshop. it's called Sumo Paint.
Molenar

Postby antsnap2 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:52 am

Molenar wrote:easiest i find, is when you're starting out, try using whatever might be closest to what you're after, and modify it to suit your needs...

That's very good advice, but they might want more basic stuff.

https://wiki.baystation12.net/Guide_to_Spriting

Spriting is straightforward. Basically, in your byond installation folder, is a program called Dream Maker. This is used for Coding/Maping/Spriting/Everything. Open this program. Then, you have to download our code from github. Open the .dme (dream maker environment) and go to the icons folder. There you will find the sprite files ".dmi". Then, the above guide takes over.
Antsy Coder. Characters: Muffy (drider), Jaslene (naga), Susan (slime), Miki (oni), Alythess (Demon)
antsnap2

Return to Spriting