Automated Antagonists

Suggest new things or complain about things that suck/are broken. Work with people to better your idea(s), or help each other figure out how to fix something that isn't working as you thought it should. Getting feedback for your characters can also be done here.

Automated Antagonists

Postby Vorrarkul » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Imagine, as a random event, the game will select one person who has event preference set to either kill, eat, or kidnap (hereafter called the target), and one person who has set themselves as an event volunteer (called the volunteer). It will then grab the target's OOC Notes, and show them to the volunteer, and ask if they are compatible. If the volunteer says yes, it will then show them the preference they set (kill/eat/kidnap) and ask if they want to become an antagonist with this objective. If yes, then they are automatically assigned as an antagonist.

What if the target is already in a scene or otherwise occupied?
Well, you could possibly give them a notification box asking if they are willing to be a possible target when the event happens, not even asking the volunteer about them if they say no, and instead trying to grab someone else who has set their event preference for targeting. Or, at the most simple, the volunteer could ask the admins to de-antag them if the target is already in a scene.

What if the volunteer agrees to someone whose prefs are very much not compatible and tries to force them into a scene?
Again, the admins could be brought in since this is direct breaking of the station OOC rules.

I believe this system would encourage people to find scenes, let people get scenes they may not otherwise have gotten, and possibly even help break up cliques by convincing preds to go after people other than their usual prey.

I will edit this (and mark edits) as feedback is given.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vorrarkul

Re: Automated Antagonists

Postby Kona » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 pm

So is it just one person per round, or..?
Kona

Postby Vorrarkul » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Well, it would in theory pick different volunteers and targets for each run, and it would run randomly, the chance weight can be tweaked. I imagine volunteers and targets who are already assigned to each other would be excluded when the event searches for viable subjects. It could be just once a round, or it could assign two or three people each round. It all really depends on a single variable changing the weight of the event, and how many of these auto-antags we want to see.
Vorrarkul

Postby Kona » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:36 pm

I think it would be interesting if there were more than one dangerous hungry pred running around! As well, each one could have multiple targets x) that way if something blocks them from one target they have options.

I would also like to see other objectives such as maybe trying to steal stuff, cause with cloning it's kind of unlikely that someone getting ate would be all that big of a deal :X not enough to stir things and make the round more interesting for everyone. That is just my opinion, anyway.
Kona

Postby Suicidalpickles » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Oooo. Although I'm one to not involve myself in scenes frequent due to the fact that I rarely approach first, I can see this as a sort of method of viewing one's preferences and getting into a habit of doing it more. I could see this tying in with some sort of popup panel likewise to what RP-Rev uses for when somebody denies/joins, though of course with further details and a more scene leaned setting. I wouldn't know exactly how the game would count some objective such as kidnapping as complete, perhaps that'd need admin intervention to tick that objective to greentext. As for people who wouldn't want to involve themselves, they could simply leave event prefs off as usual; I doubt there'd be complaints from them. Overall, it sounds like a pretty nifty idea to have, with a certain paranoia over one another, I doubt it'd be too abuseable unless it were the case that the victim accidentally somehow selected the wrong prompt, though a quick adminhelp would probably easily fix that. Sorry if I got a bit too repetitive there in my wording, I usually don't rant like this, but I found it worth the time for something game changing like this, yaya!
Suicidalpickles

Postby Vorrarkul » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:53 pm

I mean, we don't even need to make them actual antags; at minimum, we could give people a way to 'see' the pref markings and that may help facilitate scenes, just not as directly as the method I described in the OP.
Vorrarkul

Postby Kona » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:36 pm

I want antags though! People who do things to make things interesting. Also I think that making it a goal could motivate people to actually use it. I dunno.

I just want jobs to be more interesting and I think having antags would help that.
Kona

Postby Scree » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:21 am

I'd like it as a menu that admins can bring up. Just a "who's on that would like to be a pred today" list so we don't have to ghost around and look for people with pred in their OOC notes.

After that it's just a matter of turning their predhud on. Like, it's literally a feature we can use. I'd be wary of letting it fire automatically and unsupervised though.
Scree

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, and Troubleshooting