Programs? Spriters advice and suggestions.

Make shiny things to maybe appear in game. Or just dump all the sprites you've been working on. We might use some of them, or other people might use them.

Programs? Spriters advice and suggestions.

Postby Molenar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:27 am

Just curious what everyone is using in this sort of thing, personally I use MSpaint for a lot of the work, Currently have both the windows 8 and the XP versions loaded, also known to use Sumopaint.com for ease of coloring, and the dreammaker built in sprite editor. all of these together are what I have used to make a number of things so far, A few sets of kitsune tails, the spidertaur body, and a custom labcoat for my main.
I lack the knowledge of how everything works on the coding end of things, but I can make the spriting part of things work pretty well with what I have.

If anyone would like the old XP version of paint I can stick it in my dropbox and post a link, as for the rest, you should have easy access.

The more recent paint programs I find to be kinda a pain in the ass for spriting, but the old one seems fine by me.

Sumopaint, doesn't work well for drawing sprites, but is amazing for color manipulation once you figure it out, (very similar to older photoshop)

the Dream maker, really, is not the greatest thing, but, it does make transparency stuff fairly easy, and you need it to extract the images from DMI files as far as I am aware. I wouldn't recommend using it for the entire project on any job though.
Molenar

Re: Programs? Spriters advice and suggestions.

Postby Kligor » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:37 pm

I usually use GIMP 2.8 for my sprites cause of the layers and the familiarity I have with it.
Kligor

Postby Molenar » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:55 am

not familiar with GIMP myself, but I'll have a look at it. Layers would be nice.
Molenar

Postby Aces » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Use Gimp. Best alternative to photoshop I know of.
Aces

Postby Vorrarkul » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:57 pm

I personally use paint.net, but I don't edit images often.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Postby Scree » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Gimp, and make sure you get the FX-foundry plugin for dem layer effects. I don't do so many comics these days, but fuuuuck being able to put an outer stroke on text is something sorely missing from basic GIMP.
Scree

Return to Spriting